[comp.lang.prolog] prolog review needed

grig8348@fredonia.UUCP (LoyEllen Griggs) (04/25/88)

I am looking into a prolog for my AT compatible, and need some help.  I need
a compiler that produces stand-alone executables with reasonable I/O.  Some
graphics capabilities and extended backtracking control are also useful.

From what I hear, Arity prolog sounds pretty good, but $1000 is a lot of
money for an undergrad to spend without being sure.  Does anyone have Arity
with the full development package?  Is there another nice, inexpensive prolog
for AT comps?

Much appreciation! (Thanks in advance)

!                                             "Cogito Ergo Sum"  _____        !
!                                                              \| . . |       !
!      '. .`                                                   ,|_____|       !
!        _    LoyEllen                                        (_________      !
!                                                             |=======+=|     !
!                                                              ~~~~~~~~~      !
!  SUNY at Fredonia, UUCP:..decvax!sunybcs!fredonia!grig8348                  !
!  "The Word?  The word is NO.  I am therefore going anyway." -Star Trek III  !

todd@uhccux.UUCP (Todd Ogasawara) (05/06/88)

In article <934@fredonia.UUCP> grig8348@fredonia.UUCP (LoyEllen Griggs) writes:
>From what I hear, Arity prolog sounds pretty good, but $1000 is a lot of
>money for an undergrad to spend without being sure.  Does anyone have Arity
>with the full development package?  Is there another nice, inexpensive prolog
>for AT comps?

I have the Arity Prolog interpreter, compiler, and advanced toolkit.
Arity's list prices are a bit high.  However, they give very generous
educational discounts.  They are also looking into site licenses.  I
suggest you call Arity and ask about their educational discount.  You will
be pleasantly surprised by the prices you hear.

Usual disclaimer: I have no association with Arity execpt as a customer.
--
Todd Ogasawara, U. of Hawaii Faculty Development Program
UUCP:		{ihnp4,uunet,ucbvax,dcdwest}!ucsd!nosc!uhccux!todd