[net.movies] Ian Ogilvy as James Bond ?

jts@cornell.UUCP (05/29/85)

From: jts (Jim Sasaki)

> REVIEW OF "A VIEW TO A KILL"
> ...  Who will be the next Bond?  Pierce Brosnan, Mel Gibson, and Ian Ogilvy
> have been considered for the role, but who knows? ....
>     (Charles Johnson, ir642@sdcc6.UUCP -- UCSD academic computer center)

I'd find it amusing to have Ian Ogilvy as James Bond.  For those of you who
don't know him, he played Simon Templar in "The New Adventures of the Saint".
(He also played Tiberius's kid brother (Drusus?) in "I, Claudius".)

I've gotten used to Roger Moore as Bond, but it took me a while: when I first
saw him my gut reaction was "He's not James Bond, he's the Saint!"  Later on, I
saw Ogilvy as the Saint, and as I got used to that, I found myself accepting
Moore as Bond.  Now I hear I may have to get used to *Ogilvy* as Bond.  Sigh.

One reason I got used to Ogilvy as the Saint was that I saw one of the old
1930's Saint movies.  I forget who played him, but whoever he was, he looked an
awful lot like Ian Ogilvy.  Maybe if I found a movie where the Saint looked like
Sean Connery....

ted@usceast.UUCP (Ted Nolan) (05/31/85)

In article <2055@cornell.UUCP> jts@cornell.UUCP writes:
>From: jts (Jim Sasaki)
>
>> REVIEW OF "A VIEW TO A KILL"
>> ...  Who will be the next Bond?  Pierce Brosnan, Mel Gibson, and Ian Ogilvy
>> have been considered for the role, but who knows? ....
>>     (Charles Johnson, ir642@sdcc6.UUCP -- UCSD academic computer center)
>
>I'd find it amusing to have Ian Ogilvy as James Bond.  For those of you who
>don't know him, he played Simon Templar in "The New Adventures of the Saint".
>(He also played Tiberius's kid brother (Drusus?) in "I, Claudius".)

What we really need are some faithful to the book(s) Saint movies.
Charteris' great character has always been too sanitized in the tv versions.
(I mean, the Saint was a real criminal who never hesitated to kill the
"ungodly"when necessary).  Done right (which includes doing them as period
pieces) I think they could really take off.

			Ted Nolan ..usceast!ted
Ted Nolan                   ...decvax!mcnc!ncsu!ncrcae!usceast!ted  (UUCP)
6536 Brookside Circle       ...akgua!usceast!ted
Columbia, SC 29206          allegra!usceast!ted@seismo (ARPA, maybe)

      ("Deep space is my dwelling place, the stars my destination")