[comp.lang.fortran] How to get prompt and get input on _same_ line?

pabruton@ccvax.ucd.ie (Paul Bruton, Geophysics, University College Galway) (03/10/91)

In article <djr666.667305027@coombs>, djr666@coombs.anu.edu.au (OzFuzzy) writes:
> iHi there,
> 	I am trying to write a BBS in Fortran, (no dont laugh! On Cybers,
> Fortran has the best system <=> language interface), and to make my program
> look okay, I would like to have a prompt of varying lengths (no longer than
> 20 characters tho) and then get input from that _same_ line.
> 	Any suggestions?
>
> 	I would prefer portable code, ie standard F77 if possible, but pointers
> are welcome.
>
> Andrew Vanderstock.

I have used the following code sucessfully under VMS Fortran:

	PRINT '(a9)','$Prompt> '

followed by a read statement as normal. Dunno if this is standard though.

 Paul B-)