[comp.lang.fortran] Fortran compiler

BVAUGHAN@pucc.Princeton.EDU (Barbara Vaughan) (09/28/90)

I'm planning to get a new Fortran compiler for my new 80386 computer (Dell
System 310, with math coprocessor.  At present, I have two Fortran compilers:
Lahey F77L, version 2.11, with which I have been very satisfied; and Microsoft
Fortran version 3.2, with which I have been moderately satisfied.  I need a
compiler that will compile code for machines without a math coprocessor, which
is why I use the Microsoft compiler from time to time.  However, I could
continue to use my old compiler for that purpose.  I am looking for reviews and
personal recommendations for the latest versions of both the Lahey and Micro-
soft Fortrans.  I'm especially interested in the ability to use expanded mem-
ory and any other improvements that will take advavtage of my 386.  If there
is another compiler I haven't mentioned that is clearly head and shoulders
above the two I have mentioned, I would like to hear about those, too.  Thanks
very much

Barbara Vaughan
BVAUGHAN@PUCC.Princeton.edu

ndoduc@framentec.fr (Nhuan Doduc) (10/02/90)

In <11771@pucc.Princeton.EDU> BVAUGHAN@pucc.Princeton.EDU (Barbara Vaughan) writes:

>I'm planning to get a new Fortran compiler for my new 80386 computer (Dell
>System 310, with math coprocessor.  At present, I have two Fortran compilers:
>Lahey F77L, version 2.11, with which I have been very satisfied; and Microsoft
>Fortran version 3.2, with which I have been moderately satisfied.  I need a
>compiler that will compile code for machines without a math coprocessor, which
>is why I use the Microsoft compiler from time to time.  However, I could
>continue to use my old compiler for that purpose.  I am looking for reviews and
>personal recommendations for the latest versions of both the Lahey and Micro-
>soft Fortrans.  I'm especially interested in the ability to use expanded mem-
>ory and any other improvements that will take advavtage of my 386.  If there
>is another compiler I haven't mentioned that is clearly head and shoulders
>above the two I have mentioned, I would like to hear about those, too.  Thanks
>very much

>Barbara Vaughan
>BVAUGHAN@PUCC.Princeton.edu

Since version 3, Lahey allows floating emulation while MicroSoft has always
done this (altmath lib or /FPa in version 4 and now 5) so I still recommend
Lahey which, from my personal view point, is superior to Microsoft.

If you want to taste 386 new potentialities, the MicroWay's is a must; Lahey
is also not bad. Polyhedron's FTN 386/486 even can take advantage of the 486.

To my knowledge, FTN/486 is the only one that uses the extended mode (with
a Dos extender) and that is sensitive to the existence of the coprocessor at
run time

Have fun !

--nh
Nhuan DODUC,
Framentec-Cognitech, Paris, France, ndoduc@framentec.fr or ndoduc@cognitech.fr,
Association Francaise des Utilisateurs d'Unix, France, doduc@afuu.fr

kkim@plains.NoDak.edu (kyongsok kim) (02/12/91)

	I am looking for fortran compilers running on 386/486 which can
compile fortran source programs containing big arrays (say, 2 MB).  As I
understand it, MS-DOS on ordinary PC's supports up to 640 KB.  Suppose
that a 386/486 machine has 4 MB and I want to define big arrays so that
the program size is, say, 2 MB.  As I understand it, to do this, we need
to have a fortran compiler enabling us to access extended memory in a
protected mode.

	The rumor is that it costs around $1,000 and, before buying it, I
would like to hear good or bad stories of those compilers from the
first-hand users.  Any help will be appreciated.  Since I do not read this
newsgroup regularly, please reply to me directly. Thanks in advance.

Kyongsok Kim
Dept. of Comp. Sci., North Dakota State University

e-mail: kkim@plains.nodak.edu; kkim@plains.bitnet; ...!uunet!plains!kkim