[comp.lang.prolog] info on prolog compilers/interpreters wanted

plipp@tugiig (Lipp Peter) (08/12/88)

As I want to make Prolog more accepted as a possibility for
developing interesting programs I need Information on good
- better: excelent - prolog-systems (interpreter and compilers).
(A collegue came back from a trip to universities in the US and
told me people were laughing at the idea of using prolog in
vlsi - must have been a lisp department)
Our current prologs are more or less unsuitable for
"professional" usage. What would you recommend?
Our machinery: PC-kompatibles and Apollos, possibly Vaxes (less
prefered).

Please reply via email to

Peter Lipp
University of Technology Graz
Institute for Informationprocessing
Schiesstattgasse 4a
A-8020 Graz
Austria
plipp@tugiig.uucp

ok@quintus.uucp (Richard A. O'Keefe) (08/14/88)

In article <31@tugiig> plipp@tugiig (Lipp Peter) writes:
>(A collegue came back from a trip to universities in the US and
>told me people were laughing at the idea of using Prolog in
>VLSI - must have been a Lisp department.)
>Our current prologs are more or less unsuitable for
>"professional" usage.  What would you recommend?

Well, I don't suppose anyone doubts what I would recommend (:-).
If any of our customers are laughing at the idea of using Prolog
for VLSI work, it must be because they are happy.
[They laughed at Galileo.
 They laughed at Semmelweiss.
 They laughed at Alvarez.
]
There are a lot of different tasks connected with VLSI.
People use SPICE for simulation (written in Fortran).
They might use the Berkeley tools for design (written in C).
Prolog has been used for "silicon compilers" and in tools for
converting between different circuit representation languages,
also in verification work.

>Our machinery: PC-compatibles and Apollos, possibly Vaxes (less
>preferred).
When it comes to software for Apollos, your regional Apollo office
should be able to provide you with a catalogue of interesting programs
available for Apollos, and there is at least one rather good Prolog in
that category...

[They also laughed at Bozo the Clown.
 He _didn't_ use Prolog, poor thing.
]