[comp.lang.prolog] Looking for sources to SB-Prolog....

840493n@aucs.UUCP (BILLY A. NICKERSON) (10/13/88)

Hello All.
I have SB (Stony Brook) Prolog, a public domain Prolog for my Amiga 1000
but I can't run it due to lack of memory.
I read that it was originally developed under UNIX and that the source is
PD. My problem is that we recently had a new system installed here at Acadia
and we have yet to receive our Prolog system. Because of this, we (the guys
in my AI class) have no system to write our assignments and our term project
on. The problem is sort of serious and I was wondering if someone could
either point us toward the sources or e-mail arc'd sources to us for
installation here. Any extra information would certainly be appreciated.
I hear it is quite a complete version of Prolog.

...Bill (and  the COMP 4513 class)

kline@arizona.edu (Nick Kline) (10/15/88)

In article <1302@aucs.UUCP> 840493n@aucs.UUCP (BILLY A. NICKERSON) writes:

>Hello All.
>I have SB (Stony Brook) Prolog, a public domain Prolog for my Amiga 1000
>but I can't run it due to lack of memory.
>on. The problem is sort of serious and I was wondering if someone could
>either point us toward the sources or e-mail arc'd sources to us for
>installation here. Any extra information would certainly be appreciated.
>I hear it is quite a complete version of Prolog.
>
>...Bill (and  the COMP 4513 class)

Bill,

send mail to  Samura Debray at the U of Arizona.  He is kind of a maintainer of
SB Prolog, and he worked on it while he was at Stony Brook.

His mail address is  Debray@arizona.edu

He left a message on this group about 10 messages ago.

Nick

dharvey@wsccs.UUCP (David Harvey) (10/24/88)

You are not the only person who is looking for Stony Brook Prolog for
Unix machines.  We could really use one on our MicroVAX running Ultrix.
Our school only got Quintus Prolog for the 8700 running VMS and since the
Administration started using that machine the performance went straight
down the tubes.  Even normal DCL type stuff has some of us waiting for
2-3 seconds for characters to be echoed back to the terminal!  If the
administration had just spent the extra few thousand for rights to run
on more machines we wouldn't have any problems.  Now we can't afford
it for the other machines.
I wrote to what I thought was the address at Arizona (or was it Arizona
State?) posted by Richard O'Keefe.  It must have gone into a black hole
since it neither boomeranged back and I have not received a reply in
over a month.  I would be happy to distribute it to other schools here
in Utah personally if I could get it.  Any further pointers?

dharvey@wsccs

snail mail:
David A Harvey
Box 291
Weber State College
Ogden, Utah
84408-0291

arman@oahu.cs.ucla.edu (Arman Bostani) (10/26/88)

In article <750@wsccs.UUCP> dharvey@wsccs.UUCP (David Harvey) writes:
>You are not the only person who is looking for Stony Brook Prolog for
>Unix machines ...

>David A Harvey

Last time I checked, sbprolog was available via anonymous FTP from
megaron.arizona.edu.

-- Arman Bostani // UCLA Computer Science Department // +1 213-825-3194
	3417 Boelter Hall // Los Angeles, California 90024-1596 // USA
	arman@CS.UCLA.EDU   ...!(ucbvax,rutgers)!ucla-cs!arman

ok@quintus.uucp (Richard A. O'Keefe) (10/26/88)

In article <750@wsccs.UUCP> dharvey@wsccs.UUCP (David Harvey) writes:
>You are not the only person who is looking for Stony Brook Prolog for
>Unix machines.  We could really use one on our MicroVAX running Ultrix.
>Our school only got Quintus Prolog for the 8700 running VMS ...

If anyone else has a problem like this, where the machine you first got
Quintus Prolog for is now saturated and you'd rather be using another
machine, get in touch with our Sales people.  I have no idea what they
might do about it, but if you don't tell them they won't know you have
a problem.

Saumya Debray's E-mail address is
	debray@arizona.edu
There is a new version of Stony Brook Prolog (the files on the tape he
sent me were dated 15 Sep 88).  This version is version 2.5.

However, there are a couple of bugs.  As I find them, I'm sending Debray
E-mail, so it might be worth waiting a bit.  You may find that it is
cheaper to get an academic licence for uVAX/Ultrix Quintus Prolog than
to fix free software...

msf@prandtl.nas.nasa.gov (Michael S. Fischbein) (10/27/88)

In article <17212@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU> arman@cs.ucla.edu (Arman Bostani) writes:
>Last time I checked, sbprolog was available via anonymous FTP from
>megaron.arizona.edu.

Which has net address 192.12.69.1 and is also known as just arizona.edu,
according to our host table.
		mike
Michael Fischbein                 msf@prandtl.nas.nasa.gov
                                  ...!seismo!decuac!csmunix!icase!msf
These are my opinions and not necessarily official views of any
organization.

Hi,
   Can anybody tell me the e-mail address of Dr. Dobry of UC, Berkeley?
   Thanks in advance.

From: kuan@cpsvax.cps.msu.edu (Yih-pyng Kuan)