[comp.lang.fortran] fortran compilers for i860?

simon@castle.ed.ac.uk (Simon Brown) (04/18/91)

I'm looking at buying some 860 trams, but want to know which Fortran
compiler to use. Anyone got any feedback/experience of the Greenhills
and Portland Group compilers (or know of any others ?) ?

Simon Brown.
University of Edinburgh.
Email: simon@ed.ac.uk
[I've seen lots of discussions of the challenge of i860 optimization, but
surprisingly few results. -John]
--
Send compilers articles to compilers@iecc.cambridge.ma.us or
{ima | spdcc | world}!iecc!compilers.  Meta-mail to compilers-request.

carroll@cs.washington.edu (Jeff Carroll) (04/23/91)

In article <9654@castle.ed.ac.uk> Simon Brown <simon@castle.ed.ac.uk> writes:
>I'm looking at buying some 860 trams, but want to know which Fortran
>compiler to use. Anyone got any feedback/experience of the Greenhills
>and Portland Group compilers (or know of any others ?) ?

	Intel's Supercomputer Systems Division dumped Green Hills a few months
ago in favor of the Portland Group compiler, which I am told by people I
trust outperforms any other FORTRAN for the 860.

	Disclaimer: I haven't visited our iPSC in a while, and we program our
860 TRAMS in C and Occam.

--
Jeff Carroll
carroll@ssc-vax.boeing.com