[comp.lang.fortran] lowercase letters, was Re: semicolon

wsb@boise.Eng.Sun.COM (Walt Brainerd) (11/15/90)

In article <3976.2741683a@cc.nu.oz.au>, c0037544@cc.nu.oz.au (David Williams) writes:

> FORTRAN, the language that is so old, it was around before lower case letters.

On the front cover of my copy of the first Fortran manual IBM produced
for the IBM 704, it says "Fortran"  (cap "F", lowercase "ortran").
--
Walt Brainerd        Sun Microsystems, Inc.
wsb@eng.sun.com      MS MTV 5-40

corbett@lupa.Eng.Sun.COM (Robert Corbett) (11/15/90)

In article <2795@exodus.Eng.Sun.COM> wsb@boise.Eng.Sun.COM (Walt Brainerd) writes:

>On the front cover of my copy of the first Fortran manual IBM produced
>for the IBM 704, it says "Fortran"  (cap "F", lowercase "ortran").
>--
>Walt Brainerd        Sun Microsystems, Inc.

At the top of each page of the seminal paper by Backus, et. al.
it says FOTRAN, all caps, only one 'R.'

					Yours truly,
					Bob Corbett

wsb@boise.Eng.Sun.COM (Walt Brainerd) (11/16/90)

In article <2825@exodus.Eng.Sun.COM>, corbett@lupa.Eng.Sun.COM (Robert Corbett) writes:
> >On the front cover of my copy of the first Fortran manual IBM produced
> >for the IBM 704, it says "Fortran"  (cap "F", lowercase "ortran").
> >Walt Brainerd        Sun Microsystems, Inc.
>
> At the top of each page of the seminal paper by Backus, et. al.
> it says FOTRAN, all caps, only one 'R.'
> 		Yours truly, 	Bob Corbett

My point was not that there is more/earlier/better
precedent for "Fortran", but that there is _some_ precedent.
As we all know it was almost always FORTRAN until the late 1970s
(even inside the 704 manual).