[comp.lang.prolog] Prolog Programs Wanted

g-suders@rocky.cs.wisc.edu.CS.WISC.EDU (S. Sudarshan) (10/28/88)

REQUEST FOR PROLOG PROGRAMS !!

I posted this article with distribution: us several days back, but haven't
got any replies.  For those of you who would like to help, but think
some one else would do it any way - no - nobody else has done  it, so
please go ahead.

As a course project this semester, I'm doing a study of "real life" prolog
programs.  The aim of this study is to find the extent to which "real life"
prolog programs are purely declarative ( and don't depend on the control
strategy) and the extent to which the control strategy dependency is fairly
small.  This ultimate aim is to study how useful bottom up evaluation strategies
would be, and to see what changes could be made to these to mimic some
(simple) forms of control.
	To achieve this, I need a good ( fairly big sized) collection of
prolog programs.  I request netters who have a collection of prolog programs
to mail me a sample (atleast) set.  Any odd programs will do, whatever be the
application, but comments on the application would be very helpful.
	If the programs are too big to email, but can be ftp'd, please mail
details of how to access them.

Thanks.

S. Sudarshan
Grad. Student, Computer Sciences Dept., Univ. Wisconsin, Madison
		1210 W. Dayton, Madison WI 53706
email: sudarsha@cs.wisc.edu

ok@quintus.uucp (Richard A. O'Keefe) (10/28/88)

In article <6555@spool.cs.wisc.edu> g-suders@rocky.CS.WISC.EDU (S. Sudarshan) writes:
>I posted this article with distribution: us several days back, but haven't
>got any replies.
That posting never reached here.

There was a collection of real programs collected at the Prolog Benchmarking
Workshop;  I'll let the people at Aerospace answer that part of this message.

>As a course project this semester, I'm doing a study of "real life" prolog
>programs.  The aim of this study is to find the extent to which "real life"
>prolog programs are purely declarative (and don't depend on the control
>strategy) and the extent to which the control strategy dependency is fairly
>small.

I can answer this one for you right away:  0.01%.  Good Prolog programmers
try to keep their code pure; even so cuts are, um, not terribly rare.  And
a lot of real life Prolog programmers aren still learning how to use the
language effectively.

>This ultimate aim is to study how useful bottom up evaluation strategies
>would be, and to see what changes could be made to these to mimic some
>(simple) forms of control.

If this is the question you are really interested in, the idea of surveying
existing code seems back to front.  Before Prolog existed, there was no
body of logic programs just waiting for an efficient implementation.  You
won't get people writing programs which would run well on a bottom-up
system until there is a bottom-up system for them to run their programs on.

Do you know about the NAIL! project?  That's a bottom-up logic programming
system aimed at data-baseish applications.

phipps@polya.Stanford.EDU (Geoffrey Phipps) (10/29/88)

As Richard O'Keefe mentioned, the NAIL! project (at Stanford University)
is (partially) concerned with the efficient bottom up evaluation of
logic programs.  Mind you, if top down were found to be more efficient
then we'd use that instead.  We aren't the only ones doing this, for
instance MCC has a system/language called LDL.  Papers on this subject
can be found in PODS and ICLP (and perhaps VLDB?) conference proceedings,
and you could also look at Volume 1 of Ullman's "Principles of Database
and Knowledge Base Systems".  Volume 2 would be more useful but it hasn't
been written yet, making it difficult to look at.

Geoff Phipps, NAIL! group

phipps@solitary.stanford.edu

marti@ethz.UUCP (Robert Marti) (10/31/88)

In article <4738@polya.Stanford.EDU>, phipps@polya.Stanford.EDU (Geoffrey Phipps) writes:
> [ concerning NAIL! ] you could also look at Volume 1 of Ullman's
> "Principles of Database and Knowledge Base Systems".
> Geoff Phipps, NAIL! group

Is this a remake of the 2nd edition of the book "Principles of Database
Systems" (Computer Science Press)?  Is it available yet?

--Bob
--
Robert Marti                    Phone:       +41 1 256 52 36
Institut fur Informatik

thom@tuhold (Thom Fruehwirth) (11/01/88)

Regarding the last e-mails on how and where to get "real life"
Prolog programs: I think there are a lot of other people (incl.
me) who long for them to analyse or verify their ideas about
Prolog.
So could anyone who knows a source please post its address?

Thanks
Thom Fruehwirth

phipps@polya.Stanford.EDU (Geoffrey Phipps) (11/02/88)

In article <665@ethz.UUCP>, marti@ethz.UUCP (Robert Marti) writes:
> In article <4738@polya.Stanford.EDU>, phipps@polya.Stanford.EDU (Geoffrey Phipps) writes:
> > [ concerning NAIL! ] you could also look at Volume 1 of Ullman's
> > "Principles of Database and Knowledge Base Systems".
> > Geoff Phipps, NAIL! group
>
> Is this a remake of the 2nd edition of the book "Principles of Database
> Systems" (Computer Science Press)?  Is it available yet?

It has a lot in common with the 2nd edition, but it has one or two new
chapters, specifically on using Horn Clauses as a database language.
It is available, Computer Science Press.

Geoff Phipps