Date:     Mon, 24 Jun 91 15:09 EST
From: <MONIOT%FORDMULC.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject:  Forchek and netlib and USENET
To: beumer@sunspot.nosc.mil

> Several people indicated on postings to USENET in comp.lang.fortran
>that netlib@research.att.com was THE place to get FORCHEK.

It appears that netlib@research.att.com is supposed to be a mirror-image
of netlib@ornl.gov, but evidently the latter is copied over to the former
only at somewhat long intervals.  For instance, this spring, Forchek was
upgraded to Version 2.2 and moved from misc to a newly formed section
called fortran in netlib@ornl.gov, but none of these changes have shown
up at netlib@research.att.com.  I will have to send a memo to Jack
Dongarra and/or Eric Grosse.  I think I'll wait till Version 2.3 goes
out, since it is practically ready.

In any case, till the question of synchronization is resolved,
netlib@ornl.gov always has the latest version.

>You might want to ask the
>question on USENET in comp.lang.fortran. There has been quite a discussion
>going on about FORCHEK and other FORTRAN lint like tools recently. Your name
>has been mentioned repeatedly by others in the news group but I have never
>seen you post to it.

I suspected something like this was going on.  I am on Bitnet, and I do
not have access to an Internet site with news.  Is there any way
interesting things can be forwarded to me from there?  Is there a way I
can post to it by email?  Till then, you might forward this message to
comp.lang.fortran for me.

>       There is a screaming need for a tool like FORCHEK to help people using
>SunFortran on Sun Microsystems computers. SunFortran has neither a table
>generator nor a cross reference table generator and is basically a lousy
>language to work in.  And everybody appears to be buying Suns. Has anyone ever
>suggested or is anyone working on tweaking FORCHEK to support Suns?

Please realize that this is a shoestring operation.  Forchek began life
as a project for a couple of bright seniors.  At the moment I don't have
a student working for me (though one is nibbling at the hook), so the
only thing that gets done is maintenance.  I put in some of my own time
last month adding a few most-requested items to Forchek, but anything
that will require much work has to wait.

Thanks for your comments and suggestions.

Regards,

Bob Moniot
Fordham University
College at Lincoln Center