[comp.lang.fortran] Fortran Journal contents

wsb@boise.Eng.Sun.COM (Walt Brainerd) (12/14/90)

FYI: Contents of the Nov/Dec _Fortran Journal_ include:

   A discussion of some subtle programming errors involving
   argument passing, DO variables, and function side effects.

   A discussion of OOP and how it relates to Fortran 90 by
   Jerry Wagener and Martin Smith at Amoco.

   A brief review of two books.

   An announcement of IBM's ACRITH-XC by Wolfgang Walter.

   A brief report on Gnu Fortran by James Burley (similar to
   the info posted here).
--
Walt Brainerd        Sun Microsystems, Inc.
wsb@eng.sun.com      MS MTV 5-40

jwhite@dtoa3.dt.navy.mil (White) (12/14/90)

In article <4475@exodus.Eng.Sun.COM> wsb@boise.Eng.Sun.COM (Walt Brainerd) writes:
>FYI: Contents of the Nov/Dec _Fortran Journal_ include:
[Stuff deleted]
>--
>Walt Brainerd        Sun Microsystems, Inc.
>wsb@eng.sun.com      MS MTV 5-40
>                     Mountain View, CA 94043
>                     415/336-5991

Excuse my ignorance, but where does one get a copy of this journal ?
Is it published or can it be FTPed from somewhere ?

To anyone that can answer, thank you in advance
If this is a frequently asked question, again I am sorry to bother anyone
but this is the first time I remember seeing a reference to this journal
in the 3 or 4 months that I have been reading this newsgroup.

Joe White
DTRC Code 2723, Annapolis Md not Bethesda as stated above
jwhite@dtoa3.dt.navy.mil

wsb@boise.Eng.Sun.COM (Walt Brainerd) (05/30/91)

FYI: Contents of the May/Jun _Fortran Journal_ include:

o  Announcement of the first full Fortran 90 compiler!
   (Sorry--can't say yet who it is.)

o  A detailed review of FORCHECK from Leiden Univeristy.

o  An article about how error analysis should be done
   in mathematical software by Kevin Thompson of Magus.

o  Some discussion by Jim Giles of the Fortran 77 string handling
   routines provided by Kurt Hirchert in the previous issue.

If you would like information about the _Fortran Journal_,
please send me e-mail.

Walt Brainerd              Fortran Journal
walt.brainerd@eng.sun.com  510 Outlook Drive
415/336-5991               Los Altos, CA 94024
--
Walt Brainerd               Sun Microsystems, Inc.
walt.brainerd@eng.sun.com   MS MTV 5-40

psmith@convex.com (Presley Smith) (05/30/91)

In article <14147@exodus.Eng.Sun.COM> wsb@boise.Eng.Sun.COM (Walt Brainerd) writes:
>FYI: Contents of the May/Jun _Fortran Journal_ include:
>
>o  Announcement of the first full Fortran 90 compiler!
>   (Sorry--can't say yet who it is.)

Sounds like a really interesting announcement.   I hope the announcement
explains how this full Fortran 90 compiler is going to be tested and
certified since there are no test or certification suites yet for much of
the functionality of Fortran 90.

Should be interesting.

khb@chiba.Eng.Sun.COM (Keith Bierman fpgroup) (05/30/91)

In article <1991May29.194200.14620@convex.com> psmith@convex.com (Presley Smith) writes:

   Sounds like a really interesting announcement.   I hope the announcement
   explains how this full Fortran 90 compiler is going to be tested and
   certified since there are no test or certification suites yet for much of
   the functionality of Fortran 90.

Compilers typically come out before validation suites. The early
compilers are typically employed by the suite writers.

For Fortran90, one assumes that the vendor can at least test out a
large fraction of the f77 subset of standard ;>

I am looking forward to this announcement too. I've wanted one since 1985.
Keith H. Bierman    keith.bierman@Sun.COM| khb@chiba.Eng.Sun.COM
SMI 2550 Garcia 12-33			 | (415 336 2648)
    Mountain View, CA 94043