[comp.lang.fortran] VMS vs. Unix Fortran

buck@siswat.UUCP (A. Lester Buck) (02/26/91)

A friend had been developing a major interactive geophysical processing
system using VMS Fortran for over a year.  Recently he has been forced
to switch from a comfortable development environment to working at home,
and he needs to buy a machine.  He does almost all the processing in
Fortran, but is learning C and X to build a user interface.  (He is
a very smart guy.)  His friends tell him that switching from VMS
Fortran to any Unix Fortran cuts productivity in half for Fortran
development, so he is leaning heavily toward purchasing a VAXstation
instead of a fast, cheap Unix box.  I don't have any experience with
Fortran under Unix, and the last time I did Fortran under VMS was
ages ago.

Is there really no acceptable Fortran development environment
under Unix?  Are the Unix Fortran debuggers that bad?  If anyone
has any first hand experience, I would really appreciate hearing
about your opinions.

Thanks alot,

A. Lester Buck    buck@siswat.lonestar.org  ...!uhnix1!lobster!siswat!buck

--
A. Lester Buck    buck@siswat.lonestar.org  ...!uhnix1!lobster!siswat!buck

carroll@ssc-vax (Jeff Carroll) (02/27/91)

In article <592@siswat.UUCP> buck@siswat.UUCP (A. Lester Buck) writes:

>Is there really no acceptable Fortran development environment
>under Unix?  Are the Unix Fortran debuggers that bad?  If anyone
>has any first hand experience, I would really appreciate hearing
>about your opinions.

	No, the unix debuggers are not bad; but VAX DEBUG is about
	as nice a debugger as I can imagine on a character-cell
	terminal.

	I have used a few different FORTRAN compilers under unix,
	and liked most of them, though I hesitate to recommend one
	because I know of at least one supplier whose compiler is
	very good on some CPUs and bad on others.

	In my experience, VAX users are phobic about the possibility
	of having to use another machine or OS. VMS makes things
	very easy for the *applications* programmer.

	However, if you have to make a lot of VMS system calls in your
	code, it's another story - besides the fact that you get
	much more bang for the buck from a Unix box.

--
Jeff Carroll
carroll@ssc-vax.boeing.com

rcg@lpi.liant.com (Rick Gorton) (02/28/91)

In article <592@siswat.UUCP> buck@siswat.UUCP (A. Lester Buck) writes:
>His friends tell him that switching from VMS
>Fortran to any Unix Fortran cuts productivity in half for Fortran
>development, so he is leaning heavily toward purchasing a VAXstation
>instead of a fast, cheap Unix box.
>
>Is there really no acceptable Fortran development environment
>under Unix?  Are the Unix Fortran debuggers that bad?  If anyone
>has any first hand experience, I would really appreciate hearing
>about your opinions.
>
>Thanks alot,
>
>A. Lester Buck    buck@siswat.lonestar.org  ...!uhnix1!lobster!siswat!buck

Do your friends friends work for the company that makes VAXen?	:-)
Do they use VMS on a daily basis, or do they actually use UNIX?

There are lots of choices for UNIX FORTRANs depending on the platform
he gets.  If there are a lot of VAX dependencies in his code,
then any UNIX compiler he buys will need to support VAX extensions.
There are numerous compiler vendors selling UNIX products, so your
friend can pick and choose.

I would like to think that our FORTRAN compiler and CodeWatch debugger
are an excellent choice for your friend, but please note that
I work on our SPARC code generator, so my focus is on the correctness
and performance of the FORTRAN code rather than on the development
environment/productivity issues.

I think your friend will be pleasantly surprised at the number of
choices available if he spends some time shopping around.

--
Richard Gorton               rcg@lpi.liant.com  (508) 626-0006
Language Processors, Inc.    Framingham, MA 01760

campbell@dev8h.mdcbbs.com (Tim Campbell) (03/01/91)

In article <1991Feb27.170224.20411@lpi.liant.com>, rcg@lpi.liant.com (Rick Gorton) writes:
> In article <592@siswat.UUCP> buck@siswat.UUCP (A. Lester Buck) writes:
>>His friends tell him that switching from VMS
>>Fortran to any Unix Fortran cuts productivity in half for Fortran
>>development, so he is leaning heavily toward purchasing a VAXstation
>>instead of a fast, cheap Unix box.
>>
>>Is there really no acceptable Fortran development environment
>>under Unix?  Are the Unix Fortran debuggers that bad?  If anyone
>>has any first hand experience, I would really appreciate hearing
>>about your opinions.
>>
>>A. Lester Buck    buck@siswat.lonestar.org  ...!uhnix1!lobster!siswat!buck
>
> Do your friends friends work for the company that makes VAXen?	:-)
> Do they use VMS on a daily basis, or do they actually use UNIX?

I was thinking the same thing.

> I would like to think that our FORTRAN compiler and CodeWatch debugger
> are an excellent choice for your friend, but please note that
> I work on our SPARC code generator, so my focus is on the correctness
> and performance of the FORTRAN code rather than on the development
> environment/productivity issues.

> Richard Gorton               rcg@lpi.liant.com  (508) 626-0006
> Language Processors, Inc.    Framingham, MA 01760
> Hey!  This is MY opinion.  Opinions have little to do with corporate policy.
--
Richard:

On a VAX, the debugger can run in a graphical or text environment.  Even in
the text environment, it sets up a 3 or 4 part screen to show code,
output, commands, etc.

CodeWatch has all the functionality, but it lacks the "window" style
environment. - You tell the debugger to list a few lines of code, and after
a few commands, it's scrolled off the screen and you have to tell it to
list more.  DBX has the same problem, but Sun fixed this with the DBXTool to
provide the graphical/window interface to dbx.  I was really hoping to find
the same functionality for CodeWatch.

I don't use LPI/Fortran (but I have evaluated it), I have however used the
PL/I compiler quite a bit - it's probably by far the best PL/I implementation
available on a workstation.

I had to give up using LPI/Fortran because as I recall, it had problems linking
with code produced by Sun C (it extended function names with underscores on
both sides and I think Sun extended the names with underscores only to the
left.  I thought this was odd because LPI-PL/I seems to have no trouble
linking to Sun C.

PC's easily have the debugger market sewn up.  There's absolutely no debugger
in existence which can compare with either the Borland or Microsoft
integrated debugging/development environments.  If you really want to have
the best workstation debugger, take a lesson from one of these guys.

	  In real life:  Tim Campbell - Electronic Data Systems Corp.
     Usenet:  campbell@dev8.mdcbbs.com   @ McDonnell Douglas M&E - Cypress, CA
       also:  tcampbel@einstein.eds.com  @ EDS - Troy, MI
 CompuServe:  71631,654	 	         Prodigy:  MPTX77A
 P.S.  If anyone asks, just remember, you never saw any of this -- in fact, I
       wasn't even here.

acw@ut-emx.uucp (Anthony C. Woodbury) (03/04/91)

ZZ
:wq

hts@lpi.liant.com (Tom Sandlin) (03/06/91)

In article <1991Mar1.103001.1@dev8h.mdcbbs.com> campbell@dev8h.mdcbbs.com (Tim Campbell) writes:

>On a VAX, the debugger can run in a graphical or text environment.  Even in
>the text environment, it sets up a 3 or 4 part screen to show code,
>output, commands, etc.
>
>CodeWatch has all the functionality, but it lacks the "window" style
>environment. - You tell the debugger to list a few lines of code, and after
>a few commands, it's scrolled off the screen and you have to tell it to
>list more.  DBX has the same problem, but Sun fixed this with the DBXTool to
>provide the graphical/window interface to dbx.  I was really hoping to find
>the same functionality for CodeWatch.

The good news is that a graphical/windowed based interface is now available for
LPI-Codewatch.  X11 and Character-Based versions are available.

The X11 version uses all the capabilities of the  Motif user interface and X windows.  It provides a source window and a command window.

The character-based interface can run on any ASCII terminal, without a graphical
windowing system.  It provides source, command, and output windows.

For further info,  contact :
			     Kristen Telford
			     Language Processors, Inc.
			     959 Concord St.