[comp.lang.fortran] Fortran 90 information wanted

knutta@lise.unit.no (Knut Alfredsen) (03/07/91)

Can anybody give some information about Fortran 90. Everything is
interesting.

  - What are the new concepts of the language ?

  - Are there any compilers out yet (with F90 capabilities) ?

  - Is the ISO/ANSI standard ready, and if so where can I get it ?

  - Are there any mailing lists available for programmers interested in
    F90 ?

I hope there is anyone that could answer one or more of these questions.

-Knut Alfredsen
-Division of Hydraulic Engineering
-Norwegian Institute of Technology
-N-7034 TRONDHEIM

Mail  : knutta@lise.unit.no
Phone : +47 7 594749
Fax   : +47 7 591298

Knut Alfredsen                      |  Mail  : knutta@lise.unit.no
Division of Hydraulic Engineering   |  Phone : +47 7 59 4749
Norwegian Institute of Technology   |  Fax   : +47 7 59 1289

khb@chiba.Eng.Sun.COM (Keith Bierman fpgroup) (03/08/91)

In article <1991Mar7.142706.16161@ugle.unit.no> knutta@lise.unit.no (Knut Alfredsen) writes:

     - What are the new concepts of the language ?

Language evolution.

Abstract data types.
Operator Overloading.
Keyword argument passing.
Internal Subroutines.
Modules.

Array operators.

Misc. new bulit in functions and improved control structures.

Non-advancing I/O, namelist.

New source form, ! comments, etc.

     - Are there any compilers out yet (with F90 capabilities) ?

Depends on how choosy you are. Marketing hype aside, the important new
features have yet to show up in droves yet.

     - Is the ISO/ANSI standard ready, and if so where can I get it ?

Finishing touches on the ISO DIS are being made. The work was done by
X3J3, but ANSI procedures being what they are ISO may be able to get
the document out first.

     - Are there any mailing lists available for programmers interested in
       F90 ?

This one. X3J3 and WG5 have lists for committee work. Don't sign up
unless you are prepared for work ;>

I recommend you get a copy of

	Fortran 90 Explained
	Metcalf and Reid, Oxford Science Publications
	ISBN 0 19 853772 7

It seems designed for experienced FORTRAN 77 programmers.

There is also a textbook by Walt Brainard, et al. which is probably to
be preferred for novices just learning programming. I have loaned my
copy out, so I'm missing the ISBN just now. You can contact
wsb@eng.sun.com for more information.

Miles Ellis's new edition of his worthy FORTRAN 77 textbook has a
section on Fortran 90.

Keith H. Bierman    kbierman@Eng.Sun.COM | khb@chiba.Eng.Sun.COM
SMI 2550 Garcia 12-33			 | (415 336 2648)
    Mountain View, CA 94043

rbe@yrloc.ipsa.reuter.COM (Robert Bernecky) (03/15/91)

The standard is certainly available in draft form. I don't know
its state otherwise.

I also have an article which is claimed to have appeared in the January 1991
issue of SIGPLAN Notices ( Thanks to Canada Post, mine hasn't arrived
yet...), which isn't particularly friendly to Fortran 90, but
you might find it interesting.

It's titled "Fortran 90 Arrays". Due to my error, the email address
noted in the article is wrong. It should either be the address
I'm using to send this from (rbe@yrloc.ipsa.reuter.COM) or
bernecky@itrchq.itrc.on.ca.  I prefer rbe@yrloc...

Robert Bernecky

vsnyder@jato.jpl.nasa.gov (Van Snyder) (03/19/91)

In article <1991Mar14.231007.24534@yrloc.ipsa.reuter.COM> rbe@yrloc.ipsa.reuter.COM (Robert Bernecky) writes:
>The standard is certainly available in draft form. I don't know
>its state otherwise.

The standard finished the third public review in December.  I think there were
14 comment letters.  X3J3 has resolved to make ONLY editorial changes in the
standard.  OSI / WG2.5 are itching to publish a standard.

You can get a copy of the draft standard for $50(!) from Global Engineering
Documents in Irvine, CA (Sorry, I don't know their street address).  You
may be able to get it in machine readable (nroff) form from Bob Allison at
Microsoft (uunet!microsoft!bobal ?).  I KNOW you can get it in machine
readable from from Walt Brainerd, but I've lost his E-mail address.  The
secretary of X3J3 is Jerrold L. Wagener, Amoco Production Research, PO Box
3385, Tulsa, OK 74102 (918/660-3978).  Kurt Hirchert (hirchert@ncsa.uiuc.edu)
maintains a mailing list of developers.  Either Jerry or Kurt should be able
to tell you more, or put you in touch with Walt.

>I also have an article which is claimed to have appeared in the January 1991
>issue of SIGPLAN Notices ( Thanks to Canada Post, mine hasn't arrived
>yet...), which isn't particularly friendly to Fortran 90, but
>you might find it interesting.
>
>It's titled "Fortran 90 Arrays". Due to my error, the email address
>noted in the article is wrong. It should either be the address
>I'm using to send this from (rbe@yrloc.ipsa.reuter.COM) or
>bernecky@itrchq.itrc.on.ca.  I prefer rbe@yrloc...

You didn't lose much by missing the Sigplan article.  It was mainly moaning
that Fortran 90 wasn't APL.  It's not that some of the author's points were
incorrect: Fortran 90 unnecessarily has the "beloved Fortran tacked-on look,"
which could have been greatly repaired by paying more attention to regularity
in the language design, and using "adverbs" as suggested in the Sigplan article.
But the effect would have been much greater if the author had expressed his
sentiment directly to X3J3 in the first public comment.  Those of us who
agree in principle with him were greatly outnumbered by those (on the committee
and in the public at large) who believe things like "Fortran programmers like
to see what their code is doing [at the machine level] by looking at it" and
"Real relationals were a mistake in Fortran IV..." etc.

--
vsnyder@jato.Jpl.Nasa.Gov
ames!elroy!jato!vsnyder

khb@chiba.Eng.Sun.COM (Keith Bierman fpgroup) (03/19/91)

In article <1991Mar19.021150.22417@jato.jpl.nasa.gov> vsnyder@jato.jpl.nasa.gov (Van Snyder) writes:

   Documents in Irvine, CA (Sorry, I don't know their street address).  You
   may be able to get it in machine readable (nroff) form from Bob Allison at

wsb@sun.com

should work.