[comp.lang.prolog] OK, so what Prolog is good?

steve@thumper.UUCP (03/08/87)

Earlier I asked the group what they thought of Turbo Prolog.  Most
of you don't seem to like it.  I'd like to buy the least expensive
Prolog that is a Real Prolog for my IBM PC (boy, is that a fuzzy
set, or what?).  Suggestions would be very useful.

Thanks.
--

		-Steve Miller    ihnp4!bellcore!thumper!steve

"The Fantasy Factory" is a trademark of Image Space, a New Jersey corporation.

randyg@iscuva.UUCP (03/09/87)

In article <473@thumper.UUCP> steve@thumper.UUCP writes:
>Earlier I asked the group what they thought of Turbo Prolog.  Most
>of you don't seem to like it.  I'd like to buy the least expensive
>Prolog that is a Real Prolog for my IBM PC (boy, is that a fuzzy
>set, or what?).  Suggestions would be very useful.
>
>Thanks.
>--
>
>		-Steve Miller    ihnp4!bellcore!thumper!steve

I have used both Turbo and Arity Prolog, and frankly, I prefer Arity.

Type checking really isn't a problem. Since true orthogonal polymorphism isn't
present in EITHER implementation, you have to do it anyways. Turbo requires it
at compiletime, whereas you have to use a separate Alint program to detect
type mismatches in Arity. This is handy if you are trying to debug a program
that may have bugs in areas you DON'T want to fix immediately(Turbo always
stops at each error for confirmation).

The true usefulness of Arity is due to its 1 Gigabyte virtual memory, and
built in b-tree, hashing and linked list predicates. Even if you don't need
the power of a full Edinburgh prolog(which Arity is, and more!), Its probably
the cheapest (and most powerful) royalty free database you can incorporate
into a PC program.

Turbo is good if you are doing small stuff, and don't have any need for meta-
circular programming( which almost always means non AI work ), but if you
have never experienced the freedom and creativity of a true edinburgh prolog,
you are missing one of the great joys in life. Turbo is a dull, difficult
slogging language by comparison. (Borland's stuff really hums, tho ... its
several times as fast as Arity).

                                      Randy Gordon     "Tao kou tse fun pee"

trent@cit-vax.UUCP (03/11/87)

In article <473@thumper.UUCP> steve@thumper.UUCP writes:
>Earlier I asked the group what they thought of Turbo Prolog.  Most
>of you don't seem to like it.  I'd like to buy the least expensive
>Prolog that is a Real Prolog for my IBM PC (boy, is that a fuzzy
>set, or what?).  Suggestions would be very useful.

Has anyone out there heard of/used a thing called "Wisdom Prolog".
(it's mentioned in the back of "The Art of Prolog" by Sterling &
Shapiro. It's put out by MIT Press, or so I gather)

It's about $100 for PC versions. (IBM/Mac/Amiga) They also mention
VMS and Unix versions.

Any comments on it?

BTW, I'm not affiliated with anybody, so...

--
"Party until it hurts; then, party 'til it don't hurt no more."
					../ray\..

devinney@sunybcs.UUCP (03/11/87)

In article <473@iscuva.UUCP> randyg@iscuva.UUCP (Randy Gordon) writes:

>In article <473@thumper.UUCP> steve@thumper.UUCP writes:
>>Earlier I asked the group what they thought of Turbo Prolog.  Most
>>of you don't seem to like it.  I'd like to buy the least expensive

>I have used both Turbo and Arity Prolog, and frankly, I prefer Arity.
>

>The true usefulness of Arity is due to its 1 Gigabyte virtual memory, and
>built in b-tree, hashing and linked list predicates. Even if you don't need
>the power of a full Edinburgh prolog(which Arity is, and more!), Its probably
>the cheapest (and most powerful) royalty free database you can incorporate
>into a PC program.

And you can start with the basic Arity Interpreter (I think as
cheap as turbo) and add other things in the ARITY package
if/when you need them:
         Interpreter/Compiler
         Screen Design Predicates
         File Transfer Package
         SQL (Structured Query Language)
         Expert Systems Development Pkg

I have found particularly that SQL and Screen Design
Predicates make data base applications a snap.

Disclaimer: No affiliation with ARITY except as a satisfied
   user of PROLOG.

--
UUCP   : {cmcl2,hao,harpo}!seismo!rochester!rocksvax!sunybcs!devinney  |
         ...{allegra,decvax,watmath}!sunybcs!devinney                  |

todd@uhccux.UUCP (The Perplexed Wiz) (03/16/87)

In article <2578@sunybcs.UUCP> devinney@gort.UUCP (George DeVinney) writes:
>And you can start with the basic Arity Interpreter (I think as
>cheap as turbo) and add other things in the ARITY package
>if/when you need them:

The list price for the Arity Prolog Interpreter (API) is around $400.
However, Arity Corp. gives very deep and generous discounts to
educational institutions.  If you are part of a university, give Arity
a call and talk to them about their discount program before buying.
They also have a $100 scaled down version of API for "students."  I have
not seen this student version....todd

--
Todd Ogasawara, U. of Hawaii Computing Center
UUCP:		{ihnp4,seismo,ucbvax,dcdwest}!sdcsvax!nosc!uhccux!todd

devinney@sunybcs.UUCP (George DeVinney) (03/17/87)

In article <382@uhccux.UUCP> todd@uhccux.UUCP (The Perplexed Wiz) writes:
>In article <2578@sunybcs.UUCP> devinney@gort.UUCP (George DeVinney) writes:
>>And you can start with the basic Arity Interpreter (I think as
>>cheap as turbo) and add other things in the ARITY package
>>if/when you need them:
>
>The list price for the Arity Prolog Interpreter (API) is
around $400.

  $350 from ARITY but I've seen it for $309 from mail order
houses. (Check AI Expert Mag).

>not seen this student version....todd

ARITY sells what they call 'Standard Prolog' for $95 - $79
from mail order. I have not seen it either but the info
with the full interpreter looks like it (standard) has most of the
Clocksin/Mellish predicates - at least it has the ones
for manipulating clauses (arg, functor, clause) which
are needed for serious symbolic manipulations. I believe
TURBO does not have these. (And ARITY has no typing
requirements).

I don't think you need to be a
student to buy it but it seems aimed at someone who wants to
learn PROLOG before deciding if they want to invest more. I
don't imagine you can distribute applications you develop
with the standard or interpreter only since it would need
the interpreter to run.

ARITY has a BBS at: 617-369-5622 for ordering, questions or
to try an on-line PROLOG demo.
They can be called voice at  617-371-1243.

Opinion: If you're interested in learning REAL PROLOG and
 having a lot of utility at your disposal by spending a few
 bucks more later, go with ARITY.

Disclaimer: No affiliation with anybody except myself. I
  wish that were not true as I will be graduating soon.