[comp.lang.fortran] Conversion from RATFOR to FORTRAN

maas@topgun.UUCP (Lynn D. Maas) (11/30/90)

I am looking for software that will convert RATFOR source code to FORTRAN 77
or 90 source code.  There are specific reasons for converting to FORTRAN
instead of C or someone's other favorite language so there is no need to
use bandwidth to discuss the "right" thing to convert the RATFOR to.

The RATFOR that I need to convert consists of about 250,000 lines of source
and also includes a very capable macro substitution capability.  I have
plans for handling the macro substitutions but suggestions are welcome.
The RATFOR preprocessor being used generates FORTRAN IV source with the
usual implementation of looping via IFs and GOTOs which causes compiler
optimizations to be minimal.

The RATFOR software currently runs under DEC/VMS and I would like to move
along a migration path of RATFOR VMS --> FORTRAN VMS --> FORTRAN Unix.
Any and all suggestions or experiences related to this effort will be
appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Lynn Maas
Advanced Graphics and Parallel Systems
Los Alamos National Laboratory
maas@agps.lanl.gov

flack@sc2a.unige.ch (11/30/90)

In article <251@topgun.UUCP>, maas@topgun.UUCP (Lynn D. Maas) writes:
> I am looking for software that will convert RATFOR source code to FORTRAN 77

  Try contacting syd@xtal.uwa.oz.au  - he's got a good RATMAC preprocessor.

   H. D. Flack

   Laboratoire de Cristallographie       !  Telephone     [+[41] 22] 702 62 49
   University of Geneva                  !  Telefax       [+[41] 22] 781 21 92
   24 quai Ernest-Ansermet               !  Telex         ch-42 11 59 siad
   CH-1211 Geneve 4                      !  e-mail        flack@sc2a.unige.ch
   Switzerland                           !

fox@DASHER.NSCL.MSU.EDU (11/30/90)

In article <251@topgun.UUCP>, maas@topgun.UUCP (Lynn D. Maas) writes...

>I am looking for software that will convert RATFOR source code to FORTRAN 77
>or 90 source code.  There are specific reasons for converting to FORTRAN
>instead of C or someone's other favorite language so there is no need to
>use bandwidth to discuss the "right" thing to convert the RATFOR to.
>
>The RATFOR that I need to convert consists of about 250,000 lines of source
>and also includes a very capable macro substitution capability.  I have
>plans for handling the macro substitutions but suggestions are welcome.
>The RATFOR preprocessor being used generates FORTRAN IV source with the
>usual implementation of looping via IFs and GOTOs which causes compiler
>optimizations to be minimal.
>
>The RATFOR software currently runs under DEC/VMS and I would like to move
>along a migration path of RATFOR VMS --> FORTRAN VMS --> FORTRAN Unix.
>Any and all suggestions or experiences related to this effort will be
>appreciated.

	I always thought that RATFOR originated on UNIX and was
part of that set f programs in the UNIX programmer's workbench
	Ron

Ron Fox                     | FOX@MSUNSCL.BITNET      | Where the name
NSCL                        | FOX@CYCVAX.NSCL.MSU.EDU | goes on before
Michigan State University   | MSUHEP::CYCVAX::FOX     | the quality
East Lansing, MI 48824-1321 |                         | goes in.
USA

wgh@ubbpc.UUCP (William G. Hutchison) (12/03/90)

> In article <251@topgun.UUCP>, maas@topgun.UUCP (Lynn D. Maas) writes...
>
> >I am looking for software that will convert RATFOR source code to FORTRAN 77
> >or 90 source code.  [ ... ]
> >
> >The RATFOR software currently runs under DEC/VMS and I would like to move
> >along a migration path of RATFOR VMS --> FORTRAN VMS --> FORTRAN Unix.

 I was going to tell you to use the RATFOR preprocessor, but then I
read your posting [ :-) ] and I decided to post this response:

 The only folks I know who still work with RATFOR are at Cobalt Blue
2940 Union Avenue, Suite C, San Jose, CA 95124.

 They sell lots of conversion utilities, and probably the one you want.
You might want to call Clyde Lightfoot or Beverly Lightfoot at 408-723-0474
for more info.

 There, I refrained from recommending you convert to C [ :-)) ].
Besides, I like C++ more now anyway!!
--
Bill Hutchison, DP Consultant	rutgers!cbmvax!burdvax!ubbpc!wgh (work)
Unisys UNIX Portation Center	uunet!eidolon!wgh (home)