[net.movies] There was an intermission in 2001

jts@cornell.UUCP (06/01/85)

From: jts (Jim Sasaki)

> From: kevin%bach.DEC@decwrl.ARPA
>
> MGM is currently distributing ``2001'' WITH AN INTERMISSION built into it!

Well, I saw 2001 when it was first released (lo these many years ago, sigh), and
it had an intermission back then, too.  It came just after the scene where HAL
reads Bowman's and Poole's lips through one of the pod windows.

As I recall, it gave people a chance to become apprehensive about what HAL might
be up to, though I guess nowadays it isn't so important.

    Jim Sasaki (jts@cornell, {decvax|ihnp4|uw-beaver|vax135|...}!cornell!jts)

ughenry@sunybcs.UUCP (Henry Neeman) (06/06/85)

> > From: kevin%bach.DEC@decwrl.ARPA
> > MGM is currently distributing ``2001'' WITH AN INTERMISSION built into it!
> Well, I saw 2001 when it was first released (lo these many years ago, sigh), and
> it had an intermission back then, too.  It came just after the scene where HAL
> reads Bowman's and Poole's lips through one of the pod windows.
> As I recall, it gave people a chance to become apprehensive about what HAL might
> be up to, though I guess nowadays it isn't so important.
>     Jim Sasaki (jts@cornell, {decvax|ihnp4|uw-beaver|vax135|...}!cornell!jts)

  As a matter of fact, I recall hearing some t.v. reviewer (Roger Ebert?)
telling about how the hippies used to hang around movie theatres (this was
'69, I believe) that were playing 2001 and wait for the intermission.  Then
they'd sneak into the crowd, go into the theatre with the rest of the
folks (unnoticed), walk down to the front of the theatre, *lie down* on
the floor in front of the screen and drop some acid.
  By the time the Stargate sequence began, they'd be really tripping.
  Oh, by the way...did anyone remember that the teaser slogan on the 2001
posters was "The Ultimate Trip"?

--

                     Henry J. Neeman (ughenry@buffalo)

  "Well, no, we don't have _Rarnaby_Budge_ by Charles Dikkens with two
k's the famous Dutch author, and perhaps to save time I should add that
we don't have _Carnaby_Fudge_ by Darles Chickens, or _Farnbarous_Snudge_
by Miles Pickens or even _Stickwick_Stapers_ by Tharles Wickens with
four "m"'s and a silent "q"!  Why don't you try W. H. Smith's!"
  "I did.  They sent me here."
  "Did they."

nm34@sdcc12.UUCP (nm34) (06/06/85)

>   Oh, by the way...did anyone remember that the teaser slogan on the 2001
> posters was "The Ultimate Trip"?
>
> --
>
>                      Henry J. Neeman (ughenry@buffalo)

     I'm not sure, since I was one of those hippies who was lying down
in the front row (I paid and came in at the begining), but wasn't this
the  subtitle on the screen in the original releases.  All I can
remember is seeing the title:

                                2001: A Space Odyssey

                                 The Ultimate Trip

and thinking through the purple haze, "WOW, I'm ready".

     No one who was with me that night could remember that subtitle.
Did I make it up, or was it really there?

                           - Andy Bindman

klr@hadron.UUCP (Kurt L. Reisler) (06/07/85)

I saw 2001 the first week it was out in Pittsburgh.  A group of us went
downtown to see it after school (gad that was a long time ago).  Not only
was there an intermission, but a lot of the sequences were longer, increasing
the total length of the movie.  I also remember that I was one of the few
who enjoyed it.  Any others out there who remember... "The Ultimate Trip"?

waltt@tekecs.UUCP (Walt Tucker) (06/15/85)

> I saw 2001 the first week it was out in Pittsburgh.  A group of us went
> downtown to see it after school (gad that was a long time ago).  Not only
> was there an intermission, but a lot of the sequences were longer, increasing
> the total length of the movie.  I also remember that I was one of the few
> who enjoyed it.  Any others out there who remember... "The Ultimate Trip"?

I, too saw it first when it came out in 1968 (1969?).  I was in fifth grade
at the time and vaguely remember "The Ultimate Trip" tag.  Of course, I was
too young at the time to gather the social significance, but I remember we
had fun for the next few years offering interpretations of the movie as we
became older and more worldly.  Then I bought the book...

                                 -- Walt