[net.movies] The Breakfast Club

cs2532aa@unm-cvax.UUCP (02/18/85)

[De chicks, dey can' hol' dere smoke.  Thaz' what it is.]

This evening, I was fortunate enough to go see "The Breakfast Club".  This
is without a doubt the best movie that I have seen in several months.  (I
haven't seen "The Killing Fields" or "Passage to India" yet, so no flames
please!)  Without making a spoiler warning necessary, I will say that this
is a movie about five high-school students of widely different backgrounds and
interests who, for various reasons, spend a Saturday detention together and
find themselves becoming friends.  I can say as a recent high-school grad that
this movie is right on target, and that I enjoyed it immensely.  I didn't
go with a girlfriend, but I have a feeling that this would be a great movie
to take your SO to see.  It's amazing how well the makers of this movie have
us pegged . . . I recognized all the characters as people I know, and saw
quite a bit of myself in them too.  Go see this movie if you can.

		.rne.

(By the way, I think it says something about the movie rating system that
 a movie about high-school students -- and a very touching and true-to-life
 one at that -- has a rating that is intended to keep most high-school people
 from seeing it.  Sad.)

-----
Real World . . Ernie Longmire / 311 Don St. SE / Los Lunas, NM  87031-9405
UUCP . . . . . {{purdue,cmcl2,ihnp4}!lanl,ucbvax}!unmvax!unm-cvax!cs2532aa
GalactiNet . . 1/MkyWy/r9.844-T00.05'24"-S206.28'49"/3/U.S.AT&T/5058655516
Scotch . . . . Dewars
-----
"Ooooooh, it's those damn kids!"

manheimer@nbs-amrf.UUCP (Ken Manheimer) (02/22/85)

Here's another resounding recommendation for The Breakfast Club.  I
wish I had time to organize and present my thoughts about it; in brief,
intense (both positive, negative, and incidental) relationships that
form between a diverse collection of kids sentenced to a day of
detention are portrayed with conviction and sincerity, giving (me, at
least) a sense of genuine insight and contact between (and with) these
distinctly various people.  The editing and premise are at times a little
rough (did anybody else notice awkward gaps in the continuity of the
"encounter session" obviously due to edits?  Or get bothered by the
overcharacterization of the teacher?), but the acting is ~excellent.

Pause for breath.

I cherish those occasions when a film maker manages to convey a sense
of humanity and genuine energy in their films.  Some of the peculiar
(and some not so peculiar) films I've particularly enjoyed (that come
to mind just now) are:

Walkabout,
Oh Lucky Man,
Local Hero,
Casablanca,
Performance,
Little Big Man,
The Karate Kid (a recent surprise),
  I'm forgetting some, alas, but remembering to include:
The Breakfast Club.

etc,
Ken Manheimer		seismo!nbs-amrf!manheimer
			(Existence is influence.  Probably.)

rsg@cbscc.UUCP (Bob Garmise) (02/25/85)

This may have already been answered, but...was the jock in the movie
Martin Sheen's son? Sure looks like him.
...bob garmise...at&t bell labs, columbus...

rjw@ptsfc.UUCP (Rod Williams) (02/27/85)

In article <4868@cbscc.UUCP> rsg@cbscc.UUCP (Bob Garmise) writes:
>This may have already been answered, but...was the jock in the movie
>Martin Sheen's son? Sure looks like him.
>...bob garmise...at&t bell labs, columbus...

 Yes - Emilio Estevez is Martin Sheen's son. Estevez is Sheen's real
 last name (don't know about the Martin part).
--

 rod williams
 --------------------

boyajian@akov75.DEC (02/28/85)

> From:	cbscc!rsg	(bob garmise)

> This may have already been answered, but...was the jock in the movie
> Martin Sheen's son? Sure looks like him.

Well, I haven't seen THE BREAKFAST CLUB yet, so I don't know if he plays
"the jock", but, yes, Martin Sheen's son is in the movie. His name is
Emilio Esteves (Sheen's original surname), and he has also appeared in
two other movies that I know of: NIGHTMARES (the "Bishop of Battle" story)
and REPO MAN.

--- jayembee (Jerry Boyajian, DEC, Maynard, MA)

UUCP:	{decvax|ihnp4|allegra|ucbvax|...}!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-akov68!boyajian
ARPA:	boyajian%akov68.DEC@DECWRL.ARPA

thoma@reed.UUCP (Ann Muir Thomas) (03/23/85)

The criticisms of The Breakfast Club are not unfounded. The characters ARE
stereotyped, and the movie obviously is targeted towards teenagers. It also
contains sequences that are commercially oriented, especially the dance
sequence towards the end which obviously will be presented as MTV material.
HOWEVER

*****THIS IS A MOVIE THAT ANYONE WHO IS INTERESTED IN WHAT GOES ON*****
*****IN MIDDLE-CLASS HIGH SCHOOLS SHOULD SEE.

including just about every teenager I know (I'm lucky enough to be beyond that
categorization, at least in terms of real-time.)

I've seen TBC twice, with people from my high school, and even though we are
supposedly beyond that age, it got us thinking...and I hope that it has te same
effect on all those kids who are seeing it.

What would I change about it?? The ending. Being somewhat offbeat myself (sort
of a cross between the "recluse" and the "brain") I wish that the characters
hadn't been so definitely paired off at the end, with the "brain" losing out
as usual. Claire(the "prom queen") and John (the "criminal") seem to have a
basis for a relationship in her desire to rebel. But I didn't like the
implicit message of the makeover of the "recluse" into a "beautiful" girl:
that a girl has to pretty herself up to be desireable. None of the MALE
characters had to go through such a radical change to fit into the movie's
conclusion. Maybe I'm being idealistic, but that's just me. A valid question
is "What if the 'recluse' had been male?" .....one alternative ending that
my best friend suggested is keeping the makeover sequence, but allowing the
girl some vestige of her other look, and ending the movie with friendship and
possible relationships between her and both the athlete and brain characters.
But that's not what the kids want to see...

FLAME ON*****
Here in this pseudo-intellectual environment of Reed College, most people
would consider themselves far too enlightened to even think about seeing
such an obviously commercial movie. C'mon, where's the *REAL* "Joe (or
Joesephine) Reed"?? Not too far away from high school, for the most part.
And whoever verified that Reed wasn't cliquish???
FLAME OFF*****

(my apologies to the non-Reedies out there!)

I repeat, The Breakfast Club, despite its flaws, is worth seeing.

Ann Muir Thomas

"Will you stand above me, call my name, or walk on by me"--Simple Minds
"I'll be mellow when I'm dead!"--weird Al Y., via Tony F.

jla@usl.UUCP (Raoul Duke) (03/26/85)

I  much  preferred  the recluse before her metamorphasis; not only did I
find her more attractive, but I though it awful that she would  give  up
her individuality to someone else's idea of beauty.

nmhr@nmtvax.UUCP (04/16/85)

*** REPLACE THIS LINE WITH A BANANA ***

	So there has been some argument about "The Breakfast Club" on the
net, I hear. I went to see the movie and I loved it. It meant more to
me than "The Big Chill," which is a movie in the same vein. I am only
twenty, close to high school if you like. The movie was a good movie.
It made a statement and was very well-acted.

	A lot of netters are saying, "The characters were such stereotypes!"
They were supposed to be stereotypes. There is an old Hindu saying: "we
are all stereotypes until we rise above ourselves." That phrase sums up
the whole point of "The Breakfast Club."

	And to Raoul Duke (jla@usl), who said:

> I much preferred the recluse before her metamorphosis; not only did I
> fine her more attractive but I thought it awful that she would give up
> her individuality to someone else's idea of beauty.

	Well, Raoul...souns to me like you are trying to tell us what her
idea of beauty was. Did it ever cross your mind that Allison could have
had the same idea of beauty as Claire? Hmm? Does a girl have to give
up her individuality to wear makeup and change her hair-style?
Because if that is true, then a man loses his individuality every time
he puts on a new shirt of combs his hair differently. It's all surface
stuff, Duke. What counts IS what's inside.

	Any flames? Send me mail. I love mail. It gets me through the nights
here.

Tracy A. McInvale
New Mexico Humanities Review
Socorro, NM  87801
nmhr@nmt

jla@usl.UUCP (Joe Arceneaux) (04/24/85)

In article <417@nmtvax.UUCP> nmhr@nmtvax.UUCP writes:

>	And to Raoul Duke (jla@usl), who said:
>
>> I much preferred the recluse before her metamorphosis; not only did I
>> fine her more attractive but I thought it awful that she would give up
>> her individuality to someone else's idea of beauty.
>
>	Well, Raoul...souns to me like you are trying to tell us what her
>idea of beauty was. Did it ever cross your mind that Allison could have
>had the same idea of beauty as Claire? Hmm? Does a girl have to give
>up her individuality to wear makeup and change her hair-style?
>Because if that is true, then a man loses his individuality every time
>he puts on a new shirt of combs his hair differently. It's all surface
>stuff, Duke. What counts IS what's inside.

Certainly what counts is what's inside.  Possibly Allison always wanted to
to exemplify Claire's standards of beauty, but if her external presentation
had any relation to "what's inside," then Allison was more herself before her
makeover, as her insides were quite different from Claire's.

To me, Allison's 'makeover' was a rather negative message, as it seemed to
signify Allison capitulating to prevalent attitude of her society, and giving
up a bit of her freedom to be different.

--
				    Joe Arceneaux

				    Lafayette, LA
				    {akgua, ut-sally}!usl!jla

"The one who grabs the bull by the tail is getting 60 to 70 times as
 much as information as the fellow who just watches"  --Mark Twain

miller@mred.DEC (05/06/85)

Does anyone know why Claire (the Princess) was sent there?

nmhr@nmtvax.UUCP (05/08/85)

In article <> jla@usl.UUCP (Joe Arceneaux) writes:
>In article <417@nmtvax.UUCP> nmhr@nmtvax.UUCP writes:
>
>>	And to Raoul Duke (jla@usl), who said:
>>
>>> I much preferred the recluse before her metamorphosis; not only did I
>>> fine her more attractive but I thought it awful that she would give up
>>> her individuality to someone else's idea of beauty.
>>
>>	Well, Raoul...souns to me like you are trying to tell us what her
>>idea of beauty was. Did it ever cross your mind that Allison could have
>>had the same idea of beauty as Claire? Hmm? Does a girl have to give
>>up her individuality to wear makeup and change her hair-style?
>>Because if that is true, then a man loses his individuality every time
>>he puts on a new shirt of combs his hair differently. It's all surface
>>stuff, Duke. What counts IS what's inside.
>
>Certainly what counts is what's inside.  Possibly Allison always wanted to
>to exemplify Claire's standards of beauty, but if her external presentation
>had any relation to "what's inside," then Allison was more herself before her
>makeover, as her insides were quite different from Claire's.
>
>To me, Allison's 'makeover' was a rather negative message, as it seemed to
>signify Allison capitulating to prevalent attitude of her society, and giving
>up a bit of her freedom to be different.

But what if Allison's external presentation was a result of parents who
didn't buy her the clothes she desired? Or maybe her parents were among
that mislead group who despise preppies?

Either way you look at it, an independent-minded person like Allison
(exmplified by her initial semi-attraction to the tough guy [his
name slips me mind] and her lie to Claire about sex) would not
give in to the desires/ideas of someone else. Not without a fight,
anyway.

--
Tracy A. McInvale
New Mexico Humanities Review
Socorro, NM  87801

...!cmc12!lanl!unm-cvax!nmtvax!nmhr
...!ucbvax!unmvax!nmtvax!nmhr

ccs020@ucdavis.UUCP (Kevin Chu) (05/08/85)

> Does anyone know why Claire (the Princess) was sent there?

She cut classes one day to go shopping.  Seems kind of rough to
get Saturday for something so mundane.

allynh@ucbvax.ARPA (Allyn Hardyck) (05/08/85)

In an interview Ally Sheedy said that Allison was supposed to come off looking
better because she was wearing LESS makeup than before, thus getting closer to
her true appearance.

I too thought she looked better beforehand.

hartley@osu-eddie.UUCP (James E. Hartley) (05/08/85)

> Does anyone know why Claire (the Princess) was sent there?

*** REPLACE THIS LINE WITH Something Useful ***

    As I recall, Claire, being the beauty that she was decided that it
would be more worth her while going shopping instead of going to school.
This is somewhat hinted at in the opening scenes when she is conversing
with her father (just before the detention begins).

    The jock was there for pounding on some poor defenseless kid in the
locker room, the brain tried to kill himself and all he did was toast his
hallway locker.  Was the criminal there because he was a criminal or did
they cite an incidence that was specifically related?
    Also, why was the psycho there?  She was the one individual that I feel
would not have normally gained anything from the detention session so why
was she there?

                                                   James E. Hartley

                               "Get up, stand up, don't give up your rights."

peggy@ISM780.UUCP (05/08/85)

She ditched school to go shopping.

gupta@asgb.UUCP (Yogesh K Gupta) (05/09/85)

> Does anyone know why Claire (the Princess) was sent there?

    Because she skipped class and went shopping instead.  Her father
    says something to the effect "Skipping class and going shopping
    is normal ...", when he drops her off at the school.  I think
    I am right, because I have already made my mistake of the decade :-)

--
Yogesh Gupta                           Advanced Systems Group,
{sdcrdcf, sdcsvax}!bmcg!asgb!gupta     Burroughs Corp., Boulder, CO.

adm@cbneb.UUCP (05/09/85)

>  /***** cbnap:net.movies / decwrl!miller / 10:01 pm  May  7, 1985 */
>  Does anyone know why Claire (the Princess) was sent there?
>  /* ---------- */

She skipped school to go shopping. (mentioned by her dad as
she was dropped off)

wong@rtech.ARPA (J. Wong) (05/09/85)

> Does anyone know why Claire (the Princess) was sent there?

She skipped school to go shopping.  (Statement made by her father at beginning
of the movie.)
--
				J. Wong		ucbvax!mtxinu!rtech!wong

You start a conversation, you can't even finish it.
You're talking alot, but you're not saying anything.
When I have nothing to say, my lips are sealed.
Say something once, why say it again.		- David Byrne

sea@browngr.UUCP (Scott E. Anderson) (05/09/85)

According to a friend:

	Claire had cut school to go shopping...

--

Scott E. Anderson
P.O Box 92

{decvax,allegra}brunix!browngr!sea

emacs@vger.UUCP (05/09/85)

In article <2036@decwrl.UUCP>, miller@mred.DEC writes:
> Does anyone know why Claire (the Princess) was sent there?

Claire (the Princess) was sent there for cutting classes to go
shopping.

--
---------------------          ...Laying on the beach in the sun...
|		    |-------------------------------------------------------
| Michael E. Dove   | Usenet: ucbvax!hplabs!pesnta!parallel!vger!emacs     |
| CIS Consultant    |         ucbvax!decvax!decwrl!sun!parallel!vger!emacs |
| UC Santa Cruz, CA | CSNet:  emacs@ucsc.csnet                             |
|                   | Arpa:   emacs%ucsc.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa            |

markg@nvuxf.UUCP (M. Guzdial) (05/09/85)

The "Psycho" was there because she "had nothing better to do."

	Mark Guzdial
	{houxm, ihnp4}!nvuxf!markg

lspirkov@udenva.UUCP (Goldilocks) (05/10/85)

In article <> miller@mred.DEC writes:
>Does anyone know why Claire (the Princess) was sent there?

She ditched school to go to the mall.
--

					Goldi

email:  udenva!lspirkov

ronin@reed.UUCP (Miguel Angel Colon) (05/10/85)

>    Also, why was the psycho there?  She was the one individual that I feel
>would not have normally gained anything from the detention session so why
>was she there?
>
>                                                   James E. Hartley

Near the end of the movie, When they are all confessing (the jock
included) she (the so-called psycho) admits that she had noting better
to do. *And will see you ... At The Movies...

					Miguel A. Colon Jr.

"...will you call my name, or will you walk on by..."

	  ronin @ reed
	...ihnp4!{harvard|tektronix}!reed
	...decvax!tektronix!reed
	...teneron!reed

lsmith@h-sc1.UUCP (liz smith) (05/13/85)

>     Also, why was the psycho there?  She was the one individual that I feel
> would not have normally gained anything from the detention session so why
> was she there?

Actually, she said she was there because she didn't have anything better to
do with her Saturday morning.

Liz Smith & Tina Rouse