Date: 16 Sep 87 02:05:55 GMT
From: duke!gleicher@mcnc.org  (Michael Gleicher)
Subject: C & Goal Stacking

Can anyone provide me with any references about either of the
following:

1. Programs that compile Prolog into C or some other high level procedural
        langauge

2. Goal Stacking architectures. (Warren mentions them briefly in the
   "Abstract Prolog Machine" paper)

Please reply to the Digest.

Thank you.

-- Michael Lee Gleicher

------------------------------

Date: 16 Sep 87 03:45:17 GMT
From: Lee Naish <uunet!munnari!mulga!lee@seismo.css.gov>
Subject: MU-Prolog

MU-Prolog is still being distributed by I recommend its successor,
NU-Prolog, which is a compiler based system and has many more
features.

For most research I would recommend a compiler system.  For teaching
the descision is not so clear cut.  If you have lots of students in
relation to machine cycles/memory and the projects you are setting are
small then an interpreter is probably desirable.

To choose between different compiler/interpreter systems you should
compare features and cost.  The thrust of our work at Melbourne Uni on
MU/NU-Prolog has been making the language closer to the ideals of
logic programming and having a good database facility.

-- Lee Naish

------------------------------

Date: 16 Sep 87 15:16:50 GMT
From: Sundar Iyengar <oliveb!intelca!mipos3!sundar@ames.arpa>

I have used both CProlog and Quintus extensively on the Apollo Domain
systems.  I find that CProlog is adequate for routine Prolog
programming.  Since the source code is available, you have a way to
implement unusual features by adding extra code.

Quintus has two advantages (it may have others, but I find these most
useful): a compilation facility and a foreign function interface.
Once your programs are stable, the run time can be increased by merely
compiling them.  The foreign function interface comes in handy when
you have to use other languages for various reasons (example:
building a graphical editor using a graphics library on your machine
in C).  Quintus also comes with an extensive on line help facility
which I found helpful once in a while.

-- Sundar

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 13 Sep 87 22:38:09 PDT
From: Edouard Lagache <lagache@violet.Berkeley.EDU>
Subject: Supplemental Predicate Library

I am sending a series or programs called "The PROLOG Supplemental
Predicate Libraries".  People may freely distribute the libraries if
they distribute the package in its complete and unmodified form
including copyright and author credits.  I am afraid that asking
people to pick up 10 files might be esentially hopeless, but it would
be better on all concerned if the libraries would be kept as a unit
(particularly for bug fixes).

The names of the files you will be receiving are:

                   ANSI_IO.PRO
                   ENV_FUNT.PRO
                   LD_LIB
                   LIST_SYM.PRO
                   PRO_LIB.DOC
                   READ.ME
                   STDDEF.PRO
                   STDIO.PRO
                   STDLIST.PRO
                   WINDOW.PRO

Let me know if there are any problems with dispensing this
package, and of course if you have any questions or comments
concerning the predicates themselves.

Thank you very much for your help!

-- Edouard Lagache
   School of Education
   U.C. Berkeley
   lagache@violet.berkeley.edu

Abstract: This is a set of libraries of Prolog predicates that
can be useful in a wide range of applications.  This set includes
the following libraries: ANSI standard terminal manipulation,
Prolog environment functions, arithmetic and matching functions,
generic input/output functions, list manipulation functions, and
window device support.

Source code is in "Core" Prolog with occasional alternative solutions
for Automata Design Associates VML Prolog.  Some code is specific to
microcomputers or VML PROLOG, but the bulk of the 50 Kilobytes of code
is general purpose.  46 pages of documentation is also provided.

[ These files will be posted one per issue for the next ten issues.
  My apologies to those who are bothered by this redistribution
  scheme. -ed ]

End of PROLOG Digest