[comp.lang.fortran] MS Fortran 5.1 info. wanted

knutta@lise.unit.no (Knut Alfredsen) (06/13/91)

A couple of weeks ago somebody posted an article about the new Microsoft Fortran
 5.1. I am very interested in this compiler, so I hope that someone could send
 me more information.
 I would specially like to know about the Windows 3.0 feature which is included,and if the compiler supports any of the new Fortran 90 features.

 Thanks

 -Knut

--
Knut Alfredsen                                   |  Mail  : knutta@lise.unit.no
Division of Hydraulic and Sanitary Engineering   |  Phone : +47 7 59 4749

tholen@hale.ifa.hawaii.edu (Dave Tholen) (06/14/91)

Knut Alfredsen writes:

> A couple of weeks ago somebody posted an article about the new Microsoft
> Fortran 5.1. I am very interested in this compiler, so I hope that someone
> could send me more information.
>
> I would specially like to know about the Windows 3.0 feature which is
> included, and if the compiler supports any of the new Fortran 90 features.

Both Version 5.0 and 5.1 have Fortran 90 features, such as array syntax,
CASE, DO WHILE, ALLOCATABLE arrays, and new intrinsics like VERIFY, SCAN,
and LEN_TRIM.  NAMELIST and structures are supported, and you can access
command line arguments.

Version 5.1 mainly adds the Windows support, such as the ability to add
window titles, message boxes, and custom-sized child windows.  You can
view input and output in adjacent windows, cut and paste data, scroll
through earlier output, and so on, according to their brochure.  I'm not
a Windows user, however, so I don't know how extensive the support is.

roth@oasys.dt.navy.mil (Pete Roth) (06/14/91)

In article <13459@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu> tholen@hale.ifa.hawaii.edu (Dave Tholen) writes:
>Knut Alfredsen writes:
>
>> A couple of weeks ago somebody posted an article about the new Microsoft
>> Fortran 5.1. I am very interested in this compiler, so I hope that someone
>> could send me more information.
[...]

I just got the Microsoft flyer in the mail.
The text is a little vague in the area of useful memory
available to a program. Does anyone know if you have to use
windows to get to the rest of a PC, or does this compiler
allow access to extended/expanded memory under DOS?

regards,

pete

Peter N Roth      roth@oasys.dt.navy.mil
Objects in this office are closer than they appear.