[comp.lang.fortran] looking for help with PC to VAX fortran

oran@vlss.amdahl.com (Oran Davis) (12/15/90)

Hi;

This question is coming from the UNIX world so excuse the ignorance.

I'm looking for a PC-based fortran platform to carry out development
for a VAX-VMS 5.0 based computer.

One important consideration is the possible availability of VAX/VMS
compatible screen handling routines/libraries/system calls.

Any fragments of information or leads will be greatly appreciated.

Please reply back to this account

--
      +-----------------------+
      | Oran Davis            |

dmocsny@minerva.che.uc.edu (Daniel Mocsny) (12/18/90)

In article <ORAN.90Dec14202649@daniela.vlss.amdahl.com> oran@vlss.amdahl.com (Oran Davis) writes:
>This question is coming from the UNIX world so excuse the ignorance.

No problem. We are all ignorant about the things for which we haven't
yet Read The Fine Manuals...

>I'm looking for a PC-based fortran platform to carry out development
>for a VAX-VMS 5.0 based computer.
>
>One important consideration is the possible availability of VAX/VMS
>compatible screen handling routines/libraries/system calls.

A place to check when one needs package X to do Y is a
catalog of software catering to programmers. One such is _Programmer's
Connection_, and they are happy to send you a free copy if you
call 1-800-336-1166.

Perusing the entries for FORTRAN Language on p. 29 of the summer
1990 buyer's guide, we see several promising candidates. For example,
beginning on p. 95, Lahey Computer Systems has several compilers
covering a broad range of price and (presumably) features. The
top-of-line compiler, F77-EM/32, at $895 list, boasts among
other things "full 77 Standard; VAX and IBM VS mainframe extensions;
fast compilation; excellent diagnostics; and a powerful debugger."
This compiler threatens to give you up to 4 GB of physical memory
addressing on an 80386. Unfortunately, you will probably have to
wait 5 years for an 80386 PC with that much RAM.

If you are writing large programs, Lahey has a $1290 list package
that adds virtual memory support to MeSsy-DOS.

--
Dan Mocsny				Snail:
Internet: dmocsny@minerva.che.uc.edu	Dept. of Chemical Engng. M.L. 171