[comp.lang.prolog] SBprolog installation problems

dlee@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Dik Lee) (10/25/87)

I am trying to install SBprolog Version 2.2 on a Pyramid 98x
running 4.3 BSD UNIX. INSTALL seemed to encounter problems when
compiling sbp/sim/parse_oprnd.c, and running sbprolog produced a bus
error and core dump. The following is the messages
produced by INSTALL. Did anyone see this problem before and have a
solution for it?

Making simulator ...
cc  -c dispatch.c
cc  -c init.c
cc -c float.c
cc  -c io.c
cc  -c sub_inst.c
cc  -c loader.c
cc  -c main.c
cc  -c parse_oprnd.c
"parse_oprnd.c", line 44: warning: Pointer casted to an illegal type
"parse_oprnd.c", line 45: warning: Pointer casted to an illegal type
"parse_oprnd.c", line 51: warning: Pointer casted to an illegal type
"parse_oprnd.c", line 57: warning: Pointer casted to an illegal type
"parse_oprnd.c", line 63: warning: Pointer casted to an illegal type
"parse_oprnd.c", line 86: warning: Pointer casted to an illegal type
"parse_oprnd.c", line 92: warning: Pointer casted to an illegal type
"parse_oprnd.c", line 105: warning: Pointer casted to an illegal type
"parse_oprnd.c", line 116: warning: Pointer casted to an illegal type
"parse_oprnd.c", line 117: warning: Pointer casted to an illegal type
"parse_oprnd.c", line 118: warning: Pointer casted to an illegal type
cc  -c dis.c
cc  -c print_inst.c
cc  -c unify.c
cc  -c load_work.c
cc  -c aux.c
cc -o sbprolog dispatch.o init.o float.o io.o sub_inst.o loader.o main.o parse_oprnd.o dis.o print_inst.o unify.o load_work.o aux.o builtin/builtin
Done!

- Dik
--
Dept. Computer and Information Science	dlee@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu
The Ohio State University		..!cbosgd!tut.cis.ohio-state!dlee

debray@arizona.edu (Saumya Debray) (10/26/87)

In article <680@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu>, dlee@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Dik Lee) writes:
> I am trying to install SBprolog Version 2.2 on a Pyramid 98x
> running 4.3 BSD UNIX. INSTALL seemed to encounter problems when
> compiling sbp/sim/parse_oprnd.c, and running sbprolog produced a bus
> error and core dump.

SB-Prolog grew up in a Sun-{2,3}/Vax environment, and assumes that it's
enough for longwords (in the WAM byte code) to be word-aligned (i.e. have
even addresses).  Some machines require that longwords be longword-aligned,
i.e. have addresses divisible by 4: SBProlog won't port very easily to these.
My understanding is that the Pyramid-90x and the Sun-4 are such machines.
Sorry.
--
Saumya Debray		CS Department, University of Arizona, Tucson

     internet:   debray@arizona.edu
     uucp:       {allegra, cmcl2, ihnp4} !arizona!debray