[comp.lang.fortran] Read one keystroke with MS-fortran.

arve@immhp1.marina.unit.no (Arve Loktu) (02/01/91)

  Hello folks.

    Is there anybody out there who have a routine to read on byte
    from the keyboard without waiting for 'return',  called from
    MS-fortran ?

    Please send a copy to : arve@imm.unit.no

                             Arve Loktu
                             Marintek
                             Trondheim
                             Norway

jerry@heyman.austin.ibm.com (Jerry Heyman) (02/05/91)

In article <1991Feb1.121306.2212@ugle.unit.no> arve@immhp1.marina.unit.no (Arve Loktu) writes:

>  Hello folks.
>
>    Is there anybody out there who have a routine to read on byte
>    from the keyboard without waiting for 'return',  called from
>    MS-fortran ?
>
>    Please send a copy to : arve@imm.unit.no

The last time I used MS-Fortran was version 3.1 (back in 1984), and at that
time there wasn't the support that you're asking for.  The company I was
working for at the time had to purchase a FORTRAN library that could be
linked into the software that contained, among other things, the function that
you are requesting.

The name of the library and the company that produced it are no longer in my
memory, but as far as I know, you'll have to go outside of MS to get it.  By
the way, the FORTRAN function we used was called INKEY()!

Again, all my comments are based on MS-FORTRAN 3.1, and may not be relevant
to todays implementation.

jerry

--
Jerry Heyman                     IBM T-R: jerry@heyman.austin.ibm.com
AWD Tools Development            VNET   : HEYMAN at AUSVMQ

userAKDU@mts.ucs.UAlberta.CA (Al Dunbar) (02/13/91)

In article <5116@awdprime.UUCP>, jerry@heyman.austin.ibm.com (Jerry Heyman) writes:
>In article <1991Feb1.121306.2212@ugle.unit.no> arve@immhp1.marina.unit.no (Arve Loktu) writes:
>>

>>  Hello folks.
>>
>>    Is there anybody out there who have a routine to read on byte
>>    from the keyboard without waiting for 'return',  called from
>>    MS-fortran ?
>>
>>    Please send a copy to : arve@imm.unit.no

If your Fortran is current enough, purchase Microsoft C and write
your function in Fortran callable C.

 -------------------+-------------------------------------------
 Al Dunbar          |
 Edmonton, Alberta  |  Disclaimer: "I disclaim disclaimers"
 CANADA             |
 -------------------+-------------------------------------------

silvert@cs.dal.ca (Bill Silvert) (02/23/91)

In article <RN.140@mts.ucs.UAlberta.CA> userAKDU@mts.ucs.UAlberta.CA (Al Dunbar) writes:
>In article <5116@awdprime.UUCP>, jerry@heyman.austin.ibm.com (Jerry Heyman) writes:
>>>
>>>  Hello folks.
>>>
>>>    Is there anybody out there who have a routine to read on byte
>>>    from the keyboard without waiting for 'return',  called from
>>>    MS-fortran ?
>
>If your Fortran is current enough, purchase Microsoft C and write
>your function in Fortran callable C.

Wow, that has to be the most expensive functionality that has been
posted in a long time!  I sent the original poster a short assembler
program that links to both MS and Lahey Fortran to do this.

Aside from the cost of buying MS C, remember that you will end up
William Silvert, Habitat Ecology Division, Bedford Inst. of Oceanography
P. O. Box 1006, Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CANADA B2Y 4A2.  Tel. (902)426-1577
UUCP=..!{uunet|watmath}!dalcs!biomel!bill
BITNET=bill%biomel%dalcs@dalac	InterNet=bill%biomel@cs.dal.ca