[comp.lang.fortran] Wanted: Replacement linker for msdos.

kushmer@bnlux0.bnl.gov (christopher kushmerick) (03/08/91)

Are there any good public domain, shareware or commercial replacement linkers?

I am using Ryan McFarland fortran, together with a callms (call micro soft)
kludge, to call some routines in an ms comaptible library. I use the linker
PLINK86plus, the P standing for Pro, I think (as in profort).

Anyway this works fine, except that the linker seems too slow. Are there good
replacements out there?

--
Chris Kushmerick                                 kciremhsuK sirhC
kushmer@bnlux0.bnl.gov    <===Try this one first

vsnyder@jato.jpl.nasa.gov (Van Snyder) (03/09/91)

In article <2635@bnlux0.bnl.gov> kushmer@bnlux0.bnl.gov (christopher kushmerick) writes:

>Are there any good public domain, shareware or commercial replacement linkers?

Try the OptLink linker from SLR Systems.  It's 5-10 times faster than the DOS
linker.

>I am using Ryan McFarland fortran, together with a callms (call micro soft)
>kludge, to call some routines in an ms comaptible library. I use the linker
>PLINK86plus, the P standing for Pro, I think (as in profort).

I don't know exactly where to get the SLR linker.  I got it with my Lahey
compiler.  I HAD an RM compiler at one time.  It pooped out one of those
messages that says: "A compiler error has occurred.  This shouldn't happen.
Please contact RM immediately."  So I did.  18 months later, I got a polite
form letter inviting me to BUY their next upgrade.  By then, I'd been using
Lahey's compiler for 15 months.  Lahey's compiler is about 4 times faster than
RM's.  Lahey's debugger isn't code-view, but it's very useful nonetheless.
I once had a bug in complex arithmetic, and called Lahey about it.  In ONE
HOUR they called back, and said "type this ... into your .FIX" file.  I said
"my WHAT file?"  Turns out there's an ascii file the compiler reads and
patches itself before it runs.  How's that for service?  I've only worked with
two folks that have that quality service: Lahey and WordPerfect.

End of commercial.

Regards.

--
vsnyder@jato.Jpl.Nasa.Gov
ames!elroy!jato!vsnyder

d9ulft@dtek.chalmers.se (Ulf Th|rnblad) (03/27/91)

In article <2635@bnlux0.bnl.gov> kushmer@bnlux0.bnl.gov (christopher kushmerick) writes:

>Are there any good public domain, shareware or commercial replacement linkers?
>

>I am using Ryan McFarland fortran, together with a callms (call micro soft)
>kludge, to call some routines in an ms comaptible library. I use the linker
>PLINK86plus, the P standing for Pro, I think (as in profort).
>

>Anyway this works fine, except that the linker seems too slow. Are there good
>replacements out there?
>

>--
>Chris Kushmerick                                 kciremhsuK sirhC
>kushmer@bnlux0.bnl.gov    <===Try this one first
>kushmerick@pofvax.sunysb.edu

  HEEEEELP !

  Is there anybody who knows how to get a Paintbrush-picture
  ( .PCX )  into a pascal-program (Turbo Pascal 5.5) ???

  Please e-mail to

  d9ulft@dtek.chalmers.se

  (Deep shit...).