[comp.lang.fortran] Looking for FORTRAN code for games

ss9557@leah.albany.edu (STRACK STEFAN) (06/12/91)

Hello FORTRAN enthusiasts:

I'm posting this request for a friend of mine, who is looking for
some diversion while debugging his way through pages of FORTRAN
code written by someone else :-(

Does anyone know of some *fun* FORTRAN code that's available via
anonymous FTP? By *fun* he means games, graphics demos, etc., the
definition is necesserily wide. NETLIB seems to carry only *serious*
stuff.

Please reply by email or to the net. I'll post a summary if there's
sufficient interest.

	- Stefan (ss9557@leah.albany.edu)

mac@cis.ksu.edu (Myron A. Calhoun) (06/12/91)

In <1991Jun11.215100.27732@sarah.albany.edu> ss9557@leah.albany.edu (STRACK STEFAN) writes:
>I'm posting this request for a friend of mine, who is looking for
>some diversion while debugging his way through pages of FORTRAN
>code written by someone else :-(

>Does anyone know of some *fun* FORTRAN code that's available ....

While teaching in Africa several years ago I implemented HEXAPAWN,
a (very) simplified version of CHESS (uses a 3x3 board and pawns
only!) which demonstrates a very rudimentary form of A.I. (Artful
Ignorance) in that, when the game(s) begin, the program knows ONLY
the rules for legal moves (and won't let you make illegal moves)
and makes all of its moves using random numbers.  However, each
time it loses (i.e., each time the human wins) the program "remembers"
the (losing) move it last made and never makes that move again!  Thus,
after about 13 games or so, the program wins EVERY game (except for
one little bug).

The program is pure FORTRAN but assumes ANSI screen-control sequences
are available (but that assumption is quite localized in the program).

If there is not much demand I could email it if anyone wants it, or
I could put it in our local anonymous-ftp site for a few weeks, or....
--Myron.
--
# Myron A. Calhoun, Ph.D. E.E.; Associate Professor   (913) 539-4448 home
#  INTERNET:  mac@cis.ksu.edu (129.130.10.2)                532-6350 work