[comp.lang.fortran] What is the best FORTRAN for Macintosh at the moment?

jhaataja@finsun.csc.fi (Juha Haataja) (12/14/90)

What is the best FORTRAN for Macintosh to be used in a mixed
environment? We have VAX, Sun, Silicon Graphics and Cray X-MP systems.
The main use would be program development and testing, maybe also
some visualization projects (development would probably
start with some existing code from "bigger" machines).

We know of Absoft FORTRAN (Dongarra's Linpack-testing etc.) and
Language Systems FORTRAN. On the other hand, would buying A/UX
be the best solution? The main thing is easy portability to/from
other platforms.

Please reply, I'll summarize to the net if wanted.

Thanks in advance.

  Juha Haataja, Centre for Scientific Computing, Finland

ndoduc@framentec.fr (Nhuan Doduc) (12/14/90)

In <1990Dec13.162155.24820@nic.funet.fi> jhaataja@finsun.csc.fi (Juha Haataja) writes:

>We know of Absoft FORTRAN (Dongarra's Linpack-testing etc.) and
>Language Systems FORTRAN. On the other hand, would buying A/UX
>be the best solution? The main thing is easy portability to/from
>other platforms.

We do not have much experience with MacOS, except running benchmarks
but we do recommend NKR 2.1 as the "moins mauvais" since we succeded to port
a very big structural analysis code on A/UX (one of the 1st requirement is
that the source HAS TO STAY COMPATIBLE WITH mainframe versions (Vms, COS,
Sun/OS, Domain, MVS...)
We do hear that in the next A/UX release, Apple will provide us with a real
good fortran cooked (eg. adapted ?) by themselves (I'm not thinking at
Greenhills or Unisoft products).

--nh
Nhuan DODUC,
Framentec-Cognitech, Paris, France, ndoduc@framentec.fr or ndoduc@cognitech.fr,