[comp.lang.fortran] Dangers of cross-posting

jim@jagubox.gsfc.nasa.gov (Jim Jagielski) (05/09/91)

In article <1991May9.015709.14208@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> andreess@mrlaxs.mrl.uiuc.edu (Marc Andreessen) writes:
}In article <2403@cluster.cs.su.oz.au> schan@basser.cs.su.OZ.AU (Stephen Chan) writes:
}>I have a task of converting a software package from a VAX over to a MIPS.
}>The source is written in fortran.  Can anyone tell me how different are the two
}>fortran compilers.  Have I been set a difficult task ?
}
}MIPS Fortran is very similar to VAX Fortran, so there should be few problems
}(but be sure to use the -static flag with the MIPS compiler).
}
}This is not the newsgroup for this; try comp.unix.ultrix or comp.sys.dec
}or comp.os.vms.
}

Of course, comp.lang.fortran IS the correct newsgroup (well, at least ONE
of them... the others being comp.sys.mips and comp.sys.dec...). I assume that
the reason someone was told NOT to discuss FORTRAN in "this" newsgroup was
because because the person who replied to it was in the inappropriate group
(comp.unix.aix) that the message was also posted too...

#include <std/disclaimer.h>
                                 =:^)
           Jim Jagielski                    NASA/GSFC, Code 711.4
     jim@jagubox.gsfc.nasa.gov               Greenbelt, MD 20771

"If we increase the size of the penguin until it is the same height as a man
 and then compare the relative brain size, we know find that the penguin's
 brain is still smaller. But, and this is the point, it is larger than it WAS!"

andreess@mrlaxs.mrl.uiuc.edu (Marc Andreessen) (05/10/91)

In article <5275@dftsrv.gsfc.nasa.gov> jim@jagubox.gsfc.nasa.gov (Jim Jagielski) writes:
>In article <1991May9.015709.14208@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> andreess@mrlaxs.mrl.uiuc.edu (Marc Andreessen) writes:
>}This is not the newsgroup for this; try comp.unix.ultrix or comp.sys.dec
>}or comp.os.vms.
>Of course, comp.lang.fortran IS the correct newsgroup (well, at least ONE
>of them... the others being comp.sys.mips and comp.sys.dec...). I assume that
>the reason someone was told NOT to discuss FORTRAN in "this" newsgroup was
>because because the person who replied to it was in the inappropriate group
>(comp.unix.aix) that the message was also posted too...

Oops.  Forgot to edit out comp.lang.fortran for my followup.  (BTW, I said
comp.unix.ultrix because odds are he's got DECstations.)

And now back to your regularly scheduled programming...

Marc

--
Marc Andreessen___________University of Illinois Materials Research Laboratory
Internet: andreessen@uimrl7.mrl.uiuc.edu____________Bitnet: andreessen@uiucmrl