[comp.lang.prolog] Object-Oriented Programming in Prolog References

keller@quintus.UUCP (Bob Keller) (05/07/88)

There have been several requests (but no answers) for references
on object-oriented programming in Prolog.  Here are a few I've seen:

[1]   C. Zaniolo.
      Object-oriented programming in Prolog.
      In D. DeGroot (editor), First Symposium on Logic Programming, pages
         265-270.  IEEE, February, 1984.

[2]   E.P. Stabler, Jr.
      OOPS: An object-oriented prolog system,
      AI Expert (appeared in late 1986 or 1987).

[3]   ELSA Software.
      ELSA LAP 2.0 manual.
      Engineering for Logic and System Application
      Meudon-La-Foret, France, 1988.

[4]   M. Hein, G.K. Kraetzschmar, W. Tank, C. Unbehend, and J. Mertens.
      Genesis: An object-oriented extension of Prolog.
      Expertise, Inc., West Berlin, 1987.

[5]   K. Fukunaga and S. Hirose.
      An experience with a Prolog-based object-oriented language.
      In N. Meyrowitz (editor), OOPSLA '86 Proceedings, pages 224-231.  ACM,
         New York, September, 1986.

[6]   Quintus Computer Systems, Inc.
      ProTALK Programmer's Guide; and ProWINDOWS Reference Manual.
      (evaluation version, 1988)

nxm7669@acf5.NYU.EDU (Nik. Markantonatos) (05/08/88)

A number of articles deal also with object-oriented programming and
concurrent logic languages (primarily Concurrent Prolog and Parlog):

[1] Shapiro & Takeuchi, Object Oriented programming in Concurrent Prolog,
    New Generation Computing 1(1), 1983.

[2] Kahn, Tribble et al., Objects in Concurrent Logic Programming Languages,
    OOPSLA '86, SIGPLAN Notices 21(11), 1986.

[3] Kahn et al., Vulcan: Logical Concurrent Objects, in Shapiro (ed)
    `Concurrent Prolog', MIT Press, 1987.

[4] Davison, Objects and Meta Objects in Parlog, Research Report, Imperial
    College, 1987.

[5] Davison, Polka: A Parlog Object Oriented Language, Research Report,
    Imperial College, 1988.

   Nick Markantonatos                                  markan@csd2.nyu.edu

From: gxp7658@acf5.NYU.EDU (Georgios Papadopoulos)
Date: 7-May-88 09:47 EDT
Subject: Re: Greek racism
Newsgroups: soc.culture.greek

     The `Greek Accent', a magazine written in english for greek-americans
did a poll among its readers on how favourable they were towards Dukakis
with the following results:

	     Favourable : 60%
	     Don't Know : 21%
	     Against    : 19%

   As you can see those who are more active greek-americans (I deduce
this from the fact that they are subscribers to the greek-american
magazine) hardly support Dukakis more than the general populationd does
(correct me if I'm wrong but I think this is 55%).

   As you mention supporting Dukakis solely because he is greek is a
bad thing and I think so too ('cause what if he proves a bad president,
then it's our shame also). It is more of quriuosity initially that greeks
go to see the first candidate of greek origin for the presidency.
Are we alone in believing that he would make a damn good president after
listening to him?

I had the opportunity to be in a ceremony in NYU in which both Dukakis
and the foreign minister Mr Schultz were present and gave speeches,
more than a year ago (actually 29 March 1987). The whole University
Senate was attending (hardly any greeks) and they were those who
did not stop clasping their hands after we did when Dukakis finished
his talk. Dukakis was mostly uknown back then.

   My conclusion is that it is not only luck that brought Dukakis so
close to the presidency and not only blood that makes greeks support him.
Otherwise greeks would be very stupid indeed, wouldn't they?

   Regards,

   Georgios Papadopoulos

fuchs@unizh.UUCP (fuchs) (05/08/88)

In article <937@trantor.quintus.UUCP> keller@quintus.UUCP writes:
>There have been several requests (but no answers) for references
>on object-oriented programming in Prolog.  Here are a few I've seen:

I sent the following list of references to the three or four requesters. Since
there seems to be general interest I submit the list to comp.lang.prolog. Please
send me any additional pointers.

   --- nef

------

H. Ait-Kaci, R. Nasr, Login: A Logic Programming Language with Built-In
Inheritance, Journal of Logic Programming, 1986:3:185-215

Allen et al., The HORNE Reasoning System in Common Lisp, Technical Report
TR 126, Department of Computer Science, University of Rochester, 1986

Arity Corporation, The Arity Expert Systems Development Package (David
Drager), 1986

J. S. Conery, Object-Oriented Programming with First-Order Logic,
Technical Report CIS-TR-87-09, Department of Computer Science,
University of Oregon, Eugene, Oregon 97403

J. L. and C. Y. Cuadrado, AI in Computer Vision, Byte, January 86, pp. 237 -
258

T. Finin, P. Kleinosky, J. McAdams, Forest - An Expert System for
Automatic Test Equipment, First IEEE Conference on Artificial Intelligence
Applications, Denver, 1984. Also available as Technical Report
MS-CIS-84-09, Dept. of Computer Science, University of Pennsyslvania,
Philadelphia, PA 19104

K. Fukunaga, S. Hirose, An Experience with a Prolog-Based Object-Oriented
Language, Oopsla Proceedings 1986 (ACM Sigplan Notices Vol. 21 # 11,
November 1986)

E. Gullichsen, Bigger Talk: Object-Oriented Prolog, Technical Report
STP-125-85, MCC Software Technology Program, 9430 Research Blvd.,
Austin, TX 78759, 1985

P. J. Hayes, The Logic of Frames, in Brachman & Levesque, Readings in
Knowledge Representation, Morgan Kaufmann, 1985

C. T. Huu, U. Kekeritz, Eine Frame Implementation in Prolog (in German),
Rundbrief des Fachausschusses 1.2 der GI, April 1986, pp. 19-25

Interface Computer, Objekt-orientierte Programmierung in Prolog (in
German), IF Prolog Interface, Vol. 1, #3, Oct. 86

K. Kahn, E. D. Tribble, M. S. Miller, D. G. Bobrow, Objects in Concurrent Logic
Programming Languages, SIGPLAN Notices Vol. 21 #10, October 86, and
Oopsla Proceedings 1986

R. Keller, Expert System Technology: Development & Application, Yourdon
Press (Prentice Hall), 1987

N. S. Lee, Programming with P-Shell, IEEE Expert, Summer 1986. The
P-Shell software is available from AT&T

J. Malpas, Prolog, A Relational Language and Its Applications,
Prentice-Hall, chapter 6, 1987

P. Mello, A. Natali, Objects as Communicating Prolog Units, Proceedings of
ECOOP'87, pp. 181- 191, Lectures Notes in Computer Science #276,
Springer 1987

H. Nakashima, Knowledge Representation in Prolog, IEEE 1984 International
Symposium on Logic Programming, Atlantic City, pp. 126 - 130

E. Shapiro, A. Takeuchi, Object-Oriented Programming in Concurrent Prolog,
New Generation Computing 1, 1983, pp. 25-48

E. P. Stabler, Object-Oriented Programming in Prolog, AI Expert, October
1986, pp. 46 - 57

Technische Hochschule Darmstadt (FRG), Fachbereich Informatik,
Sachbericht fuer den Zeitraum 1.1.86 bis 30.6.86 (in German)

M. Tokoro, Y. Ishikawa, An Object-Oriented Approach to Knowledge
Systems, Proceedings of the Conference on Fifth Generation Computer
Systems, 1984, 623-631

J. Wagner sent me the source of an object-oriented extension to Prolog he
developed. Wagner is at the Center for the Study of Language and
Information (CSLI) in Stanford, CA.  (gandalf@Russell.Stanford.edu)

C. Zaniolo, Object-Oriented Programming in Prolog, IEEE 1984 International
Symposium on Logic Programming 1984, pp. 265 - 270