[comp.lang.fortran] Fortran 90

brainerd@unmvax.unm.edu (Walt Brainerd) (01/13/90)

         I t ' s   F o r t r a n   9 0  ! ! !

I just returned a few hours ago from the Dallas X3J3 meeting.
The spirit was to fix the known problems and ship it.

Typical of the size of the technical changes was the one
to change the unequal operator from <> to /= because (among other things)
"less than or greater than" does not read too well for complex values.
Also, the idea of user-specified character sets (which implied the
possibility of using strange letters in identifiers) was dropped.
There were a few other small items that I and others will pass along
as soon as I have a chance to collect every thing and produce the
next version of the document.

The biggie was to agree to give the language the informal name "Fortran 90".
So it turns out that the X in Fortran 8X was a Roman numeral.

The committee has directed the US delegation to the WG5 meeting
next month to vote "no", but change to "yes" as soon as the edit
changes and small changes such as those above are accepted
(the vote must be done this way unless you propose no changes).
So the expectation is that it will enter the last stages of processing
as both an ISO and American standard with few technical changes.

Even the people at the meeting who have traditionally opposed the standard
did a LOT of hard and good work to make sure that we identified all
of the new arguments raised in the second round of public comments
and turn them into editorial or technical change proposals,
but the mood was that if it was a request for things that had been
considered many times before, we would just work to get it done.

--
Walt Brainerd  Unicomp, Inc.           brainerd@unmvax.cs.unm.edu
               2002 Quail Run Dr. NE

metcalf@cernvm.cern.ch (Michael Metcalf) (05/31/90)

                              FORTRAN 90 - AT LAST!
                              _____________________

         New Draft is Forwarded
         ______________________

            For the last 12 years, the ANSI technical committee X3J3 has
         been working  on a  new version  of the  Fortran standard,   to
         replace FORTRAN 77.   The good news  from the recent meeting of
         X3J3 was  that it  achieved its most  important objective  - to
         finish the  agreed technical  work on  the third  draft of  the
         standard,  known as Fortran 90 - and  voted 27 to 11 to forward
         it to  its senior  committee,  X3,   for further  forwarding to
         ISO/SC22 to become a DIS  (Draft International Standard).  Once
         registered as a DIS in Geneva, it can be subject only to edito-
         rial changes and would normally become  a full ISO standard six
         months later, after country votes on its adoption.

            Being Fortran,  life  is,  of course,  not  quite so simple.
         Although the second  draft standard on which this  third one is
         based was well accepted by the public, and the third represents
         only relatively minor modifications to  the second,  X3J3 voted
         22 to  13 to recommend  X3 to subject it  to a third  period of
         public comment within the US. This has two consequences:

         *   even if  the comment is  restricted to only  those features
             which have changed  and is handled as  rapidly as possible,
             an inevitable delay  in its final introduction as  a US (as
             opposed to international) standard is introduced;

         *   the  door  is opened  to  the  possibility of  yet  further
             changes being made to the US  standard even as the interna-
             tional one is being adopted!   Result:  three Fortran stan-
             dards (X3 has already decided to keep Fortran 77 as a sepa-
             rate standard from Fortran 90).

         There is little  that can be done by other  countries to influ-
         ence X3 in this regard.

            The other fly in the ointment is the claim that, at the last
         minute,  a design error has been found in the way in which for-
         ward references to procedures are handled. Imagine that, within
         a  module containing  many  procedures  which contain  in  turn
         internal procedures, a reference to SIN(X) is found.  Is this a
         reference to the intrinsic SIN function,  to an internal proce-
         dure of the  same name,  or to another module  procedure of the
         same name?  If very long modules are written, it can be discov-
         ered very late that a wrong assumption has been made and compi-
         lation has  to restart.   The problem  can be  coded around  by
         demanding truly explicit  interfaces,  use of the  INTRINSIC or
         EXTERNAL statements,  compiler directives,   or smart compilers
         which make  a fast first  scan over the  source text to  get an
         'overview' of what it has to  do.  Another solution is to alter
         some of  the language  syntax such that  the problem  goes away
         (for  the   compiler  writer).   It   boils  down  to   a  com-
         pile-time inefficiency issue, and had been identified as
         such at the  second Implementation Workshop which  had preceded
         the meeting.

            The situation is left such that  some people think the draft
         is flawed, while others think there is no problem (at least not
         a serious one).  Sun,  for instance,  is opposed to any further
         change in the  document.   There will be an  attempt to examine
         the issue in  more detail by an  ad hoc group,  and  this might
         lead to an  attempt to make a technical change  to the document
         even during the  formal processing.   Anyway,  the  big vote to
         forward the standard was clouded by these two issues, and there
         was no mood of celebration.

         Implementations
         _______________

         Passing the standard is only  a beginning - implementations are
         what the users want to see. It has been very encouraging that a
         second Implementation Workshop was held,  at which implementers
         have  been  able  to  hammer out  some  of  the  implementation
         details.  This one was attended by 55 people, with most vendors
         represented.

         The Future
         __________

         Now that  the standard is formally  finished as far as  X3J3 is
         concerned (aside from the  matters described above),  attention
         now turns to the future of the committee.   It is not yet clear
         what the  future role of X3J3  will be.  It  has produced
         Fortran 90 under old rules which no longer apply. Will the next
         standard be prepared by some  form of international group based
         on ISO/SC22/WG5?   Certainly many think so.  And what should be
         the form and content of a successor standard?  Can this be sen-
         sibly discussed before the new one is even in the field? Should
         there even be a new standard  at all?   These topics will begin
         to be discussed at a WG5 meeting in August, and I would be hap-
         py to receive any input from those of you who have views.  Note
         that a summary of Fortran 90  is available as CN/90/06 from the
         Computer Science Library or JRZCN AT CERNVM.

            I hope we  can now turn our attention  to collaborating with
         vendors as they  bring new products onto the  market,  and look
         forward to an eventual success for Fortran 90.

         M. Metcalf

julian@cernvax.UUCP (julian bunn) (09/24/90)

Fortran 90 Explained, Michael Metcalf and John Reid

This new edition is being published in October. It corresponds
to the third draft proposed standard for Fortran 90
now undergoing US and international public review, but incorporating
many of the detailed changes made at the last meeting of
X3J3 in August 1990. Given that Fortran 90 is now at an advanced
stage in the standardization procedure, with adoption as an ISO
standard widely considered likely early next year, this should
be the final edition of this book.

Compared with the revised edition of 'Fortran 8x Explained'
it has been completely revised to
take account of all the modifications to the draft standard.
In particular, a thorough audit comparing the texts of the book
and of the draft standard has been undertaken. The text has been
reset using an improved text-processing system.

Ordering information:

ISBN   0 19 853772-7

Price  $29.95 or 14.95 pounds sterling

Publisher   Oxford University Press

   US       200 Madison Avenue
            New York, NY 10016
            (212) 679-7300

   UK       OUP Bookshop
            116 High Street
            Oxford OX1 4BR
            (0865) 56767

sjc@key.COM (Steve Correll) (09/25/90)

In article <2813@cernvax.UUCP>, julian@cernvax.UUCP (julian bunn) writes:

> Fortran 90 Explained, Michael Metcalf and John Reid
>
> This new edition is being published in October. It corresponds
> to the third draft proposed standard for Fortran 90...
> ...this should
> be the final edition of this book.

Now if only there were a cheap upgrade available to registered owners of the
first two editions of this software--er, book. :-)
--
sjc@key.com or ...{sun,pyramid}!pacbell!key!sjc 		Steve Correll

In article <2813@cernvax.UUCP>, julian@cernvax.UUCP (julian bunn) writes:
> Fortran 90 Explained, Michael Metcalf and John Reid

Sigh.  Is there an upgrade policy for owners of an earlier release?
--
Fixed in the next release.

sp@beta.lanl.gov (Stephen W Poole) (01/21/91)

I was wondering if anyone knows of any F90 preprocessors that are available
other than the ones from Pacific Sierra and the one from ParaSoft.

Steve...

vanadis@cs.dal.ca (Jose Castejon-Amenedo) (04/24/91)

	Is there a public domain document where Fortran 90 (or what
has so far been agreed about it) is described?

JCA
vanadis@cs.dal.ca

vsnyder@jato.jpl.nasa.gov (Van Snyder) (04/26/91)

In article <1991Apr23.181439.6437@cs.dal.ca> vanadis@cs.dal.ca (Jose Castejon-Amenedo) writes:

>	Is there a public domain document where Fortran 90 (or what
>has so far been agreed about it) is described?

I haven't heard of "public domain" in the sense of free and machine-readable.
But there is the draft standard, available from Global Engineering Documents
in Irvine, CA for about $50, and two books, one by Metcalf and Reid, and the
other by Adams, Brainerd and ? (not sure of the latter).  Walt Brainerd has
offered the draft standard in N-roff form for sale.  Walt reads stuff here and
will post details if he wants to be bothered.

--
vsnyder@jato.Jpl.Nasa.Gov
ames!elroy!jato!vsnyder

vanadis@cs.dal.ca (Jose Castejon-Amenedo) (04/26/91)

	I want to thank

		Jeff Carroll (carroll@ssc-vax.boeing.com),
		Melvin Klassen (klassen@sol.UVic.CA),
		Peter L. Montgomery (pmontgom@math.ucla.edu),
		Van Snyder (vsnyder@jato.Jpl.Nasa.Gov),

for their replies to my query about documents on Fortran 90.

	As it happens, there exist public domain documents, but they
are not free. Two texts are ``Programmer's Guide to Fortran 90'', by
W.S. Brainerd, C.H. Goldberg, & J.C. Adams; and ``Fortran 90: The
Complete ANSI Reference'', by J.C. Adams (both in McGraw-Hill).

JCA
vanadis@cs.dal.ca

psmith@convex.com (Presley Smith) (04/26/91)

In article <1991Apr26.113820.1826@cs.dal.ca> vanadis@cs.dal.ca (Jose Castejon-Amenedo) writes:

>	I want to thank
>
>		Jeff Carroll (carroll@ssc-vax.boeing.com),
>		Melvin Klassen (klassen@sol.UVic.CA),
>		Peter L. Montgomery (pmontgom@math.ucla.edu),
>		Van Snyder (vsnyder@jato.Jpl.Nasa.Gov),
>
>for their replies to my query about documents on Fortran 90.
>
>	As it happens, there exist public domain documents, but they
>are not free. Two texts are ``Programmer's Guide to Fortran 90'', by
>W.S. Brainerd, C.H. Goldberg, & J.C. Adams; and ``Fortran 90: The
>Complete ANSI Reference'', by J.C. Adams (both in McGraw-Hill).

You must remember that only X3J3 or WG5 can issue interpretations
on Fortran 90.  The title "Fortran 90: The Complete ANSI Reference"
is a bit misleading.   The author of that book can only provide
her interpretation and guidance on the standard.  If X3J3 or WG5
decides that something in the standard will be interpreted differently
from what it's interpreted in the Adams book, then that will be the
official interpretation.   The Adams book does not speak for the
committees or for ANSI.

I'd suggest that anyone wanting to know what the standard says should
buy a copy of the standard and read it.  If you want help in understanding
what it says, then these books and the "Fortran 90 Explained" by Metcalf
and Reid can help explain it to you.

This standard is large and complex.  The committee made 93 changes to
it in the last meeting a couple of weeks ago.  None of those changes
and many of the changes made in the last 6 months are probably not
comprehended in any of these books.

FYI