[comp.lang.fortran] Fortran for MS Windows 3.0?

mcarrick@gara.une.oz.au ( ANSC) (11/27/90)

Can anyone help us with some recommendations for Fortran for MS
Windows 3.0? Also comments on the relative virtues of Lahey and
Watfor would be helpful
Thanks
Mick Carrick

ndoduc@framentec.fr (Nhuan Doduc) (11/27/90)

In <4784@gara.une.oz.au> mcarrick@gara.une.oz.au ( ANSC) writes:
>Can anyone help us with some recommendations for Fortran for MS
>Windows 3.0? Also comments on the relative virtues of Lahey and
>Watfor would be helpful

As far as I understand, Lahey in real or protected mode is a very good, and
fast, compiler, although we may say so of MicroWay, FTN77 ...

I'v just run a benchmark with watfor but do not have an opportunity to touch
it much, so I've no comment.

About Fortran for MSWindows: (I'm afraid that I'm erring here!) only MS C
versions 5.1 and 6 have Windows flags and MS Fortran 5.x doesn't yet have
those switchs. I know of no other fortran that has those : c'est le dernier
de mes souhaits !

--nh
Nhuan DODUC,
Framentec-Cognitech, Paris, France, ndoduc@framentec.fr or ndoduc@cognitech.fr,
Association Francaise des Utilisateurs d'Unix, France, doduc@afuu.fr

PS: I wonder whether MS Fortran version >= 6 will have dos-extended mode ?

sichermn@beach.csulb.edu (Jeff Sicherman) (11/28/90)

In article <1553@ftc.framentec.fr> ndoduc@framentec.fr (Nhuan Doduc) writes:
>In <4784@gara.une.oz.au> mcarrick@gara.une.oz.au ( ANSC) writes:
>>Can anyone help us with some recommendations for Fortran for MS
>>Windows 3.0? Also comments on the relative virtues of Lahey and
>>Watfor would be helpful

   ... deleted ...

>About Fortran for MSWindows: (I'm afraid that I'm erring here!) only MS C
>versions 5.1 and 6 have Windows flags and MS Fortran 5.x doesn't yet have
>those switchs. I know of no other fortran that has those : c'est le dernier
>de mes souhaits !

   But MS Fortran can be linked with MS C by using interface statements
(yes this is non-standard, but so is Windows). Does this solve the needs
for switches or is it a main program issue ? (excude ignorance please)

>PS: I wonder whether MS Fortran version >= 6 will have dos-extended mode ?

  I wonder if anyone at MS is even doing anything about Fortran or just
waiting for ANSI 90 version to make it worthwhile. I have my doubts about
dos-extended because MS has a strong not-invented/controlled here prejudice
and donnt expect major dos-dependent changes until dos 5.0 released and
the DPMI spec is more formalized and complete.

hadgraft@civeng.monash.edu.au (Roger Hadgraft) (11/28/90)

In article <4784@gara.une.oz.au>, mcarrick@gara.une.oz.au ( ANSC) writes:
> Can anyone help us with some recommendations for Fortran for MS
> Windows 3.0? Also comments on the relative virtues of Lahey and
> Watfor would be helpful
> Thanks
> Mick Carrick

At the moment you can't write all of a Windows program in Fortran. However, you
can do mixed language programming by using MS C for the Windows bit, and MS Fortran
for the number crunching. Microsoft intend releasing a WIndows compatible
version of their Fortran sometime next year :-). (BTW, I haven't actually done
this myself. I'm just quoting one of the MS gurus I heard last week).
--
Roger Hadgraft                  |  hadgraft@civeng.monash.edu.au
Lecturer in Civil Engineering   |