[comp.lang.prolog] ProWindows

jason@expya.UUCP (Jason Trenouth) (01/27/88)

Has anyone out there got their hands on ProWindows. This probably
isn't the right news group for any discussion on it, but I'm new
to sending news around the globe - so no flames ;-)

ProWindows is a window/graphics package that interfaces Quintus Prolog
to a Sun workstation's wimp environment in a better way than through
the foreign function channel. It gives the average Prolog programmer,
whose generally not interested in C, an object orientated graphics extension
that's easy(ish) to use. It was born out of an ESPRIT project, but now
Quintus and ICL hold the copyright.

So, why am I posting this?

Has anyone out there been using it at all?
What bugs have you found?
Etc

I have the 1.0Beta version on trial, and its impressive. However,
I have discovered this liiittle bug with "text_block" ... :-}

		Mail Addresses

	DUMB MAILERS: ..!mcvax!ukc!expya!jason

	CLEVER MAILERS: jason@expya.uucp

DUMB QUOTE/FORTUNE MESSAGE: Help I'm trapped inside a mail system...
|___________________________________________________________________|

anjo@swivax.UUCP (Anjo Anjewierden) (02/01/88)

> It [ProWindows] was born out of an ESPRIT project, but now
> Quintus and ICL hold the copyright.

ProWindows is the Quintus name for PCE, a system developed at the
University of Amsterdam and ported to the Sun and further developed
under ESPRIT Project 1098.  ICL, a subsidary of STC which is one of the
ESPRIT partners, only has a licensing agreement with Quintus to the
best of my knowledge.  We, these days, say that PCE is the intellectual
property of the University of Amsterdam.  The legal matter of the
outcomes of ESPRIT Projects is unclear.

> Has anyone out there been using it at all?

We are using and further developing it more or less continuously.

> I have discovered this liiittle bug with "text_block" ... :-}

It is not helpful if you don't specify what bug you have got.
I can't really help here, we don't have ProWindows, Quintus is
probably the right channel for bugs inside the system.

							Anjo.

P.S. I consider extensions like PCE to plain Prolog
     a topic for this conference, so it should probably go here.

dz@quintus.UUCP (David Znidarsic) (02/02/88)

ProWINDOWS is a supported Quintus product.  Any bugs and/or suggestions
regarding it should be reported to:

Technical Support Department
Quintus Computer Systems, Inc.
1310 Villa Street
Mountain View, California  94041
USA

Phone	: (415) 965-7700
FAX	: (415) 965-0551
ARPANET	: quintus!hotline@SUN.COM
UUCP	: hotline@quintus.uucp
	  ...!sun!quintus!hotline
TELEX	: 9103805744

ed298-ak@violet.berkeley.edu (Edouard Lagache;;;6310183;GY24) (02/05/88)

In article <616@prism.quintus.UUCP> dz@quintus.UUCP (David Znidarsic) writes:

>ProWINDOWS is a supported Quintus product.

	Well I am glad that Quintus supports ProWINDOWS.  Is it asking
	too much to inquire as to the nature of this system?  After all
	some people are too poor to buy your product!

						Edouard Lagache

yorick@kbsc.UUCP (Yorick Phoenix) (02/08/88)

In article <335@expya.UUCP> jason@expya.UUCP (Jason Trenouth) writes:

>Has anyone out there got their hands on ProWindows. This probably
>isn't the right news group for any discussion on it, but I'm new
>to sending news around the globe - so no flames ;-)

I'm not sure it's the right group either, but until somebody complains I think
it's a good start.

>ProWindows is a window/graphics package that interfaces Quintus Prolog
>to a Sun workstation's wimp environment in a better way than through
>the foreign function channel. It gives the average Prolog programmer,
>whose generally not interested in C, an object orientated graphics extension
>that's easy(ish) to use. It was born out of an ESPRIT project, but now
>Quintus and ICL hold the copyright.

I am working in the ESPRIT project (P1098 for your information) that it was
born out of.  Within the project the software is known as PCE and there has
been papers published by the main author Anjo Anjewierden of the University of
Amsterdam.  References for these papers can be published if you are
interested.

>Has anyone out there been using it at all?
>What bugs have you found?
>Etc

I have been using PCE 1.x, 2.x and soon will be using 3.x.  ProWindows from
what I can make out is based around PCE 1.x so what I say may not match what
you see.  I have yet to see what Quintus have done to PCE 1.0 to make
ProWindows but I am attending the talk at AIL on March 16th at which point I
guess I will find out.

>I have the 1.0Beta version on trial, and its impressive. However,
>I have discovered this liiittle bug with "text_block" ... :-}

As it happens I was the Author of the text_block class and early versions did
in fact have lots of bugs in them.  In fact I didn't even know that the
text_block class was included in PCE 1.x.  I expect if you report it Quintus
will/should fix it.  The version that I have in PCE 2.2 works fine.

	Yorick
--
        +--------------------------+ The Knowledge-Based Systems Center

yorick@SouthBank.UUCP (Yorick Phoenix) (02/10/88)

In article <901@kbsc.UUCP> yorick@kbsc.UUCP (Yorick Phoenix) writes:
>I have been using PCE 1.x, 2.x and soon will be using 3.x.  ProWindows from
>what I can make out is based around PCE 1.x so what I say may not match what
>you see.

Well, silly me, it is infact based on PCE 2.0.  So I can relate to it quite
well as I'm using PCE 2.2 at the moment.

	Yorick