[net.movies] Eraserhead

dross@vlnvax.DEC (04/30/85)

	Can anyone offer explanation as to the reasoning behind the making
of "Eraserhead"?  I rented it this weekend and was unimpressed, disappointed,
and confused.  Why would anyone PAY to have this movie made?  It does not
entertain, inform, stimulate the brain, or evoke any emotion.  I find it to
be more offensive than the slasher/T&A/Smokey and the Car Chase offerings
because it doesn't seem to address itself to ANY audience...  Did I miss
something?

	I must admit I WAS impressed by the baby... I believe ET was a not
too distant cousin of the little bag of guts...

	If anyone can explain any of the following, I would appreciate it :

	*  The squabs that moved and "bled"...
	*  The "worms" dropping on the woman with the tennis balls in her mouth
	*  The eraser producing machine and what it meant
	*  Henry's hair

Doug Ross
decwrl!rhea!vlnvax!dross

grl@charm.UUCP (George Lake) (05/01/85)

This film was made by the director, David Lynch,
 when he was a student at AFI.
It was made for very little money (mostly financed by AFI and
one of their rich patrons-- I think in this case it was Gloria
Vanderbilt).  The actors were generally AFI fellows and other people
who were more anxious to be seen than to get paid.  Lynch is
supposed to have paid them points after the film "took off".

Lynch is first and foremost a visual stylist.  Narrative doesn't
interest him much and judging from his films, he's certainly not
good at it.  He has only made three films (Dune and Elephant Man
are the other two), spending most of his time painting.

Eraserhead is mostly a depiction of hell.  The scene where the girl
is singing and the beasties are crawling is the closest that I've
ever come to seeing hell, so in that sense it's a success.

 I do agree that it's mostly a bore-- I thought Dune was an even
greater snooze.

cv@linus.UUCP (Chris J. Valas) (05/01/85)

-=-
In article <1911@decwrl.UUCP> dross@vlnvax.DEC writes:

>	Can anyone offer explanation as to the reasoning behind the making
>of "Eraserhead"?  I rented it this weekend and was unimpressed, disappointed,
>and confused.  Why would anyone PAY to have this movie made?  It does not
>entertain, inform, stimulate the brain, or evoke any emotion.

"Eraserhead" is a meditation on various depressing aspects of marriage and
children.  Throughout the course of the movie, Henry is subjected to the
absolute worst imaginable versions of the standard marriage/children
scenes.  To cite a few:

- The first time Henry goes to his (God help us) "girlfriend's" house,
he suffers through an argument at the door, is molested by the girl's
*mother*, is informed that she is pregnant and they will have to marry.
At the dinner table, Henry is asked to carve the squabs (ever get put on
the spot as someone else's guest?), and, of course, everything goes wrong,
even though Henry has *nothing* to do with it...  The mother and daughter
have a fight at the table, and they both run into the kitchen, amid much
crying and dissension, leaving Henry to talk to the weird father, with whom
he has nothing in common.  The whole episode is one nightmare resolutely
following another, until you can hardly stand to watch another moment!

- After they have married, they move to Henry's tiny, ill-appointed
apartment.  They are in bed and the wife (remember she is pregnant)
is having nightmares and abrupt writhings; Henry looks under the sheet
and begins to pull on something.  He jerks it sharply free and his wife
convulses; it was obviously pulled from inside of her body... Henry lifts
it up and realizes it resembles a huge misshapen sperm and throws it against
the wall, repulsed.  Even though he *is* repulsed, he continues to pull more
of these hideous objects from within the wife.  We realize that both of them
are suffering from guilt and anxiety over the pregnancy, with Henry
symbolically ridding her of his semen.  (Forgive, folks, but an explanation
was asked for...)

- Henry is laying on the bed, and has a daydream, escaping his nagging wife
by visualizing a girl on a stage, singing a happy song (Chorus: "In heaven,
everything is fine...").  Symbolic sperm start to rain down from above the
stage:  This is Henry's reality injecting itself into his escapist vision.
Henry manipulates the dream-image of the girl by having her start to stamp
on the offending sperm, crushing them, and the intrusion, while still
singing.  There are too many of them though, and the dream-state collapses,
leaving Henry back in his apartment.

- Their child is born weak and hideously deformed.  It cries with a mono-
tonous regularity (as do most infants :-) ) but only the wife is able to calm
it.  It is interesting to note that the child has no name or gender in the
movie.  Without these things, we focus our attention on how it affects
Henry's environment, rather than on the details of the child itself.  Henry
can hardly believe he has fathered such a creature, trying at first to
suppress its' presence, and then trying to destroy it.  At this point, the
child (more symbolism) grows huge and begins to attack and lunge at Henry,
now truly the monster its appearance threatened all along.  By hurting
the child, Henry has magnified his problems a hundredfold.

Henry is rarely an agent of action in "Eraserhead".  People and circumstance
act on Henry throughout, illustrating the common feeling many people have
of being manipulated when faced with the various prospects of marriage and
becoming a parent.  Societys' expectations and the desires of relatives and
spouses are most often the sources of these feelings, and these points are
aptly rendered in the movie.

"Eraserhead" was directed by David Lynch, lately responsible for the DUNE
fiasco (no flames please; DUNE stinks, but that's just *my* opinion).  He
does throw in a tremendous amount of oppressive detail, extending even to
the industrial-noise soundtrack and the stark off-black-and-white tone of
the photography.  Henry's attention to the strange little details in this movie
(intermittent sputtering light bulbs, piles of grass carefully arranged in his
apartment, etc.) are designed to give us a context for his reactions of
fascination and horror to the main events.  I've seen the movie several times
and found it hard to ignore all of the detail long enough to get the message.
After the second time, I was used to all of the "bits of business" and could
step back a little and try to figure out what Lynch was trying to do.

I recommend it to fans of dark and oppressive lifestyles ;-).

To Doug Ross: try it again.  I really didn't care for it the first time
either.

Chris J. Valas         {decvax,utzoo,philabs,security,allegra,genrad}!linus!cv
-=-

reiher@ucla-cs.UUCP (05/02/85)

In article <1911@decwrl.UUCP> dross@vlnvax.DEC writes:

>	Can anyone offer explanation as to the reasoning behind the making
>of "Eraserhead"?  I rented it this weekend and was unimpressed, disappointed,
>and confused.  Why would anyone PAY to have this movie made?

"Eraseehead" was made on grant money from a variety of sources.  I have seen
much stranger and less interesting films made from grant money.

>It does not
>entertain, inform, stimulate the brain, or evoke any emotion.  I find it to
>be more offensive than the slasher/T&A/Smokey and the Car Chase offerings
>because it doesn't seem to address itself to ANY audience...  Did I miss
>something?

Well, yes, you did miss something.  "Eraserhead" is advertised as "A dream of
dark and troubling things."  I don't claim to understand it, but I certainly
did find it troubling.  The imagery is fascinating (to me and a few others,
at least) and the exercise of trying to follow the plot is reminiscent of
reconstructing my dreams the day after.  I can identify certain major plot
points, but weird and unexplainable things intrude, and the overall motivations
and meanings are obscure.  I will readily admit that enjoyment of this sort
of experience is very much a matter of taste.  I'm not sure if I can honestly
say that "Eraserhead" entertained me in the more conventional meaning of the
word, and it certainly didn't inform me, but it did stimulate me (even at
midnight, which is when I saw it) and it did evoke several emotions.

>	If anyone can explain any of the following, I would appreciate it :

I read an interview with David Lynch in which he said that there was no
explanation for much of the imagery in "Eraserhead".  Attempting to fit it
all into a neat package is futile.
--
        			Peter Reiher
        			reiher@ucla-cs.arpa

abh6509@ritcv.UUCP (A. Hudson) (05/16/85)

> Eraserhead is mostly a depiction of hell.  The scene where the girl
> is singing and the beasties are crawling is the closest that I've
> ever come to seeing hell, so in that sense it's a success.
>
>  I do agree that it's mostly a bore-- I thought Dune was an even
> greater snooze.

Well, we all have our opinions and different interpretations.....
I though Eraserhead was mindboggling incredible. I thought that
except for two points it would have been a perfect movie.
If symbolism is your thing, which it is mine, the movie was a veritable
plethora. I had a lengthy discussion with a movie and film major
and he seemed to think that it was more or less an anti-abortion
message. I could see little to support this.

the two points?
	1) when his girl friend got a little over hysterical
	   before dinner.
	2) when John seemed to at ease sliding into the liquid
	   bed with his neighbor.

Well what do you think????

Andrew Hudson

goodrum@unc.UUCP (Cloyd Goodrum) (05/28/85)

In article <ritcv.82> abh6509@ritcv.UUCP (A. Hudson) writes:

>	2) when John seemed to at ease sliding into the liquid
		^^^^
>	   bed with his neighbor.

	Wasn't the guy's name Henry?

Cloyd Goodrum III