[net.movies] "Creeping Terror"

rdz@ccice5.UUCP (Robert D. Zarcone) (06/04/85)

I have seen several people claim on this net that the original soundtrack
to this classic was lost and, hence, all the narration.  Please correct
me, but I thought the soundtrack (at least at the time this flick was
made) was recorded right on the film (on the edges?).  If this is so,
how do you loose the sound and still keep the picture?

davew@shark.UUCP (Dave Williams) (06/10/85)

In article <845@ccice5.UUCP> rdz@ccice5.UUCP (Robert D. Zarcone) writes:
>I have seen several people claim on this net that the original soundtrack
>to this classic was lost and, hence, all the narration.  Please correct
>me, but I thought the soundtrack (at least at the time this flick was
>made) was recorded right on the film (on the edges?).  If this is so,
>how do you loose the sound and still keep the picture?

*** REPLACE THIS LINE WITH YOUR SOUNDTRACK ***

Release prints generally have an optical soundtrack 3 mm wide running
next to the picture area on 35 mm film. This track is 26 frames ahead
of the picture frame it goes with as the photo-optical playback unit
in the projector is located at that distance in the film path. If the
sound were recorded directly on the film negative at the time of
filming it would make editing and dubbing impossible. Sound during
filming (dialog,etc) is recorded on a seperate 35 mm magnetic film.
This is a standard 35 mm acetate film stock that has magnetic material
added the length of the film
between the sprocket holes. This film is synced up with the
camera so that there is a sprocket for sprocket lock between the
audio and visual films. Sound effects, music, re-dubbing of dialog,
if required, are then recorded on separate tracks
and then mixed onto a master soundtrack. This master
is then used to make the optical recording used for the released prints.
Many times a Nagra, Struder or other magnetic tape recorder is used
during filming. A special signal is recorded on the tape (called
magnetic sprocket holes) so that sync with the camera can be maintained.
This tape is then duped onto magnetic film for further handling.
Some release prints use magnetic soundtracks that are striped onto
the print and recorded after processing. These are generally used
for first run engagements asthey are quite expensive to make. The
optical track is still the predominate method of recording. Two
systems exist: The RCA Photophone, which is called variable area
recording: and Litton Westrex, which is called variable density
recording. The Westrex system was originally developed by
Western Electric.

Having worked in the technical end of motion pictures and television
I just can't buy the story of a lost sound track. My guess is they
shot the film silent and then attempted to dub the sound after the
fact. They probably ran out of money so went to the narration bit
as a quick and dirty way off getting this epic released.
--

                                    Dave Williams
                                    Tektronix, Inc.

    "The 6000 Family"
"The workstations that made
    Wilsonville famous."

csdf@mit-vax.UUCP (csdf) (06/17/85)

In article <1426@shark.UUCP> davew@shark.UUCP (Dave Williams) writes:
>In article <845@ccice5.UUCP> rdz@ccice5.UUCP (Robert D. Zarcone) writes:
>>I have seen several people claim on this net that the original soundtrack
>>to this classic was lost and, hence, all the narration.  Please correct
>>me, but I thought the soundtrack (at least at the time this flick was
>>made) was recorded right on the film (on the edges?).  If this is so,
>>how do you loose the sound and still keep the picture?
>>

>Having worked in the technical end of motion pictures and television
>I just can't buy the story of a lost sound track. My guess is they
>shot the film silent and then attempted to dub the sound after the
>fact. They probably ran out of money so went to the narration bit
>as a quick and dirty way off getting this epic released.
>--

I read in the wonderful book, _The_Golden_Turkey_Awards_ that the
soundtrack was lost and thus necessitated the dubbing. A friend of
mine's mother was actually an extra in the film (during the high-school
dance scene). He also claims that the soundtrack was lost. The film was
shot in some small town in the midwest (I forget where), because the
town would be very cooperative to the film makers. This films is so
incredibly low budget that it seems pretty clear to me that the
soundtrack could have been lost.

Let us not forget that during the filming of Superman I, the film crew
and actors were flown up to Canada to shoot the fortress of solitude
scenes. A couple weeks after their return, they had to go back to shoot
some scenes they had forgotten, thus adding to the incredible cost
overruns.

--
Charles Forsythe
CSDF@MIT-VAX.ARPA