[comp.lang.fortran] Lahey Fortran

link@stew.ssl.berkeley.edu (Richard Link) (02/01/91)

We're thinking of getting the full-blown Lahey compiler
for our 386 machines. Any advice or experience, pro or con,
would be appreciated.

Also, how VMS compatible is it? Any known incompatibilities?

Thanks in advance,
Rick

ndeng@euler.Berkeley.EDU (02/01/91)

In article <1991Jan31.235004.24426@agate.berkeley.edu> link@stew.ssl.berkeley.edu (Richard Link) writes:
>We're thinking of getting the full-blown Lahey compiler
>for our 386 machines. Any advice or experience, pro or con,
>would be appreciated.
>
>Also, how VMS compatible is it? Any known incompatibilities?

I would also be interested in the graphics capabilities of the latest Lahey
compiler. Anybody has down some serious graphics work by that compiler?

>Thanks in advance,
>Rick

Mike

alan@dmsmelb.mel.dms.CSIRO.AU (Alan Miller) (02/02/91)

In article <1991Jan31.235004.24426@agate.berkeley.edu> link@stew.ssl.berkeley.edu (Richard Link) writes:
>We're thinking of getting the full-blown Lahey compiler
>for our 386 machines. Any advice or experience, pro or con,
>would be appreciated.
>
>Also, how VMS compatible is it? Any known incompatibilities?
>
>Thanks in advance,
>Rick

An alternative to Lahey's for the 386 or 486 is the University of Salford
compiler.   The Australian distributor for Lahey's now sells both compilers.
He lists the following advantages of each.
Salford.
   Faster compilation
   Profiler
   Better subroutine interface checking (includes type as well as no. of args.)
   Screen oriented debugger
   Optional run time linking gives very small EXE's, e.g. 2Mb. for Lahey's
	versus 2k for Salford
   Fortran 66 DO-loop option
   Built in assembler
   Substantial number of extensions - of the kind provided in the Spindrift
	library for Lahey's

F77LEM/32
   No cost support (phone & BBS) v. 100 pounds per year for Salford
   Far more 3rd party support packages
   No charge for distribution of executables (royalties with Salford if the
	 run time library is distributed)
   C interfaces
   A make utility
   VAX and IBM intrinsic functions
   A good editor
   CASE, CYCLE, EXIT & NAMELIST

In Australia, the prices are about the same.   Lahey's may be cheaper in the
US.   Also phone access to Lahey is convenient for you.   There is a US agent
for the Salford compiler (OTG?).