[comp.lang.fortran] Help with RM Fortran compiler switches

cie186t@vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au (01/24/91)

Anyone out there familiar with Ryan-McFarland Fortran (v2.42)?

I've got some Fortran source together with a batch file for compiling it under
RM Fortran, but want to compile it using Lahey Fortran (RM Fortran doesn't
seem to be sold down here). The batch file consists simply of the following
command for each source file:

RMFORT filename /LEZ

Anyone know what the /LEZ switch does?

Thanks in advance,

               Sri          (Monash University, Melbourne, Australia)

rcg@lpi.liant.com (Rick Gorton) (01/29/91)

In article <1991Jan24.180852.86218@vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au> cie186t@vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au writes:
>Anyone out there familiar with Ryan-McFarland Fortran (v2.42)?
>
>I've got some Fortran source together with a batch file for compiling it under
>RM Fortran, but want to compile it using Lahey Fortran (RM Fortran doesn't
>seem to be sold down here). The batch file consists simply of the following
>command for each source file:
>
>RMFORT filename /LEZ
>
>Anyone know what the /LEZ switch does?
>
>Thanks in advance,
>
>               Sri          (Monash University, Melbourne, Australia)

Well, I can help you on a couple of counts.
You can get RM/FORTRAN by calling us/faxing us/writing us.
(There isn't a distributor in Australia)

The sales person to contact is:
	Kristen Telford
	Language Processors, Inc.	Phone:	(508) 626-0006
	959 Concord St.			FAX:	(508) 626-2221
	Framingham, MA. USA		TELEX:	951671
	01701-4613

As for what the switches do (quoted from DOS Users guide for
version 2.4): /LEZ --> means /L, /E, and /Z

	/L: Use the /L Option to generate a standard program listing.
	    (Details of the listing format are provided later in this
	    chapter.)  The /L option must be specified in order to
	    specify the /A, /C, /J, /M, /P, /S, /W, and /X Options.
	    The default is to not generate a program listing.

	/E: Use the /E Option to generate a listing of error and
	    warning lines only.  The default is to generate the full
	    listing if the /L option is specified; no listing if the
	    /L Option is not specified.

	/Z: Use the /Z Option to suppress all code optimization
	    including /ZL optimizations (see below).  This is helpful if,
	    for instance, you wish to inhibit code rearrangement during
	    compilation.  (Chapter Six, _Advanced_Information_ details
	    code optimization.)  The default is to perform code
	    optimization.

--
Richard Gorton               rcg@lpi.liant.com  (508) 626-0006
Language Processors, Inc.    Framingham, MA 01760

halpern@casbah.acns.nwu.edu (David Halpern) (01/30/91)

In article <1991Jan24.180852.86218@vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au> cie186t@vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au writes:
>Anyone out there familiar with Ryan-McFarland Fortran (v2.42)?
>
>I've got some Fortran source together with a batch file for compiling it under
>RM Fortran, but want to compile it using Lahey Fortran (RM Fortran doesn't
>seem to be sold down here). The batch file consists simply of the following
>command for each source file:
>
>RMFORT filename /LEZ
>
>Anyone know what the /LEZ switch does?
>
>Thanks in advance,
>
>               Sri          (Monash University, Melbourne, Australia)

I know that: (i) the /L option produces a program listing;
             (ii)the /Z suppresses optimization.  The default is for code
optimization.

I'm not sure about the /E option.  I don't think there is one.

I hope this helpful,

David Halpern

davison@menudo.uh.edu (Dan Davison) (01/30/91)

   >RMFORT filename /LEZ
   >Anyone know what the /LEZ switch does?

   I know that: (i) the /L option produces a program listing;
                (ii)the /Z suppresses optimization.  The default is for code
                    optimization.

   I'm not sure about the /E option.  I don't think there is one.

/E is "Generate a listing of error and warning messages"
/L is "Generate a standard program listing
/Z is "Suppress code optimization"
  there's also a /Z1 "Suppress code optimizations which depend on
  whether a variable is listed in a SAVE statement"

dan
Houston/4800 Calhoun/Houston,TX 77054-5500/davison@uh.edu/DAVISON@UHOU
myself.