[net.movies] a "mistake" in AVTAK

phil@amdcad.UUCP (Phil Ngai) (06/10/85)

I saw a review that claimed the premise of AVTAK was wrong, that instead
of cornering the market on ICs by blowing up Silicon Valley, that most
of the consumers of ICs were in Silicon Valley and the market would be
almost eliminated by such action. (actually, the market is sort of
crippled already [hey chuqui, are you still there?])

Any comments on this? I happen to suspect it is wrong, that many computers
are manufactured outside of Silicon Valley, like the IBM PC. Commercial
real estate here is pretty expensive for low tech assembly. And I read
that things like PBXs use a LOT of memory devices.

--
 People do what management inspects, not what management expects.

 Phil Ngai (408) 749-5720
 ARPA: amdcad!phil@decwrl.ARPA

root@trwatf.UUCP (Lord Frith) (06/11/85)

In article <1567@amdcad.UUCP> phil@amdcad.UUCP (Phil Ngai) writes:
> I saw a review that claimed the premise of AVTAK was wrong, that instead
> of cornering the market on ICs by blowing up Silicon Valley, that most
> of the consumers of ICs were in Silicon Valley and the market would be
> almost eliminated by such action. (actually, the market is sort of
> crippled already [hey chuqui, are you still there?])
>
> Any comments on this? I happen to suspect it is wrong, that many computers
> are manufactured outside of Silicon Valley, like the IBM PC. Commercial
> real estate here is pretty expensive for low tech assembly. And I read
> that things like PBXs use a LOT of memory devices.

I believe you are right.  I was going to mention this myself, but it
didn't really seem to be that important....

Boat-loads of chips are fabricated in good old Singapore as well as
Korea and a lot of other places.  Guess why.  That's right, cheap
labor.  In this country teeny tiny little circuit-smiths are in short
supply.

Silicon Valley is so firmly entrenched in the minds of the common
people as the meca of high-tech manufacturing that the writers just
decided to do a little fabrication of their own.  Also sounds like the
writers are trying to perpetuate the myth that America is somehow
independent when it comes to high technology.  After all, we invented
the television!

What about the really specialized chips?  VHSIC and VLSI chips.  I'll
bet these are manufactured in Texas and Silicon Valley.  Any hardware
people out there care to comment on this?
--

UUCP: ...{decvax,ihnp4,allegra}!seismo!trwatf!root	- Lord Frith
ARPA: trwatf!root@SEISMO

"Give a man a horse... and he thinks he's enormous"