[comp.lang.fortran] PD Ratfor translator wanted ...

wjb@cogsci.cog.jhu.edu (William J. Bogstad) (12/09/90)

	I'm looking for a RATFOR to Fortran converter.  I know that there
used to be a lot of people working on the "Software Tools" project and using
RATFOR, but I can't find a RATFOR converter anywhere.  Please respond by
electronic mail.

				Thanks,
				Bill Bogstad

dmocsny@minerva.che.uc.edu (Daniel Mocsny) (12/10/90)

In article <09.Dec.90.024746.15@cogsci.cog.jhu.edu> wjb@cogsci.cog.jhu.edu (William J. Bogstad) writes:

>	I'm looking for a RATFOR to Fortran converter.

The way to find anything and everything is to telnet to
quiche.cs.mcgill.ca and login as "archie" (no quotes, no password).
When you get the "archie" prompt, type:

prog ratfor

Archie knows where everything lives on the Internet. Archie will tell
you where all the ratfor-related files are. If you are running UNIX,
you can log your session with:

telnet quiche.cs.mcgill.ca | tee ratfor.locate

I think. Anyway, if that doesn't work, ReadTheFineManualPage for tee.

For faster response and greater courtesy to the fine folks who have
made archie available to us, use the service during off-prime hours.

--
Dan Mocsny				Snail:
Internet: dmocsny@minerva.che.uc.edu	Dept. of Chemical Engng. M.L. 171

mitchell (Bill Mitchell) (12/11/90)

E-mail bounced, so I'm posting this.

In article <09.Dec.90.024746.15@cogsci.cog.jhu.edu> wjb@cogsci.cog.jhu.edu (William J. Bogstad) writes:

>	I'm looking for a RATFOR to Fortran converter.  I know that there
>used to be a lot of people working on the "Software Tools" project and using
>RATFOR, but I can't find a RATFOR converter anywhere.  Please respond by
>electronic mail.
>
>				Thanks,
>				Bill Bogstad

My 1976 edition of Software Tools contains the following statement on
its Contents page:

"All of the programs described in this book are available in machine-
readable form from Addison-Wesley."

I followed up on this in '76 or '77, and got a 9-track tape from them.
I had some character translation problems getting it dumped into my
account on a Xerox Sigma-IX, but nothing serious.  Ratfor came up
with little difficulty, and generated Fortran source acceptable to
the Fortran-IV compiler I was using.

No, I don't still have the tape.  Addison-Wesely might still have it.

--
mitchell@mdi.com (Bill Mitchell)