[net.movies] L-O-L-A Lola

nax@cornell.UUCP (05/10/85)

From: nax (Nax-Paul)

>	      I wouldn't say the characters are similar. Lola was not
>       a woman. The Blue Angel was.

Are you *sure* Lola was not a woman? The song ends:

	"I'm glad I'm a man and so is Lola."

So they're *both* glad the singer is a man -- but what's Lola's gender?

				nax@cornell

kimery@wdl1.UUCP (Sam Kimery) (05/14/85)

> From: nax (Nax-Paul)

are  you *sure* Lola was not a woman? The song ends:

> 	"I'm glad I'm a man and so is Lola."
>
> So they're *both* glad the singer is a man -- but what's Lola's gender?
>
> 				nax@cornell

he walked like a woman and talked like a man ............

Lola was NOT a woman, at least not at birth.

				Sam

showard@udenva.UUCP (showard) (05/20/85)

> > From: nax (Nax-Paul)
> are  you *sure* Lola was not a woman? The song ends:
> >
> > 	"I'm glad I'm a man and so is Lola."
> >
> > So they're *both* glad the singer is a man -- but what's Lola's gender?
> >
> > 				nax@cornell
>
> he walked like a woman and talked like a man ............
>
> Lola was NOT a woman, at least not at birth.
>
> 				Sam
   Lola was a woman.  The song opens:
           "I met her in a club down in old Soho . . ."
     later: "I asked her her name and in a dark brown voice she said Lola"
       and so on, using female pronouns throughout.  The line that Sam
quotes should be  "Now I'm not dumb but I can't understand
                   How she walked like a woman and talked like a man."

       I think.

   --Mr. Blore, the DJ who would not die, aka Steve Howard
   . . . udenva!showard

  "And celluloid heroes never really die"

sunny@sun.uucp (Ms. Sunny Kirsten) (05/23/85)

> > > From: nax (Nax-Paul)
> > are  you *sure* Lola was not a woman? The song ends:
> > >
> > > 	"I'm glad I'm a man and so is Lola."
> > >
> > > So they're *both* glad the singer is a man -- but what's Lola's gender?

Her gender is "feminine"
Her sex    is "male"
She's a (probably transgendered) transvestite.

> > Lola was NOT a woman, at least not at birth.
> >
> > 				Sam

		I think Sam is calling it right.

A similar song is Lou Reed's "Take a Walk on the Wild Side"

				Sunny
--
{ucbvax,decvax,ihnp4}!sun!sunny (Ms. Sunny Kirsten)

edward@ukma.UUCP (Edward C. Bennett) (05/23/85)

In article <674@udenva.UUCP>, showard@udenva.UUCP (showard) writes:
> > > From: nax (Nax-Paul)
> > are  you *sure* Lola was not a woman? The song ends:
> > > 	"I'm glad I'm a man and so is Lola."
> > > So they're *both* glad the singer is a man -- but what's Lola's gender?
> > > 				nax@cornell
> > he walked like a woman and talked like a man ............
> > Lola was NOT a woman, at least not at birth.
> > 				Sam
>    Lola was a woman.  The song opens:
>            "I met her in a club down in old Soho . . ."
>      later: "I asked her her name and in a dark brown voice she said Lola"
>        and so on, using female pronouns throughout.  The line that Sam
> quotes should be  "Now I'm not dumb but I can't understand
>                    How she walked like a woman and talked like a man."
>        I think.
>    --Mr. Blore, the DJ who would not die, aka Steve Howard
>    . . . udenva!showard

	Lola was a transvestite folks.

--
edward

		 {ucbvax,unmvax,boulder,research}!anlams! -|
			{mcvax!qtlon,vax135,mddc}!qusavx! -|-->	ukma!edward

		{decvax,ihnp4,mhuxt,seismo}! -+-> cbosgd! -|
		{clyde,osu-eddie,ulysses}! ---|

	"Well, what's on the television then?"
	"Looks like a penguin."

	()

        |--		Support barrier free design
       /|---
      |     \  _
       \___/ \=

rdz@ccice5.UUCP (Robert D. Zarcone) (05/24/85)

>    Lola was a woman.  The song opens:
>            "I met her in a club down in old Soho . . ."
>      later: "I asked her her name and in a dark brown voice she said Lola"
>        and so on, using female pronouns throughout.  The line that Sam
> quotes should be  "Now I'm not dumb but I can't understand
>                    How she walked like a woman and talked like a man."
>
>        I think.

Disagree!  Lola is a transvestite.  At least all of us who were "in the
know" in the 60s thought so.  I say that the line "glad I'm a man, so is
Lola" doesn't mean Lola is "glad" that the singer is a man, but that Lola
is a man.  Anyone want to call Ray Davies to get the real story?

sbt@cbosgd.UUCP (Shirley B. Tobias) (05/24/85)

In article <1634@cornell.UUCP>, nax@cornell.UUCP writes:

> Are you *sure* Lola was not a woman? The song ends:
>
> 	"I'm glad I'm a man and so is Lola."
>
> So they're *both* glad the singer is a man -- but what's Lola's gender?

i've just gotten around to catching up on net.movies and can't quite
understand why this discussion is located here, but i'll throw in my
two cents.  the above line can be taken two ways:

	--they're both glad the singer is a man.
	--the singer is glad he's a man and he's glad _lola_ is a man, too.

so there.  more discussion is probably unwarrented--of course the song is
meant to be ambiguous.  davies did his job well.

lizv@tektools.UUCP (Liz Vaughan) (05/24/85)

>> are  you *sure* Lola was not a woman? The song ends:
>> >
>> > 	"I'm glad I'm a man and so is Lola."
>> >
>> > So they're *both* glad the singer is a man -- but what's Lola's gender?
>> >
>> > 				nax@cornell
>>
>> he walked like a woman and talked like a man ............
>>
>> Lola was NOT a woman, at least not at birth.
>>
>> 				Sam
>   Lola was a woman.  The song opens:
>           "I met her in a club down in old Soho . . ."
>     later: "I asked her her name and in a dark brown voice she said Lola"
>       and so on, using female pronouns throughout.  The line that Sam
>quotes should be  "Now I'm not dumb but I can't understand
>                   How she walked like a woman and talked like a man."
>
>       I think.

NO NO NO NO-La!!!

He uses female pronouns all through the song because he THINKS (s)he's a
woman.

The line at the end is something like:

	Well, I'm not the world's most passionate man,
	but I know what I am, what I am is a man
	and so is Lola (L-O-L-A) Lola.....

The part about walking like a woman is fairly early in the song.

P.S. Celluloid heroes aside, what's this doing on net.movies?

Liz Vaughan
tektronix!tektools!lizv

sunny@sun.uucp (Ms. Sunny Kirsten) (05/25/85)

> >    Lola was a woman.  The song opens:
> >            "I met her in a club down in old Soho . . ."
> >      later: "I asked her her name and in a dark brown voice she said Lola"
> >        and so on, using female pronouns throughout.  The line that Sam
> > quotes should be  "Now I'm not dumb but I can't understand
> >                    How she walked like a woman and talked like a man."
> >
> >        I think.
> >

> Disagree!  Lola is a transvestite.  At least all of us who were "in the
> know" in the 60s thought so.  I say that the line "glad I'm a man, so is
> Lola" doesn't mean Lola is "glad" that the singer is a man, but that Lola
> is a man.  Anyone want to call Ray Davies to get the real story?

You don't need to go that far... The Kinks have done quite a few songs about
transvestites, and this is only one of them.  i.e. it's a theme with them.
--
{ucbvax,decvax,ihnp4}!sun!sunny (Ms. Sunny Kirsten)

dar@telesoft.UUCP (David Reisner @shine) (05/30/85)

It looks like this is in danger of being beaten to death, and I don't
understand why it is in net.movies anyway, but...

To the extent that memory serves...

I met her in a club down in old Soho
Where they drink champagne and it tastes just like CocaCola (or cherry cola)
.
.
.
I pushed her away
I walked to the door
I fell to the floor
I got down on my knees
And I looked at her and she at me

And that's the way I always want it to stay
And I always want it to be that way for my Lola

Well I'm not the worlds most passionate man
But I know what I am, I'm a man, I'm a man and so's Lola

The basic story of the song is
	Guy meets somewhat agressive, strong girl who talks like a man in bar.
	Guy and girl go back to her room where, in the process of 'making love',
	  guy finds out that 'girl' is actually a male.
	Guy is upset and confused, and starts to leave.  He stops in
	  confusion, because he is very turned on by this 'girl'.
	Guy decides to go with the 'turned on' and not worry about the
	  boy/girl distinction.

I promise.

-David
sdcsvax!telesoft!dar

allynh@ucbvax.ARPA (Allyn Hardyck) (05/31/85)

As I recall, the original discussion was about the similarity in plot between
Josef von Sternberg's "The Blue Angel" and Rainer Werner Fassbinder's "Lola".
I haven't seen "The Blue Angel," but from what I've heard of it (stuffy local
official falls for prostitute), it sounds a lot like Lola.

Lola the movie has nothing whatsoever to do with Lola the song.  Just for
those of you who were wondering about this discussion which clearly belongs
in net.music.

srt@ucla-cs.UUCP (05/31/85)

In article <2208@sun.uucp> sunny@sun.uucp (Ms. Sunny Kirsten) writes:
>> > are  you *sure* Lola was not a woman? The song ends:

>Her gender is "feminine" ...

All right.  Enough of this bullshit:

Ray Davies has been interviewed on this point HUNDREDS of times.
The song is purposely ambigious, and was intentionally written
that way.

Now, can we get on with net.movies style discussions and restrain this sort
of thing to net.inane?

    Scott R. Turner
    ARPA:  (now) srt@UCLA-LOCUS.ARPA  (soon) srt@LOCUS.UCLA.EDU
    UUCP:  ...!{cepu,ihnp4,trwspp,ucbvax}!ucla-cs!srt
    SPUDNET: ...eye%srt@russet.spud