[comp.lang.fortran] please tell me how to print to the same location on screen no CR/LF

v087mxgb@ubvmsa.cc.buffalo.edu (Shawn E Thompson) (02/15/91)

Hello all,

I have a question......

I am printing a series of messages that say:

Processing number 1
Processing number 2
processing number 3

etc......

Now, when I am processing many hundreds of numbers, this looks
kinda kludgy. Is there a way, using standard F77 (*NO* extensions)
to have it merely overwrite the number at the same location???

thanks in advacne

Shawn Thompson

v087mxgb@ubvms.cc.buffalo.edu

kurtze@plains.NoDak.edu (Douglas Kurtze) (02/16/91)

In article <59986@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> v087mxgb@ubvmsa.cc.buffalo.edu writes:

>Is there a way, using standard F77 (*NO* extensions)
>to have it merely overwrite the number at the same location???

Put a "+" in column 1:  format ('+Processing ... ',i3)

Doug Kurtze                   kurtze@plains.NoDak.edu
Physics, North Dakota State

"Patience is its own reward" -- Flann O'Brien

jerry@heyman.austin.ibm.com (Jerry Heyman) (02/16/91)

In article <59986@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> v087mxgb@ubvmsa.cc.buffalo.edu writes:

|>Hello all,
|>I have a question......
|>I am printing a series of messages that say:
|>
|>Processing number 1
|>Processing number 2
|>processing number 3
|>etc......
|>
|>Now, when I am processing many hundreds of numbers, this looks
|>kinda kludgy. Is there a way, using standard F77 (*NO* extensions)
|>to have it merely overwrite the number at the same location???

As far as I know, there are NO screen directives defined in F77.  If you want
to draw on a screen (other than using it as the default printer), you would
probably have to make use of system calls that are linked into your F77 program
by the loader/linker.

The only other possible exception is if the carriage-control character of '+'
(a plus sign) is supported for the screen.  On a paper printer, the '+' says
don't do a newline, only a carriage-return.  Experimentation with the '+'
should be able to tell you if it will foot the bill.

|>Shawn Thompson
|>v087mxgb@ubvms.cc.buffalo.edu

jerry heyman
--
Jerry Heyman                     IBM T-R: jerry@heyman.austin.ibm.com
AWD Tools Development            VNET   : HEYMAN at AUSVMQ

buckland@cheddar.ucs.ubc.ca (Tony Buckland) (02/16/91)

In article <59986@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> v087mxgb@ubvmsa.cc.buffalo.edu writes:
>I am printing a series of messages that say:
>
>Processing number 1
>Processing number 2
>processing number 3
>etc......
>
>Now, when I am processing many hundreds of numbers, this looks
>kinda kludgy. Is there a way, using standard F77 (*NO* extensions)
>to have it merely overwrite the number at the same location???

 If you're really printing them, that would result in a big
 black blob :)

 Seriously, please post what platform you are doing this on.
 If it has a "put on the same line" carriage-control character,
 you can write this as the first character of the output record
 to force successive records to be put on the same line instead
 of the default of immediately succeeding lines.