[comp.lang.fortran] has anybody used SPAG?

murison@cfa.HARVARD.EDU (Marc A. Murison, RG) (02/12/91)

Has anyone used SPAG, the spaghetti code unmangler? After looking
around a bit, I get the impression that this program is quite
flexible and can do just about anything one could want done to
ugly code. What I would really like to know is that if I run
my 100,000 line fortran 66 monster through it will the monster
still give the right answers? (I know it will be a lot more
readable!) Any comments on good or bad experiences, idiosyncrasies,
etc. will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,

Marc A. Murison   Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory
murison@cfacx2.harvard.edu

NOTE: use this ^^^^ address. The one in the header will bomb.

trh@ukc.ac.uk (T.R.Hopkins) (02/13/91)

In article <515@cfa.HARVARD.EDU> murison@cfa.HARVARD.EDU (Marc A. Murison, RG) writes:
>Has anyone used SPAG, the spaghetti code unmangler? After looking
>around a bit, I get the impression that this program is quite
>flexible and can do just about anything one could want done to
>ugly code. What I would really like to know is that if I run
>my 100,000 line fortran 66 monster through it will the monster
>still give the right answers? (I know it will be a lot more
>readable!) Any comments on good or bad experiences, idiosyncrasies,
>etc. will be greatly appreciated!
>Thanks,
>
>Marc A. Murison   Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory
>murison@cfacx2.harvard.edu
>
>NOTE: use this ^^^^ address. The one in the header will bomb.

I've used spag on vast amounts of code and  have thoroughly checked
that the new version produces the same results as the old; I haven't had a
failure yet. The only thing I don't like is the formatter that's embedded
in spag -- I much prefer the Toolpack polish (in fact I usually put the
output of spag through a series of Toolpack tools to tidy up the source).

Tim