[comp.lang.fortran] meshing UNIX file descriptors and FORTRAN logical units

pefv700@perv.pe.utexas.edu (06/30/91)

Does anyone know how to determine the file descriptor (useful for system
calls) that matches a FORTRAN logical unit under UNIX?

Thanks,

Chris

morreale@bierstadt.scd.ucar.edu (Peter W. Morreale) (06/30/91)

In article <51446@ut-emx.uucp> pefv700@perv.pe.utexas.edu writes:

>Does anyone know how to determine the file descriptor (useful for system
>calls) that matches a FORTRAN logical unit under UNIX?

  I think you will find that this is a vendor specific problem.
  I needed to do this with UNICOS 5.1.11, semi-quoting from a Crayon:

     "It's d*mm near impossible."

  The reason being (at least on UNICOS) that the file descriptor is an
  array index pointing to a structure within the kernal.  (ie: There is isn't
  a straight-forward mapping between Fortran Unit numbers and system
  file descriptrors.....)

-PWM

Peter W. Morreale                  email:  morreale@ncar.ucar.edu
Nat'l Center for Atmos Research    voice:  (303) 497-1293
Scientific Computing Division