[comp.lang.fortran] Help! f2c runtime error.

ndeng@EULER.BERKELEY.EDU (12/11/90)

Hi there.

I just downloaded the f2c program from research.att.com and compiled it
on a VAX 8650. The compilation went smoothly and I got the excutable file.
However, when I tried to invoke it, it gave the following error message:

Compiler error: cannot open intermediate file /tmp/f2cxxxxx_p1f

What's wrong with it? The directory /tmp is write accessable and the machine
certainly has enough free disk space. Is this a program bug or I missed
something?

Any pointer would be appreciated.

Mike
ndeng@euler.berkeley.edu

jwe@che.utexas.edu (John W. Eaton) (12/11/90)

In article <9012101934.AA11906@euler.Berkeley.EDU>
ndeng@EULER.BERKELEY.EDU writes:

> I just downloaded the f2c program from research.att.com and compiled it
> on a VAX 8650. The compilation went smoothly and I got the excutable file.
> However, when I tried to invoke it, it gave the following error message:
>
> Compiler error: cannot open intermediate file /tmp/f2cxxxxx_p1f
>
> What's wrong with it?

From the README file in the f2c distribution:

  For some non-ANSI versions of stdio, you must change the values given
  to binread and binwrite in sysdep.c from "rb" and "wb" to "r" and "w".

I would guess that your stdio library doesn't understand the binary
flag.  If so, changing this should fix your problem.

--
John Eaton
jwe@che.utexas.edu