[net.movies] A VIEW TO A KILL theme

ucoelm@sw1c.UUCP (06/07/85)

I am surprised that nobody has commented on the fact that Duran, Duran
was even singing the theme to AVTAK. Cubby Brocolli has had a strong
preference to only female singers singing the Bond theme songs. This
rule has been violated only once before with Paul McCartney. When Paul
McCartney and Wings sang the theme to _Live_and_Let_Die_ (which I think
he wrote), I am told that Cubby only relented because Paul kept insisting
that he sing it. Cubby was reportedly pleased with the results. I wonder
what's the story behind Duran, Duran singing the theme. Anybody out there
in net land know?

--
					Lee Morehead
				Southwestern Bell Telephone Co.

My opinions are my own ... no one else will claim them.

"Tell them Willy boy is here...and he's eating the furniture again."

edward@ukma.UUCP (Edward C. Bennett) (06/08/85)

In article <146@sw1c.UUCP>, ucoelm@sw1c.UUCP writes:
> Cubby Brocolli has had a strong
> preference to only female singers singing the Bond theme songs. This
> rule has been violated only once before with Paul McCartney.
> 					Lee Morehead

	Wrongo Lee. Themes had been sung three times before by males.

Dr No: (The James Bond theme) <instrumental>
*From Russia with Love: <some English GUY whose name I can't remember>
Goldfinger: Shirley Bassey
*Thunderball: Tom Jones
You Only Live Twice: Nancy Sinatra
*On Her Majesty's Secret Service: (We've All the Time in the World)
					Louie Armstrong
Diamonds are Forever: Shirley Bassey
Live and Let Die: Paul McCartney and Wings
The Man with the Golden Gun: Lulu
The Spy Who Loved Me: Carly Simon
Moonraker: Shirley Bassey
For Your Eyes Only: Sheena Easton
Octopussy: (All Time High) Rita Coolidge
A View to a Kill: Duran Duran

"Do you expect me to talk?"
				"No Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!"

--
edward
		 {ucbvax,unmvax,boulder,research}!anlams! -|
  |     \  _
   \___/ \=		"Well, what's on the television then?"
			"Looks like a penguin."
Support barrier free design

merchant@dartvax.UUCP (Peter Merchant) (06/08/85)

> I am surprised that nobody has commented on the fact that Duran, Duran
> was even singing the theme to AVTAK. Cubby Brocolli has had a strong
> preference to only female singers singing the Bond theme songs. This
> rule has been violated only once before with Paul McCartney. When Paul
> McCartney and Wings sang the theme to _Live_and_Let_Die_ (which I think
> he wrote), I am told that Cubby only relented because Paul kept insisting
> that he sing it. Cubby was reportedly pleased with the results. I wonder
> what's the story behind Duran, Duran singing the theme. Anybody out there
> in net land know?
>
> --
> 					Lee Morehead

Maybe he couldn't tell they weren't?

Actually, I think "Dance into the Fire" is one of the better Duran Duran
songs.  Of course, there are those out there who will say that there is
no such thing.  I politely ask them to go away.

The video is pretty good, too, except at the end.  The "My names Bon.  Simon
Le Bon" deeply sickened me, being a serious Bond fan.  They interspliced the
film clips and the video very well, unlike "Axel F." from Harold Faltermeyer,
where they superimposed him on the film and made it look grim.

I suggest the video to many Duran Duran haters.  I suppose there's nothing
pleasanter than watching one of them get offed.
--
"The name is Bondage."                           Peter Merchant

steve@anasazi.UUCP (Steve Villee) (06/11/85)

Live and Let Die was not the only other Bond movie whose theme song
was sung by a male singer.  From Russia with Love had an instrumental
beginning, but the end was sung by some guy.  And I believe Tom Jones
sang the theme song to Thunderball.

--- Steve Villee (asuvax!anasazi!steve)
    International Anasazi, Inc.
    2219 East University Drive
    Phoenix, Arizona 85034
    (602) 275-0302

boyajian@akov68.DEC (JERRY BOYAJIAN) (06/12/85)

> From:	sw1c!ucoelm	(Lee Morehead)

> I am surprised that nobody has commented on the fact that Duran, Duran
> was even singing the theme to AVTAK. Cubby Brocolli has had a strong
> preference to only female singers singing the Bond theme songs. This
> rule has been violated only once before with Paul McCartney.

You mean that *wasn't* Tom Jones singing "Thunderball"???? :-)

--- jayembee (Jerry Boyajian, DEC, Maynard, MA)

UUCP:	{decvax|ihnp4|allegra|ucbvax|...}!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-akov68!boyajian
ARPA:	boyajian%akov68.DEC@DECWRL.ARPA
   soon to be:
	boyajian%akov68.DEC@DECWRL.COM

ucoelm@sw1c.UUCP (06/14/85)

>> From:	sw1c!ucoelm	(Lee Morehead)

>> I am surprised that nobody has commented on the fact that Duran, Duran
>> was even singing the theme to AVTAK. Cubby Brocolli has had a strong
>> preference to only female singers singing the Bond theme songs. This
>> rule has been violated only once before with Paul McCartney.

> You mean that *wasn't* Tom Jones singing "Thunderball"???? :-)

> --- jayembee (Jerry Boyajian, DEC, Maynard, MA)

> UUCP:	{decvax|ihnp4|allegra|ucbvax|...}!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-akov68!boyajian
> ARPA:	boyajian%akov68.DEC@DECWRL.ARPA
>   soon to be:
>	boyajian%akov68.DEC@DECWRL.COM

OK! OK! I made a mistake. There have been several male singers of Bond
Themes as has been pointed out to me several times by various people.
You all take great delight in pointing out mistakes don't you? :-)
I forgot about Tom Jones in "Thunderball" and frankly don't remember
the themes at all for "From Russia with Love" and "On Her Majesty's
Secret Service"; two other films with reportedly male singers.

Actually, the statement that I made about Mr. Brocolli's preference
toward female theme singers came from another source and not from my
own recollection. Therefore, either that source is dead wrong or
maybe Mr. Brocolli's preference is a recent one. You still have to
admit though, that of all the Bond films made thus far, only a few
have had male singers. Maybe this is more than just a coincidence.