[comp.lang.fortran] Advice on Technical Plotting Software for DECstation Wanted

liq@sol.cs.fau.edu (Charlie Li) (05/14/91)

Hi,

We need to draw 2D and 3D graphs on Decstation 5000 running Ultrix with
DecWindows, Tektronix terminals and HP LaserJet/Apple LaserWriter printers.
IMSL has a package Exponent Graphics for this, but quite expensive ($1575).
Anybody has experince with it?  Is it good? Compare to IGL/AGII.  Is there
any similar technical plotting library or fully menu driven package with
good price or in public domain?  I attach some information of IMSL's
Exponent Graphics to this mail for reference.

Thank you for your advice in advance.  Sorry if I post to a wrong group.

Charlie Li
Florida Atlantic University

IMSL gives 2D and 3D Technical Plotting a new soltuion: Exponent Graphics
It uses over 70 FORTRAN callable subroutines to make following plots:

Scatter plots (2D & 3D)          Bar charts (2D & 3D)
Function plots (2D & 3D)         Polar plots
Splines                          Pie charts
Contour plots (2D & 3D)          Filled area charts
Box plots                        Error bars
Vector plots (2D & 3D)           Confidence interval
Historams (2D & 3D)

Machines supported: DECstation running Ultrix RISC FORTRAN, Sun
                    Sparcstations running SunOS, HP and many other platforms.

Display Devices supported: X-Windows, DecWindows, SunView;
                           Tektronix, Regis and otehr common graphics monitors

Hardcopy Devices supported: Laser printers, Postscript and HP Plotter
                            Compatible Devices

fangchin@elaine54.Stanford.EDU (Chin Fang) (05/15/91)

In article <1991May14.134648.21242@cs.fau.edu> liq@sol.cs.fau.edu (Charlie Li) writes:
>Hi,
>
>We need to draw 2D and 3D graphs on Decstation 5000 running Ultrix with
>DecWindows, Tektronix terminals and HP LaserJet/Apple LaserWriter printers.

[stuff related to IMSL deleted]

I would recommand you ftp gnuplot 2.0.2 from prep.ai.mit.edu /pub/gnu
and 3D patch from cs.utah.edu (an excellent patch made by Elber Gershon)

Gnuplot is so portable I think anyone with a little experience programming C
in Unix enviornment can set it up in sleep!  I have built it for my school's
SUN SPARC running SUNOS 4.4.1, DECstations 3100 running Ultrix 4.1, IBM RS6000
running AIX 3.1.5, and my personal 386 unix box running ESIX V R3.2 rev D.
All computers also run MIT's X11R4 except RS6000, for which I built X11R4
clients/libs/includes but for the time being we are stuck with the X11R3
server provided by IBM :-{

It supports X, and lot's terminals/printers.  Except bussiness oriented bar
pie stuff, it beats the IMSL thing by miles (which perhaps use some codes from
this VERY well known PD package?) for interactive usuages.

Hope the info helps

>Thank you for your advice in advance.  Sorry if I post to a wrong group.
>
>Charlie Li
>Florida Atlantic University

[IMSL exponent plot stuff deleted]

You are very welcome.

Chin Fang
Mechanical Engineering Department
Stanford University
fangchin@leland.stanford.edu

fangchin@elaine54.Stanford.EDU (Chin Fang) (05/16/91)

After my post regarding gnuplot, I got so many mails asking for where to
find gnuplot 2.0.2 that I believe this post should be of general interest.

The best way to get to know the world's ftp archive sites, as far as I am
concerned, is the following:

Telnet to "quiche.cs.mcgill.ca", log in as "archie" with no password,
then type help to get to know this neafty program.  If you want something
like gnuplot 2.0.2 in a hurry, just type prog gnuplot, you will see hundreds
archive sites scrolling pass your eyes.  I urge you learn how to use this
good program.  You can use it to find some numerical analysis programs as
well [I got to say this, otherwise I would get flamed in this n-m related
group :-) ]

Hope the info helps as I am unable to reply more then 20 mails in one day!
I am a busy SA too.

Regards,