[net.movies] Purple Rose of Cairo

uggworek@sunybcs.UUCP (Donald Gworek) (04/01/85)

SEE "The Purple Rose Of Cairo" !!!!   EXCELLENT film!

I had no idea what this picture was about, and went to the show on
blind faith that Woody Allen would not let me down.  He did not!!!

"Purple Rose" is one of the most entertaining films in a long time.
It's great to have Woody Allen back in his 'keep them laughing' prime
form!

At first, I didn't like the ending.  And then I realized it IS correct.
It's the way things are -- real and cruel -- and not like the movies.

I give "Purple Rose" Five Stars, or "I MUST see this again and again"

-- Don Gworek

lwe3207@acf4.UUCP (Lars Warren Ericson) (04/02/85)

[]

This movie stinks.  Mia Farrow does a Woody Allen imitation for 2 hours.
She is supposed to have a non-fictional husband who beats her up.  During
the time frame of the movie, he never does, and he always backs down in
arguments.  She is never bruised.  I know this movie is supposed to be a
comedy, about fantasy/reality etc., but I resent the idea of using a totally
unreal caricature of a real-life social problem as a minor factor in the
"reality" subplot.  Because Woody Allen has a big name, and because the
other half of the movie is about fantasy, people might conclude that this is
what the psychological and physical scenario of wife-beating is really
like -- just as they might conclude from watching other movies that
computers look like Christmas trees and that people don't get hurt in
gunfights.  The single detail in the movie which rang true in any sense was
encapsulated in the two seconds of the actor flying home after standing up
the woman.  By coincidence, it may be the case that actors are the only
people Woody Allen has had recent real-life experience with.

-- Lars Ericson
-- ...!cmcl2!acf4!lwe3207

lwe3207@acf4.UUCP (Lars Warren Ericson) (04/04/85)

[]

seismo!elsie!ado writes:

.	Subject: Re: Purple Rose of Cairo
.
.	Would you have preferred to see the wife-beating depicted?
.
.				--ado

Ado misses the point.  The point is that a thoughtless trivialization of a
real social problem should not be a minor element of a comedy, if the comedy
is not about that minor element (then it is not comedy, but nihilistic
satire).  If "PROC" is not a comedy, then the portrayal of the social
problem should not be a distorted and pale shadow of the reality.  "Ado"
seems to assume that I get off on seeing sexual violence as a form of
entertainment.  I am saying that if violence of any form must exist in a
movie, it should be to inform, not to entertain.  I walk out of movies which
use violence purely for the purpose of entertainment.  (A rape-strangulation
scene in one of Hitchcock's later movies is a good example.  "Marathon Man"
is another.)  Woody Allen's incorrect portrayal of a form of violence
disinforms people as to the nature of that form of violence, and does so
purely in support of entertainment.

mgh@hou5h.UUCP (Marcus Hand) (04/07/85)

>	From: lwe3207@acf4.UUCP (Lars Warren Ericson)
>   Ado misses the point.  The point is that a thoughtless trivialization of a
>   real social problem should not be a minor element of a comedy, if the comedy
>   is not about that minor element (then it is not comedy, but nihilistic
>   satire).  If "PROC" is not a comedy, then the portrayal of the social
>   . . . . .
>   is another.)  Woody Allen's incorrect portrayal of a form of violence
>   disinforms people as to the nature of that form of violence, and does so
>   purely in support of entertainment.

Goodness,  we are getting judgemental.  You sound like a politbureau when
you say something is an incorrect portrayal...

		marcus		834-2408

PS.  and anyway, why is satire nihilistic?
--
			Marcus Hand	(hou5h!mgh)

lwe3207@acf4.UUCP (Lars Warren Ericson) (04/11/85)

[]

>  Goodness,  we are getting judgemental.  You sound like a politbureau when
>  you say something is an incorrect portrayal...

I am not trying to legislate art.  I am being judgemental.  Maybe you can
suggest a nonjudgemental form of critical and emotional reaction?

All I am saying is that PROC is A) trash and B) antisocial.  In a very
provincial fashion it borrows a culture it doesn't understand to make a
relatively uninteresting point, and in the process misrepresents
a real social problem.  I have nothing against Woody Allen's artistic
freedom.  But I also have the freedom to comment on the meaningfulness of
his entertainment.

"Incorrect" means just that: go to a women's shelter.  Look for Mia Farrow.
If you can't find her, try talking to some ordinary mortals and see what
the real psychology of wife-beating is.  Or do you prefer your computers
with large blinking lights and rows of spinning tape drives?  Or is there
no truth?

> PS.  and anyway, why is satire nihilistic? -  Marcus Hand	(hou5h!mgh)

I worried about this phrase before I used it.  "Satire", according to
the American Heritage dictionary is "the use of derisive wit to attack
folly or wickedness".  This presumes that all satirists have positive
social intentions.

The dictionary defines nihilism, in part, as "the rejection of all
distinctions in moral value".

Now suppose the nihilist imagined the consciousness of valuelessness to be
the supremely moral outlook.  The nihilist would then, to promote the point
of view that valuelessness is the only true value, pick truly horrible
things, and make fun of them.  For example, a comedy involving incest,
apartheid, incurable disease, mental retardation, or rape.  To the nihilist,
values are folly, values are wicked.  Therefore, to satirize the cherishing
of values, one satirizes events which should be cause for concern.  This is
"nihilistic satire".

Lars Ericson
Arpa: ericson@nyu
Usenet: {floyd,ihnp4}!cmcl2!csd1!ericson

miller@mred.DEC (05/14/85)

I was very disappointed with the ending.  Although I am not a big
Mia Farrow fan (she looks 43 going on 16!), I found Cecilia to be
a charming heroine. However, I would have been happier if it had
ended like "The Ghost and Mrs. Muir" (Rex Harrison and ??? suddenly
can't remember her name!), I became very angry with Woody Allen
for ending it that way.

Cyndi