[comp.lang.prolog] WISDOM prolog

kam@druhi.ATT.COM (MorrisseyKA) (01/21/88)

Does anyone out there have WISDOM prolog, the one listed in the back of
"The Art of Prolog"?  I have the IBM PC version 2.00B.  I ordered it
fall '86, it arrived summer of '87 after two broken promises of
availability, and now that I have finally started using it I am
disapointed.

It is poorly documented, the manual is poor and sadly out of date
compared to the software.  It crashes when running a compiler I had
written under C-Prolog.  It doesn't even handle tail recursion.

Anyone else out there have any other experiences?

daveh@phred.UUCP (Dave Hampton) (01/26/88)

In article <2601@druhi.ATT.COM> kam@druhi.ATT.COM (MorrisseyKA) writes:
>Does anyone out there have WISDOM prolog, the one listed in the back of
>"The Art of Prolog"?

  After a year and a half of monthly phone calls to MIT Press,
I finally got a copy of Wisdom Prolog 3 months ago, and it is
pretty sad.  The documentation and editing capabilities are non-
existant, and I, too, have run into a number of crashes.

  I also got the disk which contains the programming examples
from the book.  It arrived a year before the language disk (and
was billed a year before the language disk, even though it
couldn't be run...).  Every example was copied (accurately, I must
admit), even the ones which don't run under Prolog (Programs 3.1,
3.2, and 3.3, for example).

  Overall, a very disappointing purchase.  Back to Turbo Prolog,
I guess..:-)...

Dave Hampton