[comp.lang.prolog] Prolog implementations in Lisp

mohan@hplabsb.UUCP (Joseph Mohan) (03/19/88)

> information on implementations of PROLOG in Lisp.  Any pointers

HP-Prolog is implemented in Common Lisp.  It really is two languages:
Q-Prolog, which is close to C-Prolog, and Z-Prolog, which is a
Lisp-ish dialect and has mechanisms to closely interact with the host
language Lisp.  HP-Prolog runs on Hewlett-Packard's 300 series
workstations and possibly on its Spectrum machines as well.

ZYX Corp in Sweden sells ZYX-Prolog, which is "a close relative" of
HP-Prolog, for other systems.  Their address: ZYX, Styrmansgaten 6,
S-114 54 Stockholm, Sweden.  Phone: +46 8 653205.
EUNET:...mcvax!enea!te

aj@zyx.UUCP (Arndt Jonasson) (03/20/88)

In article <54200005@hplabsb.UUCP> mohan@hplabsb.UUCP (Joseph Mohan) writes:

>HP-Prolog is implemented in Common Lisp.  It really is two languages:
>Q-Prolog, which is close to C-Prolog, and Z-Prolog, which is a
>Lisp-ish dialect and has mechanisms to closely interact with the host
>language Lisp.  HP-Prolog runs on Hewlett-Packard's 300 series
>workstations and possibly on its Spectrum machines as well.

No, not on Spectrum (also known as series 800) machines.

>ZYX Corp in Sweden sells ZYX-Prolog, which is "a close relative" of
>HP-Prolog, for other systems.  Their address: ZYX, Styrmansgaten 6,
>S-114 54 Stockholm, Sweden.  Phone: +46 8 653205.             ^- should be 'a'
>EUNET:...mcvax!enea!te

The above is correct, except for the Email address; 'te' is no longer
working here. You can contact me if you have any questions.

--
Arndt Jonasson, ZYX Sweden AB, Styrmansgatan 6, 114 54 Stockholm, Sweden
email address:	 aj@zyx.SE	or	<backbone>!mcvax!enea!zyx!aj

kers@otter.hple.hp.com (Christopher Dollin) (03/21/88)

Someone (the original note has been discumknackerated) wanted ...

> information on implementations of PROLOG in Lisp.  Any pointers

Well ... it't doesn't qualify in the *letter* but perhaps in the *spirit* ...
Poplog Prolog is implemented in Pop11[*1] with a little[*2] help from the
Poplog Virtual Machine.

Pop11 is like Lisp[*3] in that it has dynamic typing, dynamic store allocation
with garbage collection, first class (really, *1st*, not 1.5st) procedures,
lexical scoping, and run-time access to the compiler. It is unlike Lisp in that
it has a concrete syntax, open stack, partial application, user-defined
datatypes that aren't just funny uses of vectors or lists, and coroutines.

I think I'll go and lie down. Notefeet follow.

[*1] Systems Designers market Poplog in the USA and UK for commercial clients.
     Sussex University deal with educational establishments in the UK, and
     Robin Popplestone does so in the USA.

[*2] OK, quite a lot really.

[*3] When I say Lisp I mean Vulgar - sorry, Common - Lisp.

Regards,
Kers                                    | "Why Lisp if you can talk Poperly?"

jeff@aiva.ed.ac.uk (Jeff Dalton) (03/29/88)

In article <1600009@otter.hple.hp.com> kers@otter.hple.hp.com
(Christopher Dollin) writes:
>Pop11 is like Lisp[*3] in that it has dynamic typing, dynamic store allocation
>with garbage collection, first class (really, *1st*, not 1.5st) procedures,

I hesitate to say this in a Prolog group, but I think we should avoid
random pokes at Lisp, especially when they are at least somewhat
misleading.  Pop11 did not have 1st class functions (as opposed to
"frozen formals") until it added lexical scoping.

Cheers,
Jeff