[comp.lang.fortran] Need FORTRAN compiler for a PC.

mdc@pyuxf.cc.bellcore.com (D C Marden) (05/10/91)

I am posting this for a young friend of our family.

He is a student (read going to school and working, virtually at
the same time). He needs a fortran compiler that will run on
a PC (IBM compatible) but $500 for Microsofts version is a little steep.

Anybody know if there is an fortran compiler that is somehow in
the public domian and if so how to get a copy of it?

v087mxgb@ubvmsa.cc.buffalo.edu (Shawn E Thompson) (05/10/91)

In article <22@pyuxf.UUCP>, mdc@pyuxf.cc.bellcore.com (D C Marden) writes...

>Anybody know if there is an fortran compiler that is somehow in
>the public domian and if so how to get a copy of it?

I looked around a little while ago for the same thing, but
to no avail (I second the motion - are there any out there,
I found FST's Modula-2 to be excellent!!).

I settled on two alternatives - Lahey's Personal
Fortran77 ($100 range - excellent), or buying a
license transfer (legally transferred) from an
OLD MS version from someone (my old company
sold an entire TI Professional Computer, including
all original software, etc for $100. I would think
you could look for a used license, but check with the
manufacturer about license transfer - its a pretty
standard thing now, and fully legal.

Anyway, maybe look at picking up someone's old MS Fortran
version 3 or so.......

st

Ross Taylor <taylor@sun.soe.clarkson.edu> (05/10/91)

software transfers from companies, he suggested picking up an old
MS Fortran 3.x.  My recommendation, for what it is worth, is to stay away
from MS Fortran 3.x.  Its a pain to use and, MOST IMPORTANTLY, it is not
a complete implementation of F77.

MS Fortran did not getto be any good until version 4.01 (now 5.0 is out).
I have used these for years and am happy with them but they are not
good tools for the beginning FORTRAN programmer (student?).  There is
a non-trivial learning curve associated with any sophisticated compiler
and MS Fortran certainly falls into this category.

My sceond recommendation is that the individual who wanted a Fortran
compiler for a student (did I remember correctly) look at WATFOR77
form WATCOM.  Its a one pass compiler with excellent diagnostics and
a built in debugger.  Its not that expensive and many universities use
it and/or have site licenses for it.  Mine does and we have used it for
many years in our beginning Fortran course.  If the person concerned
is going to a University, he/she might look into whether or not that
institution has a site license already.

Ross Taylor
Department of Chemical Engineering
Clarkson University
Potsdam, NY 13699 (yes, we have our won zip code)

taylor@sun.soe.clarkson.edu

ralphc@tekcae.CAX.TEK.COM (Ralph Carpenter) (05/15/91)

In article <75798@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> v087mxgb@ubvmsa.cc.buffalo.edu writes:
+In article <22@pyuxf.UUCP>, mdc@pyuxf.cc.bellcore.com (D C Marden) writes...
+>
+
+I settled on two alternatives - Lahey's Personal
+Fortran77 ($100 range - excellent), or buying a
+license transfer (legally transferred) from an
+OLD MS version from someone (my old company [text deleted]

Microsoft Fortran Version 5's street price is less than $300.  I have ordered
from a mail order place called Telemart, in Phoenix, that did well by me, that
advertises MicroSoft Fortran for $275 + $8 shipping (1+800+622-6659) (May 14
1991 PC Magazine, page 91)  Of course,I have no connection with them,
except as a once satisfied customer.

One other angle, I once bought an old (Tandy) version of M/S fortran and M/S
let me upgrade it for $150 with the front page of the reference manual.  Call
Microsoft Sales 1+800+227-6444 first.

Ralph Carpenter