[comp.lang.fortran] What to call next version

jlg@lanl.gov (Jim Giles) (02/12/91)

From article <7797@exodus.Eng.Sun.COM>, by wsb@boise.Eng.Sun.COM (Walt Brainerd):
> [...]
> [What are you going to call the next version--"Fortran Extended Extended"?]

Well, I don't know if there's much hope, but I'd like "Fortran yy"
(with 'yy' designating year numbers) to always refer to the Fortran
programming language and not to this thing X3J3 has recently put
together.  So, maybe we could get a Fortran 95 (based on Fortran 77
with the standardization of common vendor extensions - in other words,
standardize common practice).

I know.  Walt will jump all over this suggestion.  This is the only
article I will submit on this subject as I don't want to get into
the same argument yet again.

J. Giles

wsb@boise.Eng.Sun.COM (Walt Brainerd) (02/12/91)

In article <14244@lanl.gov>, jlg@lanl.gov (Jim Giles) writes:

> Well, I don't know if there's much hope, but I'd like "Fortran yy"
> (with 'yy' designating year numbers) to always refer to the Fortran
> programming language and not to this thing X3J3 has recently put
> together.  So, maybe we could get a Fortran 95 (based on Fortran 77
> with the standardization of common vendor extensions - in other words,
> standardize common practice).

"This thing X3J3 put together" is also what almost the entire world
(including the USA) has voted to be "the Fortran programming language".
Thus it is logically impossible to achieve what Jim likes.
Fortunately or unfortunately, calling it something else will
not make it go away.  And incidentally, one of the important
features of the ANSI/X3 plan when proposing the name "Fortran
Extended" and keeping Fortran 77 as a standard is that, under
no circumstances, is anyone to propose extending Fortran 77
(we'll see if they can stick to it).

And I also thought data structures, recursion, array processing,
DO ENDDO, namelist, include, and the bit intrinsic functions
(to name a few important new features in Fortran 90) were
common vendor extensions.  Of course, there are some, like
modules, that are not.  If we stuck to this philosophy, there
would be no character data type or IF-THEN-ELSE in Fortran 77
because these were not common vendor extensions in the early '70s.
Would Fortran 77 be a better language without these two features?

> I know.  Walt will jump all over this suggestion.  This is the only
> article I will submit on this subject as I don't want to get into
> the same argument yet again.
>
> J. Giles

Before I jump too hard, I would like to understand.
I am not sure what the "same argument" refers to, but sometime
soon, people will be proposing the beginning of development
of Fortran 2000 (or whatever), so this is the time to start
discussing the fundamental philosophical and technical questions,
not in 2001 when it's all over again.  So I think there should be
lots of "arguments" about this from anybody that is interested.
--
Walt Brainerd        Sun Microsystems, Inc.
wsb@eng.sun.com      MS MTV 5-40

hirchert@ncsa.uiuc.edu (Kurt Hirchert) (02/12/91)

In article <14244@lanl.gov> jlg@lanl.gov (Jim Giles) writes:
>Well, I don't know if there's much hope, but I'd like "Fortran yy"
>(with 'yy' designating year numbers) to always refer to the Fortran
>programming language and not to this thing X3J3 has recently put
>together.  So, maybe we could get a Fortran 95 (based on Fortran 77
>with the standardization of common vendor extensions - in other words,
>standardize common practice).

But that would be contrary to common practice! :-)   Seriously, this is a
matter of persepective.  When FORTRAN 77 was adopted, many of the features
it introduced were already common practice, but many others were not.
Fortran 90 similarly includes both new features that are already common
practice and those that are not.  Unquestionably, the balance between these
classes of features is different, and the sources of the features span a
much wider field, but a standard that did nothing but ratify common practice
would be a throwback to the original 1966 FORTRAN standard.

Your "Fortran 95" sounds like a subset of Fortran 90; the _common_ vendor
extensions I am aware of are advance implementations of Fortran 90 features
or outgrowths of FORTRAN 77 or Mil. Std. 1753 that have been incorporated
into Fortran 90.  "Fortran 95" wouldn't do much to improve my programming
environment (because those features are already common).  Fortran 90 has
the potential to make significant improvements if it is decently implemented.
--
Kurt W. Hirchert     hirchert@ncsa.uiuc.edu

khb@chiba.Eng.Sun.COM (Keith Bierman fpgroup) (02/12/91)

...description of what future standards work should be, was, etc....

I think we should aim for two goals:

	1) five years out, we should have a compendum of technical
	   fixes, adjudications, etc. to cement "f90"

	2) ten years out, we should have the next incremental changes.

we should try to hold the dates, and slip the functionality this time;
delaying the document doesn't seem to improve its quality, nor to
settle the differences between the various parties.

Keith H. Bierman    kbierman@Eng.Sun.COM | khb@chiba.Eng.Sun.COM
SMI 2550 Garcia 12-33			 | (415 336 2648)
    Mountain View, CA 94043

lamson@el1.crd.ge.com (scott h lamson) (02/12/91)

In article <7822@exodus.Eng.Sun.COM> wsb@boise.Eng.Sun.COM (Walt Brainerd) writes:

>   From: wsb@boise.Eng.Sun.COM (Walt Brainerd)
>   ..., but sometime
>   soon, people will be proposing the beginning of development
>   of Fortran 2000 (or whatever), so this is the time to start
>   discussing the fundamental philosophical and technical questions,
>   not in 2001 when it's all over again.

In addition to starting speculations on Fortran 2000, I think it would
be very useful to have some mechanism being put into place to
standardize "modules" as they are developed, to avoid the F-77
situation where sparse matrix code is so difficult to share as most
developers reinvent a sparse matrix data structure just enough
incompatible with others that routines cannot be readily shared.

--
        Scott|  ARPA:      lamson@crd.ge.com
       Lamson|  UUCP:      uunet!crd.ge.com!lamson

khb@chiba.Eng.Sun.COM (Keith Bierman fpgroup) (02/12/91)

In article <LAMSON.91Feb11200000@el1.crd.ge.com> lamson@el1.crd.ge.com (scott h lamson) writes:

..
   In addition to starting speculations on Fortran 2000, I think it would
   be very useful to have some mechanism being put into place to
   standardize "modules" as they are developed, to avoid the F-77
..

Modules can (and I think should) be standardized by those closest to
the particular problems.

There is already a "string" module which is being proposed as a
standard, I think it is going BSI or ISO ... but I don't recall
offhand.

There is no reason why IEEE, ANSI, BSI and others can't all play in
this ballpark. Of course, as usual the proposals for work should be
circulated in the standards community to avoid duplication of effort.
But unlike the language standard itself, there is no reason to limit
the process to one organization.
Keith H. Bierman    kbierman@Eng.Sun.COM | khb@chiba.Eng.Sun.COM
SMI 2550 Garcia 12-33			 | (415 336 2648)
    Mountain View, CA 94043

john@ghostwheel.unm.edu (John Prentice) (02/12/91)

Before we get too busy inventing Fortran Extended Extended (over-extended?),
let me just point out that we don't even have compilers yet for the "old" new
standard (i.e., Fortran Extended) :-) !

John

--
John K. Prentice    john@unmfys.unm.edu (Internet)
Dept. of Physics and Astronomy, University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, NM, USA

gt4512c@prism.gatech.EDU (BRADBERRY,JOHN L) (02/12/91)

In article <1991Feb12.055337.25661@ariel.unm.edu> john@ghostwheel.unm.edu (John Prentice) writes:
>Before we get too busy inventing Fortran Extended Extended (over-extended?),
>let me just point out that we don't even have compilers yet for the "old" new
>standard (i.e., Fortran Extended) :-) !

It is one thing to design a language 'on paper' or 'in
committee'. It is quite another to adopt, support and USE it in
practice. Many people who post to this group seem aware of
extensions and extended-extensions to Fortran '90. However, I
can't help but wonder if the 'new' version will fall into to the
same abyss that the '77 version did. With each push for yet
another extension, an adopted, debugged and universally
IMPLEMENTED version seems further away...

Over the last decade, the gap between what version of Fortran was
being taught in universities and used in industry has increased.
A large reason for this was the constant state of 'flux' Fortran
seems to have been in since 77. Is this a cycle that must be
repeated?

--
John L. Bradberry        |Georgia Tech Research Inst|001100110011001100110011
Scientific Concepts Inc. |Microwaves and Antenna Lab|Int : gt4512c@prism

chidsey@smoke.brl.mil (Irving Chidsey) (02/12/91)

<
[...]

	How about biting off manageable chunks?  Taking smaller steps
every 5 years instead of a humongous leap every 10-12 years.

	That would be more attuned to the rate at which extensions are
adopted, and the different suppliers wouldn't diverge as much.

	The name should obviously be Fortran Extended ** 2.

								Irv

--
I do not have signature authority.  I am not authorized to sign anything.
I am not authorized to commit the BRL, the DOA, the DOD, or the US Government

wsb@boise.Eng.Sun.COM (Walt Brainerd) (02/13/91)

In article <LAMSON.91Feb11200000@el1.crd.ge.com>, lamson@el1.crd.ge.com (scott h lamson) writes:

> In addition to starting speculations on Fortran 2000, I think it would
> be very useful to have some mechanism being put into place to
> standardize "modules" as they are developed, to avoid the F-77
> situation where sparse matrix code is so difficult to share as most
> developers reinvent a sparse matrix data structure just enough
> incompatible with others that routines cannot be readily shared.

We are starting to get some great constructive ideas.
Those of us pushing for adoption of modules in Fortran 90
thought this is exactly the way they should be used.  We
thought perhaps some modules could be standardized at the
same time as Fortran 90, but we spent most of the last 5
years fighting off people who wanted to eliminate modules,
rather than spending the time developing a few standard modules.

Irving Chidsey said we should have smaller revisions in
less time.  One way to accomplish this is through standardized
modules.  Anyone can propose a standard module and it does
not have to accompany a revision of Fortran, as Keith Bierman
pointed out, so we could have a sparse matrix module just as
soon as folks can do the work!  As another example, I think most,
if not all, of the POSIX .9 Fortran binding could be done as a
Fortran 90 module.  Other things, like a "parallel Fortran"
probably can't be done this way, but such things might be
accomplished in less than 10-12 years if the appropriate
things are done with modules.