[comp.lang.fortran] Characters in List I/O and FORTRAN standard

michael@crown.as.utexas.edu (Michael Lemke) (06/08/91)

In a more complex (;-) program I have a problem that can be reduced to the following
question:

How should the following program react according to the standard if the input is 'abc'
(including the quotes)?

	READ( 5, * ) I
	END

I'd expect it to bomb so that I can react with IOSTAT or the like. Both VAX/VMS and SUN behave
like that but on the Cray with CFT77 that seems legal. So which machine is violating the
standard?

Thanks,
Michael Lemke

Astronomy, UT Austin, TX

bill@hcx2.ssd.csd.harris.com (Bill Leonard) (06/10/91)

In article <50175@ut-emx.uucp>, michael@crown.as.utexas.edu (Michael Lemke) writes:
> How should the following program react according to the standard if the input is 'abc'
> (including the quotes)?
>
> 	READ( 5, * ) I
> 	END
>
> I'd expect it to bomb so that I can react with IOSTAT or the like. Both
> VAX/VMS and SUN behave like that but on the Cray with CFT77 that seems
> legal. So which machine is violating the standard?

Neither.  X3.9-1978 does not define what constitutes an I/O error, so you
cannot (in general) depend on all "illegal" usage resulting in an IOSTAT or
ERR= branch.

This is a "quality of implementation" issue that must be resolved between
yourself and the vendor.

--
Bill Leonard
Harris Computer Systems Division