[comp.lang.prolog] MU-Prolog

maner@bgsuvax.UUCP (09/11/87)

Could anyone compare MU-Prolog with Quintus (or CProlog) for me?  I don't
need a diff on the respective feature lists.  What I need is something
like "I've used X and Y and I prefer ___ because ___."  Hidden motive:
We could stretch our budget to buy Quintus, but if MU-Prolog (or CProlog)
will be adequate for research and instruction, we could spend the dollars
elsewhere.

Walt

--
CSNet   : maner@research1.bgsu.edu               | CS Dept    419/372-2337
UUCP    : {cbatt,cbosgd}!osu-cis!bgsuvax!maner   | BGSU

lee@mulga.oz (Lee Naish) (09/16/87)

In article <1285@bgsuvax.UUCP> maner@bgsuvax.UUCP (Walter Maner) writes:
>Could anyone compare MU-Prolog with Quintus (or CProlog) for me?  I don't
>need a diff on the respective feature lists.  What I need is something
>like "I've used X and Y and I prefer ___ because ___."  Hidden motive:
>We could stretch our budget to buy Quintus, but if MU-Prolog (or CProlog)
>will be adequate for research and instruction, we could spend the dollars
>elsewhere.

MU-Prolog is still being distributed by I recommend its successor,
NU-Prolog, which is a compiler based system and has many more features.

For most research I would recommend a compiler system.
For teaching the descision is not so clear cut.  If you have lots of
students in relation to machine cycles/memory and the projects you
are setting are small then an interpreter is probably desirable.

To choose between different compiler/interpreter systems you should
compare features and cost.  The thrust of our work at Melbourne Uni
on MU/NU-Prolog has been making the language closer to the ideals of
logic programming and having a good database facility.

	Lee Naish

sundar@mipos3.UUCP (09/16/87)

In article <1285@bgsuvax.UUCP> maner@bgsuvax.UUCP (Walter Maner) writes:
>Could anyone compare MU-Prolog with Quintus (or CProlog) for me?  I don't
>need a diff on the respective feature lists.  What I need is something
>like "I've used X and Y and I prefer ___ because ___."  Hidden motive:
>We could stretch our budget to buy Quintus, but if MU-Prolog (or CProlog)
>will be adequate for research and instruction, we could spend the dollars
>elsewhere.

I have used both Cprolog and Quintus extensively on the Apollo Domain
systems.  I find that Cprolog is adequate for routine PROLOG programming.
Since the source code is available,  you have a way to implement unusual
features by adding extra code.

Quintus has two advantages (it may have others, but I find these
most useful): a compilation facility and a foreign function interface.
Once your programs are stable, the run time can be increased by merely
compiling them.  The foreign function interface comes in handy when
you have to use other languages for various reasons (example:
building a graphical editor using a graphics library on your
machine in C).  Quintus also comes with an extensive on line help
facility which I found helpful once in a while.

I don't know the cost of Quintus but Cprolog is available for free
if you are with an educational institution.

sundar
Sundar Iyengar                      Microprocessor Design

UUCP:  intelca!mipos3!sundar        Intel, SC4-59
ARPA:  sundar@mipos3.intel.com      2625, Walsh Avenue
CSNET: sundar@mipos3.intel.com      Santa Clara, CA 95051
AT&T:  H: (415) 948-1885            O: (408) 496-2494

lee@mulga.oz (Lee Naish) (09/19/87)

In article <1026@mipos3.intel.com> sundar@mipos3.UUCP (Sundar R. Iyengar ~) writes:
>In article <1285@bgsuvax.UUCP> maner@bgsuvax.UUCP (Walter Maner) writes:
>>Could anyone compare MU-Prolog with Quintus (or CProlog) for me?  I don't
>
>Quintus has two advantages (it may have others, but I find these
>most useful): a compilation facility and a foreign function interface.

MU-Prolog and (some versions of) CProlog also have foreign function
interfaces (though not quite as easy to use).

	Lee Naish